how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Jtmo
Premium
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

[MA] Boston University next weekend, advice?

Due to budget cuts in California, good majors like Bio-Med are full and costs keep going up. So, Boston U has made a very generous offer for my daughter. So, we booked a flight on the 8th for 4 nights.
Actually, she could not go farther away without moving out of the country.... could be trying to tell us something.

I spent a lot of time in Newton, Framingham, Billerica, and Boston in the 80's, but that is a long time ago.

BU appears to be a good school, decent area?
Thinking of staying in Back Bay vs. downtown.
If we stay in Back Bay/Copley, reasonable decent place to eat?
Taking the T out of Logan, I will assume it is still a safe ride?
Since we will be jumping on and off I guess we should buy the $15/Wk pass?
Faneiul hall and Quincy market still good?
BUMC in South End decent if she goes onto to Med school?

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
Reviews:
·MegaNet Communic..
quote:
BU appears to be a good school, decent area?
Yes and yes.

quote:
Thinking of staying in Back Bay vs. downtown.
If we stay in Back Bay/Copley, reasonable decent place to eat?
I don't spend a ton of time in that area, but here's a few ideas:
I like the Trident Cafe on Newbury Street for breakfast/lunch.
»tridentbookscafe.com/
b.good on Mass Ave. (across from the Berklee Performance Center) is good for a quick burger, high-end fast food I guess... with a focus on healthy and homemade.
»www.bgood.com/
If you want a nice sit-down meal (without being outrageously priced) I always enjoy the Eastern Standard for dinner, it's in Kenmore Square. They're open 7AM - 1:30AM so it's handy if you need to eat at some oddball time... I've never been there for breakfast, though.
»easternstandardboston.com/

quote:
Taking the T out of Logan, I will assume it is still a safe ride?
Yes, no problem. Be aware that the Silver Line is in fact a bus, that can be confusing to people who assume it's a subway train (just because it's on the subway map, you'd think it might be...). But it's much more convenient than the blue line Airport stop, in my experience. It stops outside each terminal.

quote:
Since we will be jumping on and off I guess we should buy the $15/Wk pass?
Yep. The subway is $2 per trip so $15/week is a great deal if you're going to use it daily.

quote:
Faneiul hall and Quincy market still good?
Just as much of a tourist trap as ever!

Can't help you on the medical school, don't know anything about it...
--
Join the DSLR Kiva team!

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Jtmo
Thanks, Eastern standard is nice.
A last meal before she eats Top Ramen for the next 10 years+

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT

4 edits
reply to Jtmo
Sarah's right on the pulse of the place. Me - only a visitor with a tourista's viewpoint. Not sure if you'll have the time for this, but...

Some thoughts anyway
A pretty good source for online travel info, if you want to read up during the trip
»search.frommers.com/search/?sp_a···&x=0&y=0
I have found their stuff reasonably accurate, although the potential for outdated surely exists. They are usually good about supplying dates of article publications.

Boston has some great Boutique hotels
»www.gayot.com/hotels/bestof/10be···on6.html
We stayed at The Marlowe while there. Very cool place.
We might have Pricelined it down to size, but I don't remember.

We never made this happen, which I regret
»www.bostonducktours.com/

This was great for all ages
»www.neaq.org/index.php
but I do like the geeky science stuff

Like most cities, the mainstream and hotel eateries are usually priced sky high.
There is / was a good online directory of out of the way restaurants where the locals eat, but I can't find it now.

To state the obvious, Boston is a college town. When in season, the population of college aged folk is astronomical - perhaps a good thing for those of that age group.

One little draw back to a current visit - the place may not be in bloom yet. Perhaps you may find barren trees and brown lawns.

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA
reply to Jtmo
I like the Guyot site. I might stay at the Midtown Hotel on Huntington for $99. It's a room vs. $200+ and right on the T and we could walk to Boston U or at least to the other green line.

6 years of school plus Medical (Pediatrician) and then residency, the old days of a nice hotel are over for Mom and Dad.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Maybe by then you can talk her into Cardiology. I think they average around $300K plus per year. ER docs make $250K here in the woods. Then there's Dermatology. My dermo had an 11 month wait period for new patients. She's since given up taking on new patients. I don't think she's 45 years old?

Just sayin...

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA
reply to Jtmo
I keep trying to get her to join the air force, let them pay for the Medical school and then give the years back as a Captain or better to start and travel to bases. Plenty of kids to treat. I got a dirty look, but she very well may need to do it.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to Jtmo
We need an update...
What happened?

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Jtmo
Since the system lost my reply (And lost me entirely until this week), I will post again.

She is a Terrier, starting just after Labor day, Biolology Pre-med.
Airfare is not bad, but hotel rooms are out of sight. Found a place on campus for $158 a night.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Congrats on your daughter getting in. Hope she enjoys it. I've been going to school nights there for the past couple of years. It's a city campus, so kids have to "smart" about things vs. some other campus' which are tightly run by the schools.

She'll also have to get ready for the weather... I don't know Novato, but if the weather if like SFO, and Boston has a typical winter for 12-13, I hope she has some long johns.

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA
Yeah, she is fairly street smart dealing with the plentiful city bums in SFO. Not too many bums in Boston, I like that. Sidewalks and trip hazards in Boston would never fly out here with all the lawsuits we file in SueUfornia.

T- Seems safe enough during normal hours. VERY friendly locals, always helpful, a big+

Weather will be interesting, we are warmer here 20 miles north of SFO and never close our windows year round, so that first Winter Nor'Easter will chill her to the bone.

Too bad Filene's went out of business, I would have loved to show her that. Do any other great bargain places like Filene's exist today?

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
Based on my few trips to SFO, I'd say yes, def. less bums here, and our BOS bums are less persistent too (they won't follow you asking for money in exchange for jokes or fortune telling). Very few bums on campus, you just get the occasional weird guy walking down the street--I'd be more worried about the other students and rent-paying residents then the homeless population

T is safe. That is the "B" line she will be on, or maybe "C" if she lives off campus a bit, it's above ground in the area, so no dank station to be waiting in. Further into town it can feel sketchy any quiet time of day, but in general it's not bad as there are usually lots of people riding it.

If she's used to SFO then BOS will be about the same, just colder

It's mostly the idea of a non-campus that I feel can sometimes take some of the kids for granted. After a short time they seem to forget that their brains should be in "city mode", they get into that mindset of being on a closed campus where everything is sort of secure, and all adults are nice and helpful (paid by the college) people. I leave class at about 9:30PM, I'll see girls walking in pajamas along the side of the city street between two places, I know these kids can't live out their phones, so I assume they have their phones, but they clearly have very little else with them, I wouldn't be surprised if some even carried no ID, except that I think all the dorms require them to let you in.

I don't have a clue about bargains, esp. on clothes... I'm the kind of guy who stocks his wardrobe every 6-7 years at Sears

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA
Yeah, kids and adults can become complacent. They have guards at the dorms, no ID, No entry.
But, being college kids they stay out late and come home late like that recent BU graduate student over in Allston off campus.
If I raised her right, she won't take those chances. Time to let go and worry...worry...worry.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:18
You will always worry...worry...worry about her. It's in a parent DNA.

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
kudos:1
reply to Jtmo
I need a couple maids @ $10/hr.
Good tips.

$11 for front desk. All the abuse I can give!!!!
I am actually very nice.

Jtmo
Premium
Novato, CA
Maybe she will take you up on that for spring break on the Cape

She heads out first thing in the morning with Mom. She is both excited and apprehensive, normal 'I am moving across the country' jitters. She will be fine, Mom on the other hand flying back alone without her on the plane..... well let's just say I pity the poor smuck sitting next to her.....