how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4me

@bhn.net

Android Apps in Linux Changes Everything

From Datamation by Matt Hartley:

With the news that the Linux kernel is going to see Android compatibility, there has been a growing sense that Android apps will be finding themselves at home on the Linux desktop.

In this article, I will dive into how Android compatibility might affect the desktop Linux and what we might see happening in the near future as well. While the news of Android compatibility might seem unimportant to the casual Linux user, it could potentially mean big opportunities for Android developers.

When the news of Android compatibility was announced, I immediately heard from Android developers who saw this as an opportunity for their applications to run on the Linux desktop.

So why does this matter? The answer is simple – more software means more choices. And more software choices translates into more newcomers to Linux, attracted by familiar software titles they already enjoy on their Android phones.

I believe that with this Android inclusion, we will begin to see a flood of new proprietary applications making their way onto the Linux desktop. I also believe we're going to see a big uptick in new users...

The article raises numerous interesting questions [pros & cons] and is worth a read.