how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sunfox

join:2003-12-14
Markham, ON

Sync No Surf and/or Bell Walled Garden?

I'm on 25/7(ish) service with Bell, and like others I've had the occasional sync-no-surf issue that requires a reboot of the modem to solve.

However I've also had something else: suddenly, and for no reason, getting stuck behind the Bell Activation Screen. My PPP connection is done through my router, and I use third-party DNS. However, about a half dozen times now, I've suddenly seen that "Let's activate your Bell Service" message pop up. Sometimes it only happens on a single site and then goes away, but I just had one where it was happening constantly. The solution is to renew the PPP connection.

Any idea why this is happening? It's highly annoying!

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16

call Emily she will help you LOL

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1
reply to Sunfox

said by Sunfox:

. . . and I use third-party DNS.

Its been a few days and only one response? I have to comment.

You purchased one of Bell's services that seems to deliver actual download speed and upload speed as opposed the great phrase "up to" and then choose "third-party DNS".

Why?

Bell logs and counts everything going across its network.

Rick

Sunfox

Markham, ON

Because I have never been with an ISP that had reliable, fast DNS. OpenDNS has always been the better choice.

And I'm definitely living in "up to world" in upload speed!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1

I can make something similar to what you experienced happen with my connection

Did you notice what the public ip and dns ip's were while you were stuck at the Bell Activation Screen

Sunfox

Markham, ON

In all except one or two instances where every site would go to the activation screen, the majority of times I was only stuck for *certain sites*.

So, for example, after a day's worth of surfing, suddenly ONE site would resolve to the activation screen... but if I visited other new sites I hadn't been to that day, they would work fine. If I flushed Windows' DNS cache and tried again, the blocked site would start working. However, once this started happening, it would happen more frequently until I reconnected the PPP session.

It seems to me like packet inspection incorrectly intercepting a DNS request and providing a false result.

Someone from Bell sent me a PM this evening, so perhaps they can get to the bottom of this.

However, at this moment, both my router and the modem are connecting using my correct login (previously I had blanked out the modem's credentials as suggested), and I haven't seen this issue crop up in a few days. However it's a waste of a routable IP address.