Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

[Parts Check] Preserving Windows 7 licence after Mobo/CPU/RAM Sw

Looking to upgrade my workhorse PCs guts, I'd be keeping my hardrives, GPU, PSU, along with the Case, and I'd be replacing the motherboard, RAM and CPU.

What I'm wondering is if it's worth the effort, I have a Windows 7 OEM license (which I may be risking by changing the CPU)

I'm looking at getting some sort of i7 processor, supporting Motherboard and compatible RAM, things like Ivybridge and Sandbridge aren't super important to me at the moment, because right now I'm just trying to see if it's worth doing versus OCing my current setup.

Here's what I'm looking at replacing:

P5Q Mobo, Q6700 Intel CPU, with 4 x 2 GB DDR2 RAM, it runs well but I'm a power whore and I do have a certain level of Techno-lust I enjoy feeding regularly so this is more of a pet project rather than an immediate need.
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo

Re: [Parts Check] Preserving Windows 7 licence after Mobo/CPU/RA

New motherboard and CPU is considered a new computer. It will give a new hardware signature and won't be recognized.

But you can try calling Microsoft and tell them you're replacing a defective motherboard but still using your old harddrive with the OS. They might give a new license. It's a long shot though.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't. I've transferred an OEM copy of Vista from one homebuilt desktop to another without it giving me any issues, but Microsoft will always give you a new license if you say a component died and you swapped it out.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Krisnatharok:

Microsoft will always give you a new license if you say a component died and you swapped it out.

Good to know, I'm probably going to recycle the old components with Linux and build something for a friend so Windows won't be required on the old Mobo.

Phoneman63

join:2001-02-22
Hauppauge, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

reply to El Quintron

Windows licensing info.

»www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/what-mic···ing/1514
--
"Leave the gun, take the cannoli"

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON
kudos:1
reply to El Quintron

Funny thing is I have considered buying windows but with the OEM version not transferrable to new hardware (without lying and violating the terms anyways) and the full retail at double the price I said f*** it and stuck with high seas. Way to throw my $100 away MS.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Phoneman63

Thanks for that, interesting reading.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to pnjunction

said by pnjunction:

I said f*** it and stuck with high seas. Way to throw my $100 away MS.

Normally that's the route I'd take as well, (or just install Linux) but this is my gaming rig, so I do want it to be (mostly) legit, or more specifically I want it to have a trouble free version of Windows.

I hear you on that, I don't really want to shell out another ~$100 for another copy of Win7 Pro either.
--
I'm watching District 9 again, and I've come to realize something: Wikus's got it all wrong. If I were morphing into a 9 foot tall hyper-dextrous alien that can shoot lightning bolts and get high off cat food why would I ever want to become human again?

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to pnjunction

What we take as oem is not what most people see, the system builder is supposed to replace the license in the event of a hardware failure, and when purchased outside of this we don't have that protection. Also we still pay more than the system builders for oem versions, but it's still cheaper so that is what most people buy. So people just see the price, and when you buy retail you pay for support through Microsoft, which is also why oem is cheaper to buy for system builders.

Other companies bury the cost of their os in the hardware, Microsoft can't do this.

I do tend to buy retail as I do upgrade my machines, and I bought XP Pro retail years ago on purpose so I could transfer it, along with the extended support of buying Pro.

There was a time you could only buy windows oem with hardware, and when they stopped that requirement that's when this all turned into this entitled price game on the consumer side. When I bought Win 98se I had to buy it along with hardware in the same purchase.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent out necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.