how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeneral

join:2010-11-19
Mississauga, ON
reply to PRIUS

Re: Which is better right now? Distributel or TekSavvy?

said by PRIUS:

Moving forward, I would like to know if the RCA Thomson DCM475 modem that Distributel sells for $99.95 is wireless (modem with router all in one), such as the purchased SMC G gateway wireless home networking Modem I bought from Rogers?

*Does Distributel sell cable wireless modems?

*Will the SMC G gateway wireless modem I bought from Rogers work on Distributel's system?

Sorry to read about your difficulties with the CSR.

Re: your modem questions.

The DCM475 is just a modem. It does not have a built-in router.

If you own your current router and it is currently operating on Rogers, you should be able to use it with Distributel. I brought my Motorola SB5100 modem over when I switched.

One word of warning, don't schedule the changeover for a weekend. Mine was scheduled for a Saturday. On Saturday morning my Rogers service stops working and despite many calls to their tech support, they couldn't do anything for me until Monday. If I were you, I would schedule the switch for a Monday or Tuesday. Problems are resolved much quicker during regular business hours.

PRIUS

join:2009-09-17
Toronto, ON
Click for full size
said by jeneral:

said by PRIUS:

Moving forward, I would like to know if the RCA Thomson DCM475 modem that Distributel sells for $99.95 is wireless (modem with router all in one), such as the purchased SMC G gateway wireless home networking Modem I bought from Rogers?

*Does Distributel sell cable wireless modems?

*Will the SMC G gateway wireless modem I bought from Rogers work on Distributel's system?

Sorry to read about your difficulties with the CSR.

Re: your modem questions.

The DCM475 is just a modem. It does not have a built-in router.

If you own your current router and it is currently operating on Rogers, you should be able to use it with Distributel. I brought my Motorola SB5100 modem over when I switched.

One word of warning, don't schedule the changeover for a weekend. Mine was scheduled for a Saturday. On Saturday morning my Rogers service stops working and despite many calls to their tech support, they couldn't do anything for me until Monday. If I were you, I would schedule the switch for a Monday or Tuesday. Problems are resolved much quicker during regular business hours.

This is the Wireless modem I bought from Rogers. I'm hoping when I make the switch over to Distributel from Rogers, I can still use the same wireless modem without having to purchase new equipment. My contract expires in July with Rogers for the Internet. For now, I'm looking for an alternative.

What do I need to do in order to have my internet brought over to Distributel from Rogers?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
Yeah thats a Docsis 2.0 unit. I've seen them. Not overly impressed with them though the range is 'fair' for the 802.11 aspect.

Though if you really want to get max speeds I'd move to a Docsis 3.0 unit and a sepparate gigabit dual band wifi N router with as much ram/cpu/flash as you can afford, so you'll have more options if you choose to use third party firmware on it. Of course if you're not a Geek™ then it really doesn't matter to you.

That SMC unit could be deprovisioned and 'resold' to someone less fortunate than yourself either to friends or family or acquaintances, and the return cash sunk into some sweeter bleeding edge equipment for Mission Control.

Cheers

--
You see there is only one constant. One universal. It is the only real truth. Causality. Action, reaction. Cause and effect.

Motorola SB6120-1.0.6.1, Netgear RangeMax WNDR3700v1, Dupont POI, eXtreme Cable Pr0 28/1:4/4 Unlimited.