Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rodjames
Premium
join:2010-06-19
Gloucester, ON

Hey Cogeco, 1Mb/sec is not acceptable.

I'm calling tech support as we speak. This sucks. It took me 30 minutes to post this.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
said by rodjames:

It took me 30 minutes to post this.

... you mean 1Kb/sec, right?

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
either way, I have to type slow.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to rodjames
Speed Test #101365878 by dslreports.com
Run: 2012-03-26 19:29:53 EST
Download: 3366 (Kbps)
Upload: 1039 (Kbps)
In kilobytes per second: 410.9 down 126.8 up
Tested by server: 7 java
User: 1737046 @ dslreports.com
User's DNS: cgocable.net
Compared to the average of 126 tests from cgocable.net:
* download is 67% worse, upload is 1% worse

xfinisherx

join:2011-05-06
omg.....

Thats the speed I was getting with B(h)ell when I was with them.

Now i'm flying at 8.3 Mbps on the Express 8 Package.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to rodjames
yeah I'm "flying" along right now... still not even anywhere close.

I called the rep day of this post and they're crediting my account. She also said it would take until AUGUST to sort out the congestion here in Petawawa.

So, I'm switching to teksavvy end of the month. Cogeco can shove it until September.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames
Oh wow, my internet was down all night and it took a hard reboot to get my modem back online. Thanks Cogeco, now I have to fsck and manually rsync all those folders you fucked up last night.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to rodjames
I just ordered Teksavvy DSL and I am cancelling my Cogeco service on Wednesday. If you guys can't provide the speed you're charging for, then I will take my money elsewhere.

I got 6/800k service from Teksavvy with NO CAPS. If it's not fast enough I'm going to MLPPP that shit up the yin-yang.

Cogeco can suck my left nut. August my ass. You come in this area, oversell your nodes and expect people to put up with it? I know it's the boonies, but some of us out here actually try and make a living online.
Expand your moderator at work

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames

Re: Hey Cogeco, 1Mb/sec is not acceptable.

Waiting on the tech to activate my Teksavvy line as we speak

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
I take it no FTTN speeds up in your neck of the woods? Curious to see your line stats.

Mike

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames
I doubt there's FTTN here.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames
On the phone with retentions now, no offers, no love at all. Send us our modem back.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·loclhost.ca
reply to rodjames
To answer your question about speed tests, yes this is par for the course with Cogeco. They over sell ALL their nodes so they can prove to the government that the need to be charging more for their service because we're a "strain" on their infastructure.

Personally I jumped ship *back* to teksavvy this week I couldn't be happier. All my lights are shining brighter in my house, the water tastes cleaner, and there's no abcess in my wallet now going into crappy internet that you pay for and don't ever get.

Marcer
Premium,VIP
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON
kudos:13
To Answer your question CORRECTLY:

No this is not par for the course with Cogeco, If you can PM me your MAC address Mystic I'd be happy to look into your issue.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames

It sure is par for the course. I've been on Teksavvy for a month and a bit now, no problems. Solid.

Good luck getting me back, as I'm "undesirable"

HamiltonCgo

@cgocable.net
More typical Cogeco hate threads, with people dubbing their problems off as a normal. I've been with Cogeco since 2003 (no juggling ISPs when I have a problem, which it sounds like you do 'going back to') and I haven't had any real issues. I live in a populated area in central Hamilton and my speeds are spot on, faster then advertised in fact. My speed varies from 30-33mbps on the 30 package.

Cogeco is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Maybe some locations have issues, but don't just take it as a general 'everything cogeco sucks'.

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
said by HamiltonCgo :

More typical Cogeco hate threads, with people dubbing their problems off as a normal. I've been with Cogeco since 2003 (no juggling ISPs when I have a problem, which it sounds like you do 'going back to') and I haven't had any real issues. I live in a populated area in central Hamilton and my speeds are spot on, faster then advertised in fact. My speed varies from 30-33mbps on the 30 package.

[att=1]

Cogeco is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Maybe some locations have issues, but don't just take it as a general 'everything cogeco sucks'.

Look at the ping - are we sure this isn't from cogeco itself?

If hate for cogeco is typical (as YOU put it), shouldn't that alone be indicative of something rotten?

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
reply to rodjames
I'm curious as to why you didn't come here for help? By the time you showed up here you were finished with them.

It's too late now for you obviously but I'm interested in the perception of what this forum is for. If people don't perceive this forum as a helpful place then we have a serious problem that needs addressing.
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.

HamiltonCgo

@cgocable.net
reply to EdmundGerber

I certainly do not work for Cogeco, although I find the it amusing that my decent ping gives you that impression. As I said, I get superb service here in Hamilton and I have posted my praise on these forums plenty of times. By 'typical hate', I was referring to the general topic of those in this forum, not so much the customer base as a whole. I have plenty of friends on Cogeco who also have stable, solid connections.

My only bawk if any is the download caps, I do dislike the restriction and having to monitor my usage but I find it hard lately to exceed my allowance of 175GB lately. I guess I'm not the hardcore downloader I once was.

I just wanted to point out in my initial response that your speed issues are not typical (atleast in my opinion, based on my own and people I know's experience) to the company. As I said, some other cities may have totally different issues, maybe Hamilton is just a sweet spot. But I certainly do not have any issues with my connection. Here are a few speed tests from previous runs, the dates show the wide spread testing. I try to check my line every so often for kicks. The two slower entries are me testing my line to other servers, and I think are reasonable results.

rodjames
Premium
Gloucester, ON
reply to rodjames
I was here for help, Marcer did his best. I'm saying that they're shit in this area period.

PERIOD.

kim
That Chick
Premium,Mod
join:2001-03-25
ON
kudos:8
Oh I must have missed it, can you please quote me the text where you asked for help?
--
Fluent in 3 languages: English, Sarcasm and Sexual Innuendo.