Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Guzzler

join:2002-09-24
Tempe, AZ
kudos:1

[CATV] Grey screen?

Hmmmm... Anyone else having issues with their converter box just displaying a grey screen on channels?

I'll be flipping through channels, then wham, every channel is just a grey screen. I have to hard power cycle the box to get things back.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4

if its a cisco 4642 i have been told is a know issue and cisco is working on it i have 1 as well and it will drop even though the signal is fine, if its any other box it could be signal or box problem

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3
reply to Guzzler

Grey screen but with sound? If so, Im guessing HDMI issue. If not...need more info.

Guzzler

Tempe, AZ

No sound. The channel information is displayed, but just a grey screen and no sound.

The converter box is SA Explorer 4240HDC

It just started happening. I did have two short power failures (less than 2min) on Sunday, most likely caused by high winds. But I do use a surge protecting power strip for the converter, DVD and TV.

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ

call tech support and have them check your levels and possible set up for a tech visit

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
reply to Guzzler

The two power failures might have let out some but not all of the magic smoke.

you *do* realize once a power strip has been hit its pretty much worthless for future protection.

Guzzler

Tempe, AZ

I have a decent APC strip. Supposedly as long as the LED is still green, it's still functioning and will still filter surges.

I did have one older APC strip that eventually flipped from green to red one time from to many surges. Called the power company about it when it happened (several years ago), they said they hooked up some monitoring equipment. Oddly enough the transformer behind my house blew during that time. They replaced the transformer and said it was most likely the cause. They were kind enough to replace the strip that was worn out.

ajwees41
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE
reply to Guzzler

does the cable also go through the power strip?

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

Not to retort, since its a valid and important question, but it sounds like he has the OOB for guide data that a connection issue like that would cause. I am thinking more along the lines of a signal amp that may have been damaged by the spike and your Rx is flapping. Do you have any non box TV? Do they go snowy sometimes for a little bit?

Guzzler

Tempe, AZ
reply to Guzzler

The strip doesn't have coax filtering.

I forgot to check to see if channels come through clearly without the converter. Sorry.

Oddly, the grey screen issue hasn't shown up since I originally posted. Weird.