All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ian D Allen
If this were easy, everyone would do it.
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Ottawa, ON

1 edit

Ottawa Centretown download comparison - Cable vs. DSL

Click for full size
Cable Download KBytes/sec
Click for full size
DSL Download KBytes/sec
I now have both Cable and DSL here in Centretown Ottawa. Every 20 minutes I pull down one of the speed test files on each link. See the attached images for the difference in speeds over the past week. The Cable has always been this erratic, right back to its install date in May 2009. (I see hundreds and hundreds of unique DHCP requests - the line is no doubt saturated.) The Fibe 25 is new this week, and it's proving to be extremely good.

Cable: 3Web/CIA/Cybersurf (now Distributel) "10Mbit Premium Cable (May 2009)", single-channel Motorola SB5101, currently peaking occasionally at about 3.7 MBytes/sec down, some pitiful value of KB up (not tested)

DSL: Bell Fibe 25 running steady at 3 MBytes/sec down (and tested 7 MBit/sec up)
--
| Centretown Ottawa (K1R 6S9), Ontario, Canada
| Home Page: »idallen.com/ Contact Improv: »contactimprov.ca/
| College professor (Free/Libre GNU+Linux) at: »teaching.idallen.com/
| Defend digital freedom: »eff.org/

coolio10

join:2011-10-28

I think it would be more fair to use a DOCSIS 3.0 modem considering your using Bell Fibe which is "newer" DSL.

Ian D Allen
If this were easy, everyone would do it.
Premium
join:2008-10-26
Ottawa, ON
reply to Ian D Allen

Click for full size
Cable Download KibiBytes/sec
I upgraded the Cable to Distributel 28, which uses the Thomson DCM475. Speeds are still erratic, but they now peak at up to 7 MByte down. Bell Fibe 25 (FTTN) was a consistent and solid 3 MByte down until a week ago, when they told me they had "upgraded" my service and then dropped the speed to 2 MByte. Multiple calls to Bell have not resolved that issue, which they say "is almost resolved" every time I call. Why does every call to Bell take an hour out of my life?
--
| Centretown Ottawa (K1R 6S9), Ontario, Canada
| Home Page: »idallen.com/ Contact Improv: »contactimprov.ca/
| College professor (Free/Libre GNU+Linux) at: »teaching.idallen.com/
| Defend digital freedom: »eff.org/

DS256
Premium
join:2003-10-25
Markham, ON
reply to Ian D Allen

Interesting. I did a similar comparison in 2003 between Bell and Rogers here in Markham. Similar results. I've been wondering if the profile changes. Thanks for sharing.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2
reply to Ian D Allen

It's not often I see the term "erratic" used to describe service that is consistently better than the rate being paid for, often up to 370% of the expected speed.

Are you saying you would prefer if your cable service was consistently capped at 10 mbps instead of allowing you to burst up to 37mbps?

Chuckcar OTT

@teksavvy.com
reply to Ian D Allen

Sounds to me like Ottawa. I've heard worst stories but right now Ottawa seems to be the worst city in the country for internet.