All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

storm58
join:2007-11-01

storm58

fiber to the node

Hey guys, I was wondering about the fiber to the node. How far will dsl signal reach after the node over the copper lines? I'm about 2 3/4 miles away from the node that's going up in a couple of months. Thanks!

r2d2
@suddenlink.net

r2d2

Anon

If your currently fed from the co they may be placing your pairs on a rt then your dsl will be fed from the rt and not the co, in that case your speeds will go up if your on good copper pairs and distance via the copper route is shorter.

Generally the RT is a lot closer then the CO.

At 2.8 miles your roughly over 13,500 feet However your copper pair is not routed via the way the crow flys and maybe alot further then 2.6 miles.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to storm58

MVM

to storm58
Fiber to the Node (FTTN) simply moves the DSLAM closer to the customer. The speed/distance trade off is the same regardless of where the DSLAM is located.

At ~13,000+ feet you should qualify for 1.5 Mbps and possible 3 Mbps.

As rdd2 posted actual wire distance may be significantly longer.

Good Luck

/tom

storm58

storm58

Thanks for the info guys! I talked to a tech yesterday and he said we should be able to get 3 Mbps no problem. I very excited, it's been a long wait

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to tschmidt

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

Fiber to the Node (FTTN) simply moves the DSLAM closer to the customer. The speed/distance trade off is the same regardless of where the DSLAM is located.

It really has nothing to do with DSLAMs being closer to the customer.. rather the type of aggregation used, that being Ethernet in the form of GigE links.

You can have a DSLAM right in front of your house but that doesn't mean it has fiber running to it, in fact most still have ATM links.

storm58

storm58

They've already run the fiber optic cable from the CO (2 weeks ago) - which is about 3 miles of fiber cable from the CO to where the box is going to be. Not sure what the box is they're installing at the end of the cable? From the box, it's copper to my house - which is about 2.7 miles the signal will travel over the copper line to my house. Can't wait 'til it's all installed to see what we'll see for speeds?

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

1 edit

xsbell

said by storm58:

They've already run the fiber optic cable from the CO (2 weeks ago) - which is about 3 miles of fiber cable from the CO to where the box is going to be. Not sure what the box is they're installing at the end of the cable?

That fiber will be fed to a card on the DSLAM. 2.7 miles is quite the distance though, not sure if you'll get able to get the full 3Mbps.