uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

[Word] Page # in footer doesn't update

I have a document, actually many of them, with "page x of x" in the footer. I also have the "Different than first page" option checked, though it's mainly the header that differs.

Anyway, when I open the document, the first page reads "Page 1 of 1". Page 2 reads "Page 2 of 9" -- the proper value. Oddly, when I change the zoom from 100% to 125% or 75% (any change), it updates. If I edit the header/footer - can in fact do nothing, just open the edit dialog - it updates.

Problem is when I save it and re-open, it reverts back to "Page 1 of 1". On more than one occasion, I've opened it and PDF'd it and didn't catch the error. I've also sent the document to customers like that.... 99% could care less of course, but others might think we're careless or sloppy.

Anyone ever seen this ? I'm running Office 2008. I won't mention the operating system else this thread will get moved. IMO, this is an application issue, not an operating system one.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

If you don't zoom in/out and edit, does happen still? Do you have 2 headers? In 3nd para, didn't understand what reverts to page 1 of 1 that is what it should say according to para 2

Cudni
--
"what we know we know the same, what we don't know, we don't know it differently."
Help yourself so God can help you.
Microsoft MVP, 2006 - 2011/12

Irish Shark
Play Like A Champion Today
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-29
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:4
reply to Hall

When you zoom in/out the number of pages change. Zoom in and see if the last page is now more than the page count in the document viewed at 100% or actual size.
--
"You can observe a lot by watching". Yogi Berra

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Cudni

said by Cudni:

If you don't zoom in/out and edit, does happen still? Do you have 2 headers? In 3nd para, didn't understand what reverts to page 1 of 1 that is what it should say according to para 2

If I don't zoom in/out, it remains "wrong". Problem is two-fold: 1) Why doesn't the proper page count stick when saving and closing ? 2) How/why does something like changing the view zoom trigger it to update ?

What I said in the 3rd paragraph is it's a 9-page document, but page one reads "1 of 1", page 2 reads "2 of 9", page 3 reads "3 of 9", and so on. All of the pages show the correct count except for the first one. If I FORCE it to update and read "1 of 9" and save/close the document, when I re-open it, it's back to reading "1 of 1".

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Irish Shark

said by Irish Shark:

When you zoom in/out the number of pages change.

No it doesn't

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Hall

Maybe some of the hints here will help?

»cybertext.wordpress.com/2008/01/···footers/
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Zupe
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY
reply to Hall

Anything here help? »word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/PageXofY.htm

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

I will look into those closer tomorrow. Sad that the issue has been common since Office '97 and still not resolved... Then they fix it in a service pack but apparently re-introduce it in later full upates !

towerdave

join:2002-01-16
O Fallon, IL
reply to Hall

How does it show in Print Preview?

TD

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

It updates properly when viewed in Print Preview. I believe that is one of the suggested "fixes". Oddly though, when I close the preview, it's back to "1 of 1" :-(

^^^ Just went back and forth to get screenshots and the 2nd time, it does update...

Normal

In Print Preview mode

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Hall

Open this and the first page should read "1 of 1" in the footer. You'll see it's a 4-page document. There are a variety of things that will force it to update, but that's not my point or concern. I really want it to read the correct count when I open it, not have to remember "make sure the stupid page count is right before printing".

downloadTechnical-re···lank.doc 185860 bytes
(Technical-report-03062012-blank.doc.zip)

towerdave

O Fallon, IL

said by Hall:

Open this and the first page should read "1 of 1" in the footer. You'll see it's a 4-page document. There are a variety of things that will force it to update, but that's not my point or concern. I really want it to read the correct count when I open it, not have to remember "make sure the stupid page count is right before printing".

[att=1]

On Win7 64 Bit, Office 2010, it shows Page 1 of 4 on opening.

TD

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Maybe it's handled better in 2010... or are you joking with me. I do hope someone with 2008 or older can try it and confirm the behavior though.

towerdave

O Fallon, IL

said by Hall:

Maybe it's handled better in 2010... or are you joking with me. I do hope someone with 2008 or older can try it and confirm the behavior though.

Not joking, it's working in 2010. Just tried it on an XP 32-bit machine with Office 2007 and it shows Page 1 of 1.

TD

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by towerdave:

Just tried it on an XP 32-bit machine with Office 2007 and it shows Page 1 of 1.

Thank you, at least I know I'm not crazy