thx for the confirmideas on next steps?worth calling and asking wtf?or just deal
It's been unreachable for me for 2 days... I would call if I knew how to even explain the problem to rogers tech support. I'm probably just going to wait and see for a few more days.
Just curious . . . Have you tried both the https and http site?
I tried both flushing dns and » and » no luck.