Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sue K

join:2005-08-29
Meriden, CT

I have an old Gateway 2701HG-B. Looking for a new At&T one

Hi,
I have a old Gateway 2701HG-B and I need to upgrade to an N. My daughter's play games and use wireless a lot.
1: Will the "N" send the signal better?
2: I can't afford the most expensive that AT&T has. I am looking for one also that they can give tech support on. I realize I could probably buy one elsewhere.
Thanks for your time.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101

If you like the 2wire try the pace 4111n.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2
reply to Sue K

I will make some assumptions here, correct me if I am wrong.

1. You are on AT&T DSL, either Xtreme 6.0 Mbps or Xtreme 3.0 Mbps.

2. You experience congestion problems when several people use the internet at the same time.

3. You read that 802.11n wireless routers are faster than 802.11g routers.

The 802.11g capability of the 2Wire 2701HG-B is a theoretical 54Mbps. That would be 9 times the data rate of a Xtreme 6.0 connection. In the real world a 802.11g wireless router delivers a solid 13.5Mbps which would be twice the data rate of a Xtreme 6.0 connection or 4 times the data rate of a Xtreme 3.0 connection. The limitation on your internet access is due to the limits of DSL, not your wireless router.

Now, if you are experiencing limits within your network, such as transferring files to a printer by WiFi, or streaming video from a media storage device, than an upgraded 802.11n wireless router can help, if all the client devices(laptops, tablets, phones, printers, WiFi adapters, etc) are 802.11n also.

The 2701HG-B is a combination modem and router. The modem takes the DSL signal and converts it into a data signal a computer or router can use.

A big problem with AT&T DSL is the temperamental behavior it exhibits with different modems. Going outside the officially supported modems for a particular region can mean constant resets. So in that case you would be stuck getting the Motorola DSL Modem Model 3360 for $75 »www.att.com/equipment/accessory-···q_model=

For wireless routers to use with that modem I have had a good experience with the new E series routers from Linksys. I have used the E4200 for maximum signal range, but it can be costly at about $180. The E2500 and E3200 offer less range and features, but cost less, about $100 for E2500 and $160 for E3200. I have also used the Vizio XWR100 »www.vizio.com/accessories/xwr100···ing.html very successfully. It costs about $70.

As you can see, the separation of the modem and router lead to a higher cost than going with the $100 gateways AT&T offers.

PACE 4111N »www.att.com/equipment/accessory-···q_model=

Netgear 7550 »www.att.com/equipment/accessory-···q_model=

Which one to get? I would try the Pace first.

Sue K

Meriden, CT
reply to David

That's the one I seen. Thanks Sonic.

Sue K

Meriden, CT

1 edit
reply to davidhoffman

I really think I just have just the basic DSL. I did upgrade to a faster one a longtime ago. Middle of the road.
Problem is my daughter plays online with others and quit playing since the connection kept dropping out. She was using wireless on a laptop.
IF she used an Ethernet connection would it be any better? We don't live in a huge place either. We just moved to this place.

I changed the channel on the gateway just to see what would happen.
I realize DSL puts out only so much power. But I thought maybe an upgrade to N might help my daughter pull in the internet better too.
I only plan to buy a gateway supported by At&t I know that so far.

Yes I remember years ago pricing the cost of separate routers,etc. Lol

Well I just looked up out DSL mbps at AT&T and it's pretty slow I think for my daughter's online gaming. Lol I don't mean Farmtown and Mafia Wars either. Lol

Download speed up to 3.0 MBPS
Upload speed up to 384 Kbps.

SO that means no wonder she's having problems.

I thank everyone for their opinion.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:2

Yes, an Ethernet connection would be better. Even a relatively long Ethernet cable is better than WiFi. That should help some. Your DSL speed tier is adequate for gaming. Your daughter may be experiencing a large amount of lag, which some parts of the AT&T DSL system have.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Sue K

might see if you can upgrade to elite.... that would give you up to 6 down (speed I get is 5.1 to 5.3 consistently) and up to 768kbps (which for me seems to top out about 650k ish on speed test sites). The pace 4111n would be able to handle your current connection and elite if available.

Sue K

Meriden, CT
reply to davidhoffman

Of course it would be better to have an Ethernet cable. Now I remember. I solved that problem before. Lol Oh well. Now the other daughter says she needs better gaming connection. Lol Oh boy. She's in another room doing that. Well if the two daughters can get along and use the one room that would be nice. I could put the gateway in there hooked to Ethernet cables I suppose. I don't game anymore so I don't care. Thanks David.

Sue K

Meriden, CT
reply to David

I've seen Elite. Thanks for mentioning it. We'll see what happens. Lol Plus I just realized something, My daughter was playing games wireless, The other place we lived at I hooked her up with the Ethernet. Thanks David.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
reply to Sue K

Well if you need any other assistance stop by, we don't mind.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to davidhoffman

said by davidhoffman:

I will make some assumptions here, correct me if I am wrong.

1. You are on AT&T DSL, either Xtreme 6.0 Mbps or Xtreme 3.0 Mbps.

Not in Connecticut (AT&T Northeast)! That would be Elite (6.0mb/s), or Pro (3.0mb/s).
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum