Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

syntaxerr0r

join:2008-05-27
East York, ON
kudos:1
reply to syntaxerr0r

Re: [DSL] How to get Bell to upgrade my demarc?

It's better now, great download but upload sucks.

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
reply to syntaxerr0r

Hey,

Here are what I’m getting on our end for your line stats.

Last State Change: 03/30 15:07:51 (Uptime: 4860)
Line Profile: al1_d19456-5056_u800-256
Sync Rate: d19453.0/u798.0 kbps
RCO: d93.0/u76.0%
Noise Margin: d9.0/u12.0 dB
Power: d8.0/u2.0 dB
Attenuation: d15.0/u1.0 dB
Block Count: d1114465.0/u1921966.0

You should be able to get a tad better than that for both down & up. Nothing was using the connection at the time of the test?

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Martin opened a Bell ticket to have the profile adjusted, which was done within an hour or so. My upload is worse than ever:

I'm at a loss as to what can be done now...

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Yes I did… and I’ve replied.

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to InvalidError

said by InvalidError:

Downstream or upstream?

Either way, it shouldn't do that.

Downstream.

Martin, you got mail

InvalidError

join:2008-02-03
kudos:5
reply to syntaxerr0r

said by syntaxerr0r:

The tx power fluctuates between 0 and +26 as you refresh DMT in both locations.

Downstream or upstream?

Either way, it shouldn't do that.

TSI Martin
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Hello,

Would you please post in the »TekSavvy Direct forum or send me a PM TSI Martin See Profile. I’d like to take a closer look at your line.

Regards,
Martin
--
TSI Martin (Escalations) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »»TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Click for full size

I connected my modem to the NID directly (with a short, brand new RJ11) and checked the stats with DMT and then back inside. Only difference is +1.5dB attenuation when inside, so my wiring isn't that bad. The tx power fluctuates between 0 and +26 as you refresh DMT in both locations.

Speedtest is worse than ever...

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
join:2009-09-28
Chatham, ON
kudos:4
reply to syntaxerr0r

said by syntaxerr0r:

So Bell installed a new NID outside the house during the day (no idea when), didn't call or anything. He just connected it using the ancient "cotton drop" that goes to the house through the wall and then connects to the 1943 surge protector.

Bell left a voicemail asking to call to comment on the quality of service... It was a 1-877 number but I accidentally erased the message before writing it down. Does anyone know what that number could be, so I can call them to finish the job? It's just changing the cable that goes into the house. Or maybe I should do it myself - am I allowed to open the Bell part of the NID?

Technically, I can slip a Cat5e cable in through the second cable port and connect to the Bell feed directly.

Recommendations?

Anything from the Box to the inside of the prem is customers responsibility and Bell will not fix. You have access to the box to replace that wiring yourself.

Paul

xbell

@cgocable.net
reply to syntaxerr0r

said by syntaxerr0r:

- am I allowed to open the Bell part of the NID?

Don't you dare go into the Bell side or you will end up on the run from the phone cops.

»youtu.be/cTPzTG1Lx60

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Click for full size
So Bell installed a new NID outside the house during the day (no idea when), didn't call or anything. He just connected it using the ancient "cotton drop" that goes to the house through the wall and then connects to the 1943 surge protector.

Bell left a voicemail asking to call to comment on the quality of service... It was a 1-877 number but I accidentally erased the message before writing it down. Does anyone know what that number could be, so I can call them to finish the job? It's just changing the cable that goes into the house. Or maybe I should do it myself - am I allowed to open the Bell part of the NID?

Technically, I can slip a Cat5e cable in through the second cable port and connect to the Bell feed directly.

Recommendations?

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

said by syntaxerr0r:

Well surprise suprise, no call from the Bell tech but my DSL and phone lines are back up.

Once again, I'm wondering what the heck is going on as TSI told me someone should be home after 5PM and the tech should call. So had my wife leave work an hour early for nothing. This comes after wasting an entire day 2 weeks ago in order to be home for stupid techs who never showed up for the DSL16 upgrade and filter install!!!

Unacceptable service and I still want Bell to come and do the work they're supposed to do by installing a proper NID so I can troubleshoot line problems at the demarc.

The tech could still come out to the premises. There might have been an issue at the CO/Remote that he resolved first though.

Paul

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Well surprise suprise, no call from the Bell tech but my DSL and phone lines are back up.

Once again, I'm wondering what the heck is going on as TSI told me someone should be home after 5PM and the tech should call. So had my wife leave work an hour early for nothing. This comes after wasting an entire day 2 weeks ago in order to be home for stupid techs who never showed up for the DSL16 upgrade and filter install!!!

Unacceptable service and I still want Bell to come and do the work they're supposed to do by installing a proper NID so I can troubleshoot line problems at the demarc.

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

DSL went down last night at 9:30 and never reconnected. Line is totally dark.

The Bell tech better show up tonight and do a good job.

Chuck sTruck

@teksavvy.com
reply to syntaxerr0r

Use some WD-40 to get rid of the corrosion then when it dries out use spark plug wire sealer in a can.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

That means I won't see ADSL2 until 2019.

An Ur Hippo Birdy Two Ewes Year Mark will be whut?
By then I'll have all ready crossed the half century mark YEEK!
My brain hurts just thinking about it.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to TSI Paul

said by TSI Paul:

It was a phone issue so it was a Bell tech that replaced it.

We don't have ADSL2 line cards in Chatham yet

Paul

Crap really?

That means I won't see ADSL2 until 2019.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to syntaxerr0r

Those old protectors are very common still, and often are just turned into connection spots more than demarcs. But if still wired as a protector, its still functional in the event of lightning strike.

20 minutes of work could have all that fixed as good as new! I see the old cotton drop as the entrance wire there, that could go and be replaced with any handy cat5 or cat3, or standard quad.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Acanac
reply to syntaxerr0r

Click for full size
before pots splitter
Click for full size
after pots splitter
before and after pics of the hardware I have, there's nothing but a small grey box with two terminals in it on the outside.

funny part is, 16/.8 is stable and great, the issues I have are with a few year old IKNS remote lol.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

*shudders* at the ancient prehistoric beasties.
OMFGz U get on teh intarwebs with THAT!!!
Ur braver than Han Solo before they jumped into the trash compactor

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to donkey

It was a phone issue so it was a Bell tech that replaced it.

We don't have ADSL2 line cards in Chatham yet

Paul

donkey

join:2008-04-08
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Acanac
reply to TSI Paul

said by TSI Paul:

I had a no dial tone issue and the tech replaced my "vintage" demarc when he came and fixed the service.

Paul

which tech's job is that? the bell guy or the telcon guy?

I'd love to get my (mine is same as syntaxerr0r's but newer by 20? years) crap replaced with a modern demarc.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to Mike2009

said by Mike2009:

I had something similar outside but not that weird thing you have inside.

When they installed the new NID they connected the internal wiring to it.

I HAVE seen those 'weird things' (2nd photo) before, but the last time I recall doing so, I think it was in the basement of an old house where our family lived, well before days of dialup Internet (possibly pre-1967, even), you know, back when all phones had to be rented from B$ELL, and it was not important for me to learn what exactly the purpose of that round part was, so I never bothered.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to Mike2009

I had a no dial tone issue and the tech replaced my "vintage" demarc when he came and fixed the service.

Paul

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to syntaxerr0r

I had something similar outside but not that weird thing you have inside. When they installed the new NID they connected the internal wiring to it.

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

I just gave the outside box another look and one of the ancient wires (the thick one that goes to the left in the pic) that goes to the prehistoric thing (the one with the hanging service tag from 70 years ago) inside the house is, well, broken where it's bolted. I can't reconnect it because the wire is too short to be pulled and the copper is so old and oxidized it breaks when you bend it ever so slightly... The insulator isn't plastic because plastic hadn't been invented yet when it was installed!

I was told by TSI that the Bell tech might not reconnect my internal wiring to the new NID... WTF? I won't be home when the tech comes tomorrow (hopefully) and I doubt the wife can do it. Glad I got my cellphone I can tether to as a backup.

inferno_gn
Premium
join:2007-02-26
Verdun, QC
reply to syntaxerr0r

Hi there,

I got one of those. *lol* It works fine at 16 mpbs...

Ju Leon...
--
Otaku Anime Network
»www.otakuanime.com/

syntaxerr0r

East York, ON
reply to syntaxerr0r

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Seems fate has pre-empted any effort on my part. Got home today only to find myself with no dial tone (no phone) and DSL syncing at 5075/538 with frequent disconnects. Two hours earlier I was remoted into my home system and DMT was showing I was connected at 16/.8 as usual. Weird.

Here's pics of what passes for a Bell demarc in my 'hood

So I called TSI and a Bell tech is supposed to come tomorrow evening... They better not try to charge me!

xbell

@cgocable.net
reply to syntaxerr0r

If you have a wet loop and an ISW short and refuse the repair charges they are supposed to install a nid per the tariffs.

TSI Paul
Business Services Rep
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to Mike2009

We had a tech support tech having a lot of DSL issues so he said his demarc was hanging off his house. He was going to go home and rip it off before the tech came. Problem was that the tech showed early and he didn't have a chance to rip it off. Still got it replaced though, luckily.

Paul