TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
join:2007-09-18
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

So Cal Forum is Dead.

Is it because we kicked out the fun regulars? Or because people found life outside? Or is it due to the fact people are actually fleeing SoCal (me,FutureMon See Profile,dogma See Profile) and No_Strings See Profile the only one left in SoCal? Or is there another nefarious reason? hmmm...

ohdan
join:2008-11-10
Adelanto, CA

ohdan

I blame the death of forums/email lists/usenet (the latter not for filesharing) on social media sites, namely Facebook. Instant commenting on stories as they happen (see Yahoo!), Tweeting, etc - these make traditional forums dinosaurs as well.

I don't like it but that's mostly because dinosaurs scare me.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings to TheRul

to TheRul
Some attrition is normal, and we've lost a few members over the years without bringing in new ones. Why? Lack of content. Specifically, your failure to post subject material worthy of interest and discussion is causing the atrophy.

Shame on you.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

I have been duly chastised.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
join:2002-08-15
Boulder City, NV

dogma to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

Some attrition is normal, and we've lost a few members over the years without bringing in new ones.

A few??

The quality of our discussions almost took on a post-Thanksgiving family dinner feel:
»Need your help on housing issue please
and about the price of gas...6 years ago:
»call with one of ExxonMobil's VP of Public Affairs Mr Ken
a typical "why would anyone in their right mind want to move to California" discussion:
»moving to socal

and of course who could forget Kent & Mysti..a SoCal classic?
»Please meet Mysti and Kent, typical Southern Califorinans?

It was great!

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
You thought this place was dead, have you seen the NorCal forum? That is the epitome of dead. Even a dead horse can be revived compared to that place.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium Member
join:2005-06-21
Seattle, WA

1 edit

WiFiguru to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
NorCal forum IS sooo dead. I think the only thing that lives on there is their Birthday list.

To go on with the topic,

All forums are dead. I've watched not only this board/forum go downhill post wise, but other big forums (WebHostingTalk, Howardforums), along with forums that I use to run.

Honestly, as ohdan was saying, Facebook. Facebook consumes peoples time, they can comment on "topics" as people post them, etc etc.

Really is sad. Wonder what the next big thing will be.

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

connecting the brain directly to the interwebs!

No_Strings

The OC

2 recommendations

No_Strings to dogma

to dogma
One died, one is in self-imposed exile, several moved, one or two had some life-changing events. I still say we simply lack engaging content.

How about a nice gun thread?

We could start by challenging the widely-known fact that guns make us safer. As examples, we could imagine how much more fun one JetBlue flight might have been today if pilots were armed and how ironic it is that someone with (apparently) mental health issues is in custody on felony charges for essentially yelling at people while a guy in Florida is walking around with his legally licensed handgun after killing an unarmed teen.

Naw, maybe not.

Swallow's Day pix?

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

DanHo

Premium Member

Post the Den Mother... Post the Den Mother!!

No_Strings

The OC

1 recommendation

No_Strings

That's best left for a limited audience.

DanHo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

DanHo

Premium Member

said by No_Strings:

That's best left for a limited audience.

And that is why this forum is dead!

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
said by No_Strings:

... several moved, ...

How does one "move" away from the Internet?

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

Moved from SoCal and, presumably, feel less comfortable or are less interested in posting here.
No_Strings

1 recommendation

No_Strings to DanHo

to DanHo
A few more that aren't elsewhere except Flickr.

Where's RRconductor these days? Two potential items of interest here: The man with the beard was part of the Mormon Battalion and I took the train to San Juan to save from having to fight for parking.

Postal8
First pull up, then pull down.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-30
Simi Valley, CA

Postal8 to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
I miss Kevins mentally unstable rants...

"When you do something and you're the best, you don't need a college degree! LEARN THAT AND LEARN IT WELL, BOY!!!'

Jtmo
Premium Member
join:2001-05-20
Novato, CA

Jtmo to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
Time to merge back into one California forum.
Being busy and Facebook likely killed these, along with other splits like you cannot talk about weather, that goes in the weather forum, REALLY?

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul to Postal8

Premium Member

to Postal8
Anyone have any dancing ants?

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

join:2000-10-05
Marina, CA

FutureMon to No_Strings

to No_Strings
Heck I still posted here even when I lived in Colorado and will probably continue to do so after I've moved to Monterey.

My vote goes towards it's a cyclical thing; having something to do with summer. Don't worry; when school is out we'll have our hands full with trolls and spammers abound that have nothing better to do because they aren't old enough to go out and drink and they're too nerdy to get dates

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

said by FutureMon:

have nothing better to do because they aren't old enough to go out and drink and they're too nerdy to get dates

- FM

well, that classifies everyone in this forum.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to FutureMon

Premium Member

to FutureMon
I moved away from SoCal well before the internet was a thing, but that's where my roots are, so I like to follow this forum.

That said, it seems like all of dslreports is slowing down. I know I don't participate as much as I used to.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium Member
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA

1 edit

aztecnology to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
On a related topic, RetMotherFartLover sent me a message on yelp, maybe I'll post a screenshot here or elsewhere...

Waldothe3rd
Premium Member
join:2009-02-16
Sun N Sand

Waldothe3rd to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
Well, when I win the $530,000,000 jackpot, I'll buy some activity for the forum...

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

I never play, but if ... All you guys would see would be taillights.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon to Waldothe3rd

to Waldothe3rd
said by Waldothe3rd:

Well, when I win the $530,000,000 jackpot, I'll buy some activity for the forum...

No shite, huh!!!

I'm definately in. Although I think it's going to push again till at least tuesday...my horoscope said I'd be in the midst of a major financial windfall some time between April 2-5 and also possibly on the 9th. April 3 just happens to be the next Mega drawing after tomorrow's... The 9th would be regular super-lotto.

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

if you win, you're still coming to work, right?

No_Strings

The OC

No_Strings

No, but he'll tell everyone he won via email.

FutureMon
Dude Whats mine say?

Marina, CA

FutureMon to TheRul

to TheRul
said by TheRul:

if you win, you're still coming to work, right?

Absolutely! I've been looking for a job like this one for a long time. Ever since I left Mercury for the first time back in late '07.

If I were to win, first thing would be to pay off my remaining debt and buy a house. Then I might use some of it to open up a Karaoke bar up there on the side; seems that there are only a few places that do it and most of 'em are on Sunday or Wednesday nights. Either that or a franchise fast food place...pickin's are slim for them too in the bay. (At least there's a Jack-in-the-box right in the middle of what will be my commute).

Fast food restaurants I'll miss:
The Hat
Chik Fil-a
Tommy Burger
Rally Burger/Checkers
Alberto's
In-n-Out (Nearest one is in Salinas).

In fact, even the closest Wal-Mart and 99 cent stores are 20+ miles away in Salinas...

Of course, don't want to be counting chickens just yet...

- FM

TheRul
Why Not You?
Premium Member
Monterey, CA

TheRul

Premium Member

yeah, but you will get tired of Jack. It's our goto place, when we can't figure out somewhere else.

dogma
XYZ
Premium Member
Boulder City, NV

dogma to TheRul

Premium Member

to TheRul
So in this exciting thread, we have a compilation of Jacks:
The RFC Jack
A Jackpot
Jack in the Box.