mythology
Premium Member
join:2002-10-16
Seneca, SC

mythology to iFail 5G

Premium Member

to iFail 5G

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.
iFail 5G
join:2011-08-03

iFail 5G

said by mythology:

I know some peeps that gotta use their phone for home broadband access. They would love to have this even with the caps. Tho 12mbit will eat up 10gb in no time streaming.

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol. I have Charter 100mbit/s at my city house so I am spoiled there and use about 200GB a month streaming and other stuff. But to a lot of these people without options this is a dream! I know so many people right now with regular Verizon 3G data cards that pay $60 for 5GB, so to have stable LTE service and 5 extra gigs this is amazing.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to mythology

Premium Member

to mythology
said by mythology:

Then don't do streaming. The users of this will just be happy to have fast web browsing and software updates and ability to upload some occasional pics to relatives.

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

1 recommendation

rebus9 to iFail 5G

to iFail 5G
said by iFail 5G:

With satellite I was never even able to hit 6 gig's in a month because its been so poor. So I can gladly watch my usage for 10GB and usable service lol.

So it's no mystery why VZ is deploying this in rural areas first.

Where else in the country can they charge high dollars for low caps, and get no push-back from users? Answer-- in areas where people are desperate for ANYTHING useable.

In the desert, you can charge any price for water.....
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

And the problem with providing service that's better than the competition in an area that's underserved is...?

rebus9
join:2002-03-26
Tampa Bay

rebus9

said by iansltx:

And the problem with providing service that's better than the competition in an area that's underserved is...?

You missed the point, which is, they chose areas where they can do the most price gouging with the least amount of push-back. And there will be little push-back because rural areas are desperate. Desperate for anything, even if the price is obscene.

Like I said, in the desert you can charge any price for water.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2 to mythology

Premium Member

to mythology
said by mythology:

Then don't stream..
fiberguy2

fiberguy2 to rebus9

Premium Member

to rebus9
said by rebus9:

said by iansltx:

You missed the point, which is, they chose areas where they can do the most price gouging with the least amount of push-back. And there will be little push-back because rural areas are desperate. Desperate for anything, even if the price is obscene.

Like I said, in the desert you can charge any price for water.

He didn't miss the point at all... you did.

You're entire premise as to why is completely wrong.. and rather just whining. If this service had been deployed in an affluent area they'd be charged with cherry-picking.

The service is designed for rural areas with little options. I'm sorry their rationality on this doesn't suit your personal agenda. You need to get real.

This argument you make reminds me of accountants.. they master the art of taking any thing and making it be what you want.. just like this argument.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

While the system may be designed for rural areas, the fact that it creates a broadband monopoly in those area (which allows artificially high pricing) is indisputable.
talos4
join:2002-01-30
Manassas, VA

talos4

Presuming satellite would be available to most as well, it would be another duopoly. If no satellite, then i agree they will be a monopoly for the time being. In theory, the first to market with any new service would be a monopoly. Those areas will have some competition if AT&T or another wireless service provider deploys a similar product.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Yes, true... I forgot about satellite. So they will have some limiting factor in their pricing. I bet that the overhead for satellite (no pun intended) is much higher than for fixed LTE and that Verizon will be able to profit accordingly.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
So VZ is damned if they do, damned if they don't?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

to CXM_Splicer
Well then shucks my darn! .. perhaps they should just say screw it and not serve those areas so that people like you won't bitch about it.

So far it doesn't seem that their pricing is far out of line over their other wireless pricing, now, does it? Wait.. it actually seems like this service is a bit better pricing than even their mobile LTE service.

Again.. what's the issue? .. I guess I can see where you're coming from. Punish them for bringing a new technology wireless service to an area with out anything really.. and damn them for charging a price YOU don't agree with.

Do you have a valid argument yet?