join:2001-08-25
Fort Collins, CO

1 recommendation

JJ Johnson to drew

Premium Member

to drew

Re: Stupid post linking

said by drew:

If people were to use the proper reply buttons (you didn't, by the way), it would not be taken out of context.

If people are so inclined to use the "wrong" one, then that's just another failure of the forum software.

It's not just the out of context problem. It takes forever if you wish to find the post in its place within the middle of a 5000 post thread.

I just cannot see a single reason to ever link to a post without the surrounding conversation.

I VASTLY prefer the way DSLR's forum software behaves to the off-the-shelf BB systems like vBulletin, phpBB, SMF, etc.

But you haven't given a reason why. Is it for the same "no clutter" argument stated above?

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

Failure of forum software that users can't grasp a simple concept of replying to the person they are replying to? I don't think so.

I like that DSLR's software is quick, has features like "qreply" and threaded replies. I use the "normal" view but when reviewing a thread that has a couple different sub-conversations, being able to click on the "reply to [username]" link and go to the indicated post is highly useful for reference. Removing excess information makes the "sub thread" more readable.

mod_wastrel
anonome
join:2008-03-28

1 recommendation

mod_wastrel to JJ Johnson

to JJ Johnson
I like the way BBR handles this because it's NOT stupid. What you're asking for is a post's physical location in a thread/topic; what BBR gives you is a post's logical position in a thread/topic--beginning with the linked post plus those that follow it. I consider this to be VERY intelligent. Yes, it relies on the posters being "smart" enough to use the proper reply function (to the OP or to the appropriate post in the thread/topic), which sometimes they don't; but you don't toss out a great tool because some people misuse it (or others don't "understand" it). I'd support being given another display option if Justin et al want to work on that, but only if the current method remained the default.