how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

Whoa...

Well, this is great news for Dialup users... I mean, snappy.
As long as they think they still have dialup (caps...). Still cheaper than Dish (networking) and no latency. Sign me and my cabin up! (get 5 bars up in the Adirondack with VZW so...)

but....

Lemme see, Windows 7 updates monthly (as long as no service pack at 1GIG is involved), AV updates, patches, program updates (and don't for get App downloads)... and that is just ONE PC, not the other laptop, the Xbox (average 700Meg d/l per DLC, demos...) ...

So, anyone care to post just exactly how much bandwidth:
-does a Netflix movie/show stream use
-does an xbox Mulitplayer game session use (2 hours average)
-does an xbox monthly use consume (gaming, not Video apps)
-does an Windows 7 computer consume (updates, patches, programs, AV, email, web browsing, uploads to eBay...)
-appliance use (HDTV, firmware, apps, Roku...)

BTW, Verizon (I HIGHLY suspect) has done the metrics on data use (we gave them it) and just like cellphone data use (some never use more than 450 mins but never less than 390min so we'll make lowest charge 400min with 750min the next minutes bucket) they know where to "show me da money".
Like a crack dealer, give them more at first to hook'em then throw a premium when they DO go over (and by 1/6 what they would be allocated).
--
Splat

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
Netflix is in the 500MB to 1GB range for a show I think. Haven't paid much attention since my cap here is 250GB.

As for multiplayer gaming, 64 kbps is a good, high number as an estimate for data usage while gaming. Patches etc. chew up more bandwidth, however gaming itself uses next to nothing.

As for computer updates, averaging things out, I'd put monthly usage at around 500MB for patches etc. For appliances, the number is probably closer to 100MB, if that.

For all the whining everyone does about low caps, let me give you a scenario. Three members of my immediate family (dad, mom, littlest brother) share a 1.5/384 DSL connection. E-mail, web, some YouTube, a movie on Netflix once every week or two (standard-def), some internet radio, a fair amount of online gaming (Flash or full-on multiplayer). Three Windows computers, plus a smartphone. Every couple of weekends my other brother comes home, with his laptop and smartphone. He adds to the YouTubing, gaming and update-downloading. Every month or two I come home for a few days, and add my own update downloading, YouTubing, heavy web surfing, Pandora, online gaming and file-shuttling (in addition to photo uploading that my mom does), on a smartphone, a laptop or two and a tablet.

Total usage? Last I checked, under 25GB, despite the fact that we don't make it a point to watch our bandwidth usage, because the connection is unlimited, on the data transfer front anyway.

The nice thing about being in a rural area is there are other things to do than consume content online.

Don't get me wrong. If you beat the heck out of an internet connection, you can certainly make it above 25GB in a month. Case in point: my Comcast usage numbers (I upgraded from 25/4 to 50/15 this month):

December: 143GB
January: 252GB
February: 246GB
March: 271GB (and counting)

But that's due to using the connection for every possible use case (work or not), on the following device set:

Smartphones/iPod touches - ~7
Tablets - 2
Gaming consoles - 3
Computers - 8+

I blame Netflix for 75 of those gigabytes...and I wasn't even watching the Netflix'd content part of the time

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to cableties
said by cableties:

Lemme see, Windows 7 updates monthly (as long as no service pack at 1GIG is involved), AV updates, patches, program updates (and don't for get App downloads)... and that is just ONE PC, not the other laptop

Out of curiosity, if it's just a cabin in the Adirondacks why don't you perform those updates at home on your fixed landline before you travel there? Maybe you don't want to move the desktop every time you go but this is certainly would work for the laptop.

There are options for the desktop too. Service Packs can be downloaded as standalone files outside of Windows Update. It would be trivial to take them up on a thumb drive.

As far as Netflix/Roku goes, I don't think anybody is claiming that LTE is a replacement for a fixed landline. Personally I don't understand the outrage around these parts with regards to caps and streaming video services. Wireless networks were not designed or intended to replace purpose designed video delivery systems.