spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« "5 gallon paint bucket"?
page: 1 · 2 · 3 · next
This is a sub-selection from A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

iFail 5G

join:2011-08-03

1 recommendation

reply to 45612019

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

said by 45612019:

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

You can download more than 10 gigabytes in a month on dial up.

This isn't broadband. This is an abomination.

Clearly you have never lived in a rural area. Here in Birmingham where this is also one of their first markets for home fusion, a lot of rural areas can't even get LANDLINES. So the only option is is satellite which is horrible. This at least I pull down over 50mbit/s constantly.

Ill take the 10GB cap for usable service any day

mythology
Premium
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC
I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

That doesn't make it any less of a joke though.

N3OGH
Yo Soy Col. "Bat" Guano
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Philly burbs
kudos:2
reply to iFail 5G
It's funny. There's rural, and then their is RURAL.

My sister lives in Whitam, MD. Lower Eastern shore MD between Tillghman Island & St. Michael's. They're pretty much in the middle of nowhere but they have cable & Cable Internet.

From where I sit (outer suburbs of Philadelphia) they live in a pretty rural area.

Then I paid a visit to my friend's house up in the Poconos. Him & his wife plan on moving up these some time next year. Talk about RURAL. They can get a phone, but not much else. His wife works from home, and I can definitely see them ending up with something like this.

As far as the can being the size of a five gallon paint can, I was a bit taken aback by that, but then again, I bet you can put it in your attic...
--
Petty people are disproportionally corrupted by petty power

iFail 5G

reply to mythology
said by mythology:

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol. I have Charter 100mbit/s at my city house so I am spoiled there and use about 200GB a month streaming and other stuff. But to a lot of these people without options this is a dream! I know so many people right now with regular Verizon 3G data cards that pay $60 for 5GB, so to have stable LTE service and 5 extra gigs this is amazing.

iFail 5G

reply to N3OGH
said by N3OGH:

It's funny. There's rural, and then their is RURAL.

My sister lives in Whitam, MD. Lower Eastern shore MD between Tillghman Island & St. Michael's. They're pretty much in the middle of nowhere but they have cable & Cable Internet.

From where I sit (outer suburbs of Philadelphia) they live in a pretty rural area.

Then I paid a visit to my friend's house up in the Poconos. Him & his wife plan on moving up these some time next year. Talk about RURAL. They can get a phone, but not much else. His wife works from home, and I can definitely see them ending up with something like this.

As far as the can being the size of a five gallon paint can, I was a bit taken aback by that, but then again, I bet you can put it in your attic...

I know what you mean, Alabama has some RURAL area's like my lake house. It's a beautiful new community with brand new lake front home's, but we can't even get running city water. We have a reverse osmosis filtered well system, septic tank, a road we had to fork out a whole bunch to pave, and pay almost $6000 to run electricity to.

The paint bucket is the least of my worries Look's a lot nicer than the crappy huge dish on my house for internet now.

iFail 5G

reply to Kamus
said by Kamus:

said by iFail 5G:

No, it doesn't. Its still ridiculous, and overpriced. But the buildout they have done in rural Alabama is amazing, and its a lot of people's only source of internet besides satellite so I am thinking it will be a hit.

join:2004-02-05
New York, NY
reply to iFail 5G
You're right. I haven't.

I have never seen the sense in moving into a good house if it has piss-poor communications infrastructure and is far away enough from a city that you are completely isolated from society. That is no way to live.

No matter how nice the house is, having no communications and no access to a city water supply is a deal breaker. There's plenty of nice houses to be found which have these things.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
good for you. not everyone likes living in the big city

en103

join:2011-05-02
reply to 45612019
Some people run a well for water, and use wireless.

tman852

join:2010-07-06
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to chances14
He's from New York, what can you expect? I'll take outdoors living away from shit tons of people any day instead of a concrete jungle.

iFail 5G

reply to 45612019
said by 45612019:

You're right. I haven't.

I have never seen the sense in moving into a good house if it has piss-poor communications infrastructure and is far away enough from a city that you are completely isolated from society. That is no way to live.

No matter how nice the house is, having no communications and no access to a city water supply is a deal breaker. There's plenty of nice houses to be found which have these things.

I have fun not seeing my neighbors getting killed in drive by's, dealing with idiots and smog in ridiculous traffic, loud noise continuously, dirty streets ect..

Its a deal breaker for me not being able to take my boats out anytime I want, being able to ride my ATV wherever the hell I want, and depending on the gov. for every single thing. If the city water supply gets contaminated which has happened before, I still have sanitary, clean, well water.

Oh and its nice not to have to hear my neighbor beating his wife on the 5th floor seeing as my closest neighbors are at least 1/2 away or more.

iFail 5G

reply to tman852
said by tman852:

He's from New York, what can you expect? I'll take outdoors living away from shit tons of people any day instead of a concrete jungle.

Same here, ill take a screen door and lemonade vs. barred window's and brown outs

New York, NY
reply to iFail 5G
Hahaha.

Is this really what conservatives think city life is like?

This explains everything.

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to mythology
said by mythology:

Then don't do streaming. The users of this will just be happy to have fast web browsing and software updates and ability to upload some occasional pics to relatives.
--
The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
»www.politico.com/2012-election/

Sammer

join:2005-12-22
Canonsburg, PA
reply to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

said by Kamus:

said by iFail 5G:

No, it doesn't. Its still ridiculous, and overpriced.

Not just overpriced, Verizon is charging at least 5 times what they should for an overage. If this is the result of de-regulation then we really need more regulation of companies like Verizon just to protect consumers.

chances14

join:2010-03-03
Michigan
reply to 45612019
nice rebuttal

pull out the politics card

since when are conservatives the only ones who live in rural areas anyways?

New York, NY
That post was unworthy of a rebuttal.

The minute someone starts harping about the government and stereotyping any civilized area as being some gang war shootout zone you know you're dealing with a conservative.

New York, NY
reply to Sammer
Five times? Try 500 times.

If you believe Verizon is paying anything more than an average of 2 cents/gig for Internet traffic then you've been brainwashed.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House

1 recommendation

reply to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol.

So it's no mystery why VZ is deploying this in rural areas first.

Where else in the country can they charge high dollars for low caps, and get no push-back from users? Answer-- in areas where people are desperate for ANYTHING useable.

In the desert, you can charge any price for water.....

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to 45612019
said by 45612019:

Five times? Try 500 times.

If you believe Verizon is paying anything more than an average of 2 cents/gig for Internet traffic then you've been brainwashed.

... Because base stations are free, right?

EvelKub
Kitty is crazy
Premium
join:2002-03-17
Mesa, AZ
reply to 45612019
Consider how many towers must be installed in rural areas for this to work... The cost for the tower, antennas, cabinets, land, the cost for electricity, fiber runs and maintenance...

Now consider the number of people which will be served by each tower, which won't cover more than a 50 mile area. Each will likely opt for the lower package, as this is considered a luxury to most country-folk.

How long of a time-frame is okay in your mind for them to take to recover their initial investments?

New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to dennismurphy
No. They're paid for by having numerous subscribers forking out $60 or more a month for service.

Implementing low bandwidth caps with high overage fees is completely unnecessary to recoup deployment costs. That's what the subscriber fee is for. Vastly marked up bandwidth overage fees are just an opportunity to price gouge the consumer.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to rebus9
And the problem with providing service that's better than the competition in an area that's underserved is...?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to 45612019
Have you been on an overcrowded (non-D3) cable node? If VZW had unlimited data on LTE, that's what it would feel like. They have 22MHz of spectrum, and you can only pack in ~71 Mbps of capacity on that.

$10 per GB for fixed service is definitely overpriced. However data centers charge 10 cents per GB for overage bandwidth...to say that $10 per GB is overpriced by a factor of 500 is uninformed.

rebus9

join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Bright House
reply to iansltx
said by iansltx:

And the problem with providing service that's better than the competition in an area that's underserved is...?

You missed the point, which is, they chose areas where they can do the most price gouging with the least amount of push-back. And there will be little push-back because rural areas are desperate. Desperate for anything, even if the price is obscene.

Like I said, in the desert you can charge any price for water.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

reply to mythology
said by mythology:

Then don't stream..

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
reply to rebus9
said by rebus9:

said by iansltx:

You missed the point, which is, they chose areas where they can do the most price gouging with the least amount of push-back. And there will be little push-back because rural areas are desperate. Desperate for anything, even if the price is obscene.

Like I said, in the desert you can charge any price for water.

He didn't miss the point at all... you did.

You're entire premise as to why is completely wrong.. and rather just whining. If this service had been deployed in an affluent area they'd be charged with cherry-picking.

The service is designed for rural areas with little options. I'm sorry their rationality on this doesn't suit your personal agenda. You need to get real.

This argument you make reminds me of accountants.. they master the art of taking any thing and making it be what you want.. just like this argument.

New York, NY
reply to iansltx
Yes. I have been. And it was fine.

I'd rather my connection drop down to half its speed during peak hours than be artificially limited to only using it for a tiny fraction of my billing period.

sonicmerlin

join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH
kudos:1
reply to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

said by 45612019:

I like how Verizon is deploying this pointless shit instead of continuing to build a real broadband network like FiOS.

You can download more than 10 gigabytes in a month on dial up.

This isn't broadband. This is an abomination.

Clearly you have never lived in a rural area. Here in Birmingham where this is also one of their first markets for home fusion, a lot of rural areas can't even get LANDLINES. So the only option is is satellite which is horrible. This at least I pull down over 50mbit/s constantly.

So wait, you actually have the service and get 50 mbit/s?