Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

[CDV] Using Voice/Data EMTA as HSI Modem

I am wondering if I could use my owned Arris TM722G EMTA as a data only modem when I switch the home phone service to Verizon landline as I am having to use traditional telephone service because I am getting a home security system activated that relies on phone service to relay alarm signals. If I do have to go back to a regular modem, I have a Motorola 6120 in my decommisioned gadgets bin.

The battery in my alarm panel lasted the whole time power was out (3 days) last October. The CDV modem died a couple of hours after the power was lost.
--
All of my CPE (including my EMTA) is customer owned. The only Comcast owned equipment in my house is the CableCards in the two TiVO boxes I own.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5

1 edit
dup

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
reply to IowaCowboy
Probably. is it a better MODEM than a 6120 for HSI?

Miltman25
Premium
join:2007-01-22
York, PA
reply to IowaCowboy
I use mine as a data only modem. Comcast just disables the voice part of it. I have 4 channels down and 3 up. Works great.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to IowaCowboy
My current "add-on-HSI" promotion will be running out in a few months. If I can't arrange to get another promotional price for my TV-HSI double-play bundle, I was thinking of moving my second home phone line to CDV in order to get a triple-play promotional discount.

I'm currently on the Performance HSI tier and own my cable modem (a Moto SB6121) to avoid paying the $7/mo lease fee.

If I sign up for the triple-play, I'd like to then buy an ARRIS TM722G eMTA at a Best Buy to replace the SB6120 and continue to avoid any monthly lease fee(s).

If my local Best Buy stores are not on ARRIS-Xfinity-BestBuy list (»www.arrisi.com/consumer/_docs/AR···_Buy.pdf), does that mean that my area does not allow customer-owned eMTAs? What Comcast number do I call to check on that?