spc
Search similar:

uniqs

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35

Anon

Now it makes sense...

Ahh, i was all confused yesterday because i'm not on Comcast's network. The main thing I was thinking however is what if I do have Comcast cableTV service (and therefore pay for the channels) but I have DSL from the phone company cuz it's "cheaper". This basically says I wont be able to use the Xfinity App on my Xbox which basically sucks! Same would go for not being able to use the App if I took it to my friends house where they have U-Verse instead of Comcast.

That's where my major confusion came in (that's what I get for not reading the full report :P) as I was thinking it's done over Xbox servers, guess that's a wash! They require you to be using their services, not just own an account. Gotcha!
SHoTTa35

SHoTTa35

Anon

Hehe, can't edit

I was thinking this is sorta like DISH networks new App on the iPad where you can access their stuff anywhere you have an internet connection (logged into your account). You can watch LIVE TV as long as you are connected. I thought they were trying to match that, apparently it's worse!
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by SHoTTa35 :

Hehe, can't edit

I was thinking this is sorta like DISH networks new App on the iPad where you can access their stuff anywhere you have an internet connection (logged into your account). You can watch LIVE TV as long as you are connected. I thought they were trying to match that, apparently it's worse!

And in all your attempt to be 'cute' here... what have you learned??? ... comcast is stating that it is essentially just another cable box. DUH!

Some of us don't have their "crappy cable box" yet would like access to OnDemand.. silly concept that this is just one more option, huh?
Skippy25
join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

The xBox doesnt have a QAM tuner in it does it?

So I guess it really isnt the same thing.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by Skippy25:

The xBox doesnt have a QAM tuner in it does it?

So I guess it really isnt the same thing.

So you're entire argument is based on if it's QAM or IP? Fail.

The SERVICE they are offering, while people are bitching and using the example that Comcast is trying to squeeze out the likes of NetFlix, forget that the OnDemand service is the SAME content that is offered via the cable box. No, wait.. it's not. You can't BUY anything PPV on the Xbox version. You're right, it's not the same.. IT'S LESS!

It's not a 3rd party killer since it's the same service they already offer, just a different device, same customer.

Do YOU have anything valid to offer?? If all you guys have is IP vs QAM.. give it up. It's still comcast's network. I don't think this service hits the cloud.. it stays in their own private network.. as a matter of fact I believe the IP addresses used to actually transport are non-routable.
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

Did you even bother to reread the message I responded to? YOU stated the xBox is just another cable box and that is false based on the fact that it does not use QAM and uses an entirely different transport to receive it's signal.

The very fact that it is IP is the issue. If they are saying it is OK to pass packets around their network and it wont count against your cap then ALL packets sent around their network should not count against your cap. It is as simple as that. The fact that they supposedly implemented the caps to help contain congestion on the last mile node has just been nullified and voided when they made the claim that extensive IP use is OK as long as it stays on their network and serves their purpose.

Argue in circles all you want but 2 fact remains:
1.) Caps are there and ALL IP traffic that goes through the node effects it regardless of where its final destination is.
2.) IP packets are IP packets, how they are encapsulated and what is contained inside of them is irrelevant.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Keep pushing your weak argument that has nothing to put teeth into it.. hope that works well for you.

By the way, CDV is their phone service, it uses IP, it runs over the same hard lines.. it doesn't count against the caps.

Comcast has a right to operate a network. You're trying to, like most here, carve out things that don't require being carved out. You're trying to make Comcas'ts ENTIRE business of that as an internet provider and anything they do has to fit around that.

But for the record, it's clear YOU didn't read.

I could give a rats ass if they shoved rats down the pipes carrying data packets.. it's their network, they're a video provider first and I don't believe they need to worry about another provider such as Netflix offering a movie subscription when it comes to their desire to extend the reach of their already existing subscription service to additional appliances in the customer's home.

Keep your spinning up.. I know you like it and there are fans here to cheer you on... I'm just not one of them.
Skippy25
Hazelwood, MO

Skippy25

LOL, I love it when you have no ground to stand on but just keep going.

Their phone system is separated out as much as is physically possible so the 2 are not the same. If they did actually run a VOIP service like Vonage or Vocalocity then I would expect that traffic to be handled 100% the same, but that is not the case, no matter how you try to spin it. If it was, me and many others (including all VOIP companies) would be rightfully crying foul.

Keep trying........