uniqs
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: A 10 GB cap? What a joke.

said by iansltx:

Have you been on an overcrowded (non-D3) cable node? If VZW had unlimited data on LTE, that's what it would feel like. They have 22MHz of spectrum, and you can only pack in ~71 Mbps of capacity on that.

$10 per GB for fixed service is definitely overpriced. However data centers charge 10 cents per GB for overage bandwidth...to say that $10 per GB is overpriced by a factor of 500 is uninformed.

Do you know how they deal with unlimited 3G smartphone users? They throttle speeds when towers are congested.

Okay Ian, let's see these paltry caps are necessary. Then why doesn't Verizon offer unlimited off-peak hours? Say between 12 AM and 8 AM? No one's even awake at the time. Ultra congested satellite offers FAP free during those hours as well.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

It's harder to market a product with cap-free times, maybe?

If I was running a network with relatively low capacity at peak but low off-peak usage, I'd offer some sort of incentive for off-peak usage. Verizon not doing this (just like WildBlue has never done this) is there prerogative. HughesNet is the only major provider to offer a cap-free period in the US.
sonicmerlin
join:2009-05-24
Cleveland, OH

sonicmerlin

said by iansltx:

It's harder to market a product with cap-free times, maybe?

If I was running a network with relatively low capacity at peak but low off-peak usage, I'd offer some sort of incentive for off-peak usage. Verizon not doing this (just like WildBlue has never done this) is there prerogative. HughesNet is the only major provider to offer a cap-free period in the US.

The reason they're not doing it is because they want to profit heartily off of idiots who don't know what a "cap" is. Provide people with the low latency and high bandwidth required to watch videos, and watch the overage profits pour in. They won't even considering just throttling users instead of overcharging them.

Off-peak hours makes perfect sense only if you don't care about maximizing profits at the expense of your customers. Throttling only on congested hours while offering unlimited is also quite possible, especially in these very sparsely populated rural areas.