uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ender3rd

join:2001-07-15
Connecticut

2 edits

[PHONE] Anonymous Call Rejection and "Unavailable Unknown N

Click for full size
I have the (*77) Cox "Anonymous Call Rejection" feature enabled for my phone. In spite of that, I still receive calls that come up with the originating number shown as "Unavailable Unknown Number". If I use my cell to place a *67 ID blocked call to my home number, the call is intercepted by Cox and I hear the expected message about "This number does not accept blocked calls..." In my call history shown above the "Private" call was blocked, however, the "Unknown Unavailable" number rang my phone.

Does anyone have a clue how the "Unavailable Uknown Number" calls are slipping through? Is anyone else experiencing this? Again, just to be clear, the feature is enabled because I cannot get through when I block my identity, but the telemarketers seem to be able to thwart the system.

Thanks,

Ender
--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

m8trix

join:2003-12-24
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

Re: [PHONE] Anonymous Call Rejection and "Unavailable Unkno

when it shows as unknown or unavailible it means the phone company is not getting info from the caller or they will intentional have the name on the caller id be as unknown at least that how the collections company i use to work for did it, anonymous rejection only works for those that would normally show as private

Ender3rd

Connecticut

Thanks for the reply. That begs the question why? Why would my phone company (Cox) allow unknown numbers to pass when I have enabled the feature to prevent numbers without a caller ID?

From the Cox Anonymous Call Rejection FAQ:

"What is Anonymous Call Rejection? This service allows you to reject calls from anyone who has blocked their number so you cannot see it on your caller ID."

--
Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them. (Charlie Reese)

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

1 edit

there is a national caller id data base which phone companies submitt info on phone numbers assigned to poeople or groups if that data base is not updated and submitted by the phone company it shows as unknow, also alot of telemarketers are now out of contry and will show as unknown and blocking features only work on US based numbers

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK
reply to Ender3rd

Anonymous call rejection is not the same as unknown call rejection. Anonymous requires that you enter a code to start the call to block the information. Unknown is different, even if it can be used as a feature, it's technically not call blocking.

Ender3rd

Connecticut

Thanks again for the replies m8trix and Hoss.

What would prevent Cox from blocking all calls that do not have a valid caller ID? It would certainly eliminate a lot of annoying robo-calls that I have no interest in receiving. I ended up putting a SIT tone at the beginning of my answering machine message to deal with auto-bot calls and we simply ignore the phone when we see "Unavailable Unknown Number" on the display. It would be far more preferable to simply not have the phone ring at all with anonymous/unavailable/unkown numbers.
--

m8trix

Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

cause if they did that and some one is trying to call you and is a legitimate call would be SOL and when i mean by you is all cox customer,so for example if if my mother was in another state or country and she is trying to reach me and her id shows up as unknown she would not be able to get through if cox blocked all unknown id's

this is where registering your number with the do not call registry with the US government to help cut down on telemarketing calls and selective call acceptance( which blocks all calls except the one you program to come through)

Optimus2357
Premium
join:2010-11-21
West Warwick, RI
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

Here is an idea, treat telemarketers like phone spam. Way I see it, not only are they a hassle to the customer, but they take up bandwidth.

And you could (hypothetically) use similar methods to track and isolate. Use a * code that marks a particular caller as "spam*. Get enough reports, red flag the number. Then sell a service that blocks any incoming red flagged call. Or have phone honeypots, fake numbers that if repeatedly called from the same area can block calls from that number all together. Have caller ID content filters. The sky is the limit. I just think all of those idea are probably costly and complicated to do. It would be cool though huh?

::Edit:: Removed a piece here that was long winded.

As for the Do not call list:
»www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consume···107.shtm

". Because of limitations in the jurisdiction of the FTC and FCC, calls from or on behalf of political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors would still be permitted, as would calls from companies with which you have an **existing business relationship**, or those to whom you’ve provided express agreement in writing to receive their calls"

The FTC and FCC don't enforce the using of the do not call list, like most things FCC, they only take complaints, and can fine certian groups. They don't have much bite. And some just take the fines as a cost of doing business.

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA
reply to Ender3rd

said by Ender3rd:

Thanks for the reply. That begs the question why? Why would my phone company (Cox) allow unknown numbers to pass when I have enabled the feature to prevent numbers without a caller ID?

From the Cox Anonymous Call Rejection FAQ:

"What is Anonymous Call Rejection? This service allows you to reject calls from anyone who has blocked their number so you cannot see it on your caller ID."

Ender3rd See Profile Can you send me your phone number in IM please. I know the product manager for this feature, we might be able to find out more if we can look at it from our side. Thanks.

Hoss
Sauters A Walrus

join:2000-10-05
Tulsa, OK
reply to Ender3rd

OK, this is the way I remember from way back when CID was first implemented (93/94 I think?).

Anonymous calling (call block) is instituted by entering a code (in Bell's case it was *67 I believe) to initiate that feature. In some cases, you could have it where your number ALWAYS used that feature. It would come across on the CID clients as either "ANONYMOUS CALLER" or "CALLER ID BLOCKED"

Unavailable is totally different. During the ramp-up for CID, not all carriers transmitted the block that would be interpreted by the CID clients to display the name and/or number. In that case, the data didn't exist, so it showed up simply as "Unavailable" on CID clients. Nothing nefarious was going on, some carriers just didn't transmit that block.

On anonymous calling, the block exists, but is marked as an anonymous call, so the CID shows it as such. Exceptions were made for these. Example: coin phones couldn't use the code to block the number.

Ender3rd

Connecticut
reply to CoxJimR

said by CoxJimR:

Ender3rd See Profile Can you send me your phone number in IM please. I know the product manager for this feature, we might be able to find out more if we can look at it from our side. Thanks.

Message sent, thanks.

The Do Not Call Registry, which I have utilized since its inception, has helped greatly, but there are still unscrupulous telemarketers who simply ignore it. One obvious example is the "Card Services" phone harassment campaign that has been running rampant for several years. There's a fairly long thread in the "Security - Scam and Phishbusters" forum here at DSLR regarding their elusive number origination tactics and phone exploits.

One thing I can say for certain is that I have never received a call from an "Unavailable Unknown Number" that wasn't a solicitation. At this point, we simply defer them to the answering machine and let them listen to the SIT tone. If it's a human, they can leave a message, but not one of them has.

It would be great to have the option to prevent them from ringing the phone. I can "whitelist" my incoming email, so why not have the option to do the same with my phone?
--

CoxJimR
Premium,VIP
join:2002-01-17
Atlanta, GA

So here's the scoop on Anonymous Call Rejection from our Product Manager. The short answer is after looking at some call record detail, it worked like it is supposed to you, and she looked at the thread, and found most of your comments were pretty accurate. Here's the background she gave me:

Anonymous Call Rejection is a switch feature that only rejects calls that are blocked by the call originator (using *67 per call blocking or with caller ID blocking on the line.) These are calls that would appear as “Anonymous,” “Private,” or “Blocked.” Anonymous Call Rejection does not block incoming calls that are tagged as “Unavailable,” “Unknown,” or “Out of Area.”

As a practice, Cox does not return “unknown” or “unavailable” for incoming calls that do not have any calling name associated with them. Instead, we display the city name and state abbreviation. So why do customers still see “Unknown” & “Unavailable” on their caller ID or call log displays? Many telemarketers actually populate their calling name information with a name of “Unknown” or “Unavailable.” They'll even pad these with leading & trailing blanks. We have live filters to catch this, but it is a constant battle.

One more special case - if Cox receives bad TN information on an incoming call (e.g. 999-999-9999) this will result in “Name Unavailable.” Often times these bad TNs are the result of the caller spoofing their calling number.
As far as if we would offer such a feature, not quite sure where it would fall in at this time, but we'll keep it on the big feature request list.

Thanks, Jim

Ender3rd

Connecticut

CoxJimR,

Thank you for bringing this to the attention of the Product Manager and for confirming the difference between *67 per call blocking (along with caller ID line blocking) and the annoying "Unknown" or "Unavailable" calls. At this point, no one in the house bothers to pick up the phone unless the Caller ID is visible and is either someone we know or a call from a business we deal with. Everything else goes to the machine where 99% of them instantly disconnect when they hear the SIT tone at the start of the message.

The only persistently annoying calls have been from a company that calls itself "Card Services" with a relentless credit card debt spiel and an ability to generate unlimited banks of spoofed numbers. They have no regard for the "Do Not Call List" and appear to be untroubled even when investigated by the CT State Attorney General's office. The thread detailing their exploits can be read at the link below.

As you said, it's a constant battle. Thanks again for assisting!

Regards,

Ender

»[Scam] Card Services relentless phone calls revisited
--

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:77

1 recommendation

Something that may be worth pointing out there is the do not call list doesn't apply to debt collectors as how these aren't telemarketing calls. If you aren't the person they're looking for and they refuse to stop calling you could always send them a cease communication letter certified return receipt. If the continue to call after that you may be able to go after them for violating one or more laws.