spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

SickNick

join:2012-03-26

[Servers] Multiple Static IPs, hosting multiple servers?

Hi I have been hosting my own Web and Exchange server with a single static IP for a couple of years now. Now I want to be able to host a few more domains in my office and run their own Exchange/Web Servers. I am stuck on designing a network for all these domains. My ISP has given me 5 Static IPs and a Cisco 800 series modem. I am using one of the 5 ports and the port in use goes into a Linksys WRT160N router. Will I have to buy a router for every domain hosted? is there anything I can do to avoid a clutter of equipment? My server has 2 NICs if I need to buy more I can, but I want to figure out the best way to do this. Any ideas?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
Who is your isp
What is the full model number of the modem

bdnhsv

join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL
reply to SickNick
You probably should start with the current utilization of your server (RAM, CPU, HD, I/O, etc) and what you anticipate from these other sites to determine if you'll need more servers.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to SickNick
Agree with wayjac about who the ISP is and the exact make / model the ISP is providing.
If they're giving you what I think they are, you can easily ditch the WRT160N; and no
if you design this right, you should NOT need more routers.

Are they offering this as a manage router service, or are they only providing the circuit?

Regards

SickNick

reply to SickNick
My ISP is Optimum (Comcast) and they have set up two modems (we also have phone service through them) and they also set up a Cisco 851 router. I have no clue how to do anything on it but I am willing to learn it. My Cisco 851 is what it routing my single static IP right now to my Linksys. I don't think they mentioned anything about managing the router service.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
You need to know the ip's that are in the block

The router should allow you to:
map public ip's to private ip's
use dhcp to allocate public ip's to the device(s)
manually assign public ip's to the device(s)

SickNick

I know all 5 ip addresses that I am entitled too and all the subnet/gateway info needed but I have absolutely no idea how to get into the Cisco 851 router

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by SickNick:

I have absolutely no idea how to get into the Cisco 851 router

Does this mean you don't know how to access the routers configuration

What is the complete model number of the router and modem

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to SickNick
How does your current Linksys router get its IP address? Is it by DHCP from the Cisco unit, or is it assigned Statically? Does it have a public or private IP on the WAN port?

I'm guessing that your ISP has it setup so that the 5 static IPs are available on the LAN ports of the Cisco unit. You statically assign them to the device(s) and then connect them to the Cisco LAN port(s).

To use all the static IPs, you need a router that can have more than one IP address assigned to the WAN port, or multiple routers with one IP assigned to each unit.
Expand your moderator at work

SickNick

reply to wayjac

Re: [Servers] Multiple Static IPs, hosting multiple servers?

Modems: Cisco DPC2203C
»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···9d77.pdf

Router:

Cisco 851
»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6···dex.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have never configured a Cisco router, and I was not present during the set up of this router. So I only know my main Linksys router and its settings. I would love to learn how to get into the Cisco 851 and make changes. For one thing the Optimum technician set up the second port on the Cisco 851 as my first IP in range which drives me crazy and I would want to have them in order from the first port to the last. I have downloaded a few tools like Cisco Configuration Assistant, it seems like I connect and it shows me even one of my printers in the topology but the modem shows unreachable, unknown status.

Right now my Linksys WAN port is set to Static IP which I set as the Static Public IP I am assigned, and it also acts as the DHCP and NAT server.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by SickNick:

Right now my Linksys WAN port is set to Static IP which I set as the Static Public IP I am assigned, and it also acts as the DHCP and NAT server

You should contact your isp for help with the setup

The router should allow you to:
map public ip's to private ip's as well as assigning public ip's to devices

SickNick

I think you're right, I am going to have to contact my ISP. The perfect thing that I just thought up would be to setup for IP addresses on the Cisco internally (hopefully) and turn on NAT and spread them across 192.168.1.x locally. And hopefully I can map some public IP addresses to some of those NAT IP addresses.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by SickNick:

The perfect thing that I just thought up would be to setup for IP addresses on the Cisco internally (hopefully) and turn on NAT and spread them across 192.168.1.x locally. And hopefully I can map some public IP addresses to some of those NAT IP addresses

The cisco router should be able to nat it's public ip for some devices that don't need a public ip and also allow you to map the 5 usable public ip's to private ip's and/or manually assign public ip's to other devices

The block of ip's should be a total of 8 ip's
3 of them are not usable

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
reply to SickNick
If you're wanting to host public websites and email servers then you'll want to statically assign the public IP's you have to NIC's or virtual/sub-interfaces on your server(s). Otherwise you might as well just have either 1 public IP or a dynamic IP and some type of dynamic DNS service.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
This is in the first post
said by SickNick:

I have been hosting my own Web and Exchange server with a single static IP for a couple of years now. Now I want to be able to host a few more domains in my office and run their own Exchange/Web Servers

SickNick

Just curious to see what you guys think about this. I am not assigning the NICs the Public IP Address instead I am assigning the NAT address. I figured there is an extra layer of security since the server is hidden on the interior of the network and is not directly exposed to the public. And as an extra layer, I can also include an IDS/IPS behind the NAT address. I am assuming the IDS/IPS would go bizerk if it was facing the public. Sorry for going off topic, just curious because you mentioned to assign my public IP to the NIC.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by SickNick:

I am not assigning the NICs the Public IP Address instead I am assigning the NAT address

A nat address is a private address
said by SickNick:

I can also include an IDS/IPS behind the NAT address

I don't know what ids/ips stands for

bdnhsv

Huntsville, AL
ids/ips = intrusion detection/intrusion prevention.

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
Thank you

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
reply to SickNick
you can run multiple domains off of the same server and same IP address that runs on exchange.

what are you trying to accomplish here?

SickNick

reply to SickNick
said by wayjac:

said by SickNick:

I am not assigning the NICs the Public IP Address instead I am assigning the NAT address

I know a NAT address is private. All I am saying is I am port forwarding to my private address.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
said by tomdlgns:

you can run multiple domains off of the same server and same IP address that runs on exchange.

Hmmm, I am trying to run a IIS+Exchange server for 4 different domains. I use virtual servers. I was going to set up a couple of extra virtual servers along side my current ones.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
said by SickNick:

said by wayjac:

said by SickNick:

I know a NAT address is private. All I am saying is I am port forwarding to my private address.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------
said by tomdlgns:

Hmmm, I am trying to run a IIS+Exchange server for 4 different domains. I use virtual servers. I was going to set up a couple of extra virtual servers along side my current ones.

not sure about IIS, but i know you can put multiple domains in exchange and mail will be delivered. i have done this in the past for testing and for the short term that i ran it, i didnt have any issues.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
reply to SickNick
If you can find one of these cables -- »ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/3···280_.jpg -- and
a computer with a 9pin serial port, and hyperterminal or similar with 9600-8-n-1 settings, you can get into the 851.

Whether the ISP gave you the enable password is another matter entirely.

How comfortable are you with CLI? If you can get in, there's a few config commands I can give you,
but if you can get the full config (minus sensitive stuff like passwords) would be better.

Also agree with wayjac, you'd have to know the block, subnet mask and gateway the ISP has given you.

Regards