Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI

WOW Moment .. New $4 phone fee in May

Having just been socked with a higher bundle cost in January, I get this postcard in the mail from Colleen about a new $4 "Network Line Fee" added to WOW Phone starting in May. Weak!

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
vonage or magicjack plus.

best alternatives. show them you don't like it and disconnect the phone service.

pargoff

join:2006-07-05
Canton, MI
i highly recommend ooma as well

bsipe9

join:2007-03-24
Berea, OH
reply to Body Count
said by Body Count:

vonage or magicjack plus.

best alternatives. show them you don't like it and disconnect the phone service.

I'd heard nothing but awful things about magicjack. But I broke down in October when the magicjack plus came out and I've been pretty darn happy. Call quality has never been an issue. Only annoyance for me so far is that you have to dial your local area code for local calls. But for $400 a year savings, that's something I can live with.

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH
said by bsipe9:

I'd heard nothing but awful things about magicjack. But I broke down in October when the magicjack plus came out and I've been pretty darn happy. Call quality has never been an issue. Only annoyance for me so far is that you have to dial your local area code for local calls. But for $400 a year savings, that's something I can live with.

Yeah I wouldn't buy the first magicjack just because you had to keep a computer running if you wanted your phone to work. even with a laptop that right there would offset the reduced costs by handing out higher electric bills.

But the plus version doesn't need a computer. Plus they said they fixed two big issues. Something with call echo... and voice quality.

I was thinking of getting the plus version but I have no need for it since I use my cell phone as a home phone.

DarthSaruman
Before Me You Tremble

join:2002-06-28
Warren, MI
reply to rjackal
very frustrating...my bill already jumped $5.00 about 3 months ago and now another $4.00...is it going to come down to taking out a loan to pay for cable!!!...no, its lets pass the buck fee to the consumers...time to look at AT&T for just phone service again...

DarthSaruman
Before Me You Tremble

Warren, MI
reply to rjackal
on another note...they could have taken care of the rising cost by not sending out these post cards...no, lets waste money doing that instead of emailing every customer...wow...now that was intelligent

sgc

join:2011-11-02
Naperville, IL
said by DarthSaruman:

on another note...they could have taken care of the rising cost by not sending out these post cards...no, lets waste money doing that instead of emailing every customer...wow...now that was intelligent

FCC regulation says they have to notify by mail of any rate hikes - even the 2 cent rate hikes, which would take a year or two to recover the cost of the letters.

I got this too, but since I am rate guaranteed, it does not affect me. I checked.

DarthSaruman
Before Me You Tremble

Warren, MI
well thats the problem with society...lets waste money and have the people pick up the pieces...

rjackal
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Plymouth, MI
reply to rjackal
Looking at Ooma right now. Wondering what the non-bundled price is for 8/1 internet and Digital Basic cable..

BigJimmy

@wideopenwest.com
reply to DarthSaruman
So one postcard being mailed out would save me $4/month on my bills? I'll bet you've got a bridge for sale too!

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
reply to rjackal
i have good things about ooma, i use voipo and like it alot... prepaid for 2 yrs for cheap...

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to rjackal
said by rjackal:

Looking at Ooma right now. Wondering what the non-bundled price is for 8/1 internet and Digital Basic cable..

Both services are obsolete.

DarthSaruman
Before Me You Tremble

Warren, MI
reply to BigJimmy
the whole point of it is: with one income it is becoming difficult to buy food let alone pay for f'n cable increase...very annoying...might go back to rabbit ears...

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to rjackal
I guess this $4 increase would make WOW's phone service just simply not a better deal than the at&t landline at my house that runs $25.change (total bill) plus about $3 or less to Pioneer Telephone for long distance (could use my Google Voice # for free long distance). I don't have any optional features such as voice mail, call waiting, caller ID, etc. on my landline.

The base rate for Digital TV + 15/1 internet is $82... to Essential Phone to that would bring the base rate to $102, plus $7/month to lease the EMTA/modem combo thingy (can't use my modem that I own anymore), plus the new $4/month Network Line Fee. This would be $31/month *plus* whatever phone-related taxes and fees the base $102 doesn't include. And we'd still have to pay $0.05/minute for long distance or use Google Voice, and also gotta worry about battery backup.

Sorry WOW, you're gonna have to offer a better deal.

doyling

join:2004-09-22
Schaumburg, IL
reply to rjackal
I switched to Vonage some time back, then rolled the savings into a higher class internet account. So far so good.

mrjes

join:2012-04-03
Oak Forest, IL
reply to rjackal
Anyone have experience with NetTalk. I tgried them once - I still have two of their original TK6000 hardware devices. According to them, I get a LIFETIME plan for being in on the original "beta" group. :-/ So if I can get these things to work... bye bye WOW phone!!!!!!!

smunro622
Premium
join:2006-02-15
Madison Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to rjackal
i have viatalk previously but there prices have gone up also... phone service should not be this expensive... its insane.. I probally wont renew when this one is up and get rid of landlines all together...
With volte coming and other options out there who knows

mrjes

join:2012-04-03
Oak Forest, IL
reply to rjackal
Anyone here use the NetTalk - orignal device or the DUO.

join:2011-10-25
Toledo, OH
reply to sgc
Your package rate would NOT be affected. This would be a below the line fee. Such as a tax/surcharge. One would assume that you would be paying this as well.

Toledo, OH
reply to bsipe9
Most areas need to dial the area code for local calls. It's becoming the norm as areas codes are being low on numbers. 440,216,330 and 614 have area codes ready to be put in place and ready to be switched to 10-digit dialing. 216 already had it in place but was later canceled by the State.

And it's no big deal to dial 3 extra numbers. You should actually get used to it.

smellslikeMI

join:2012-02-15
Troy, MI
reply to Body Count
magic jack plus. no PC required. mine works great.

sgc

Naperville, IL
reply to rjackal
In my area, they did this a few years ago. About a year later, at least on WOW! phone, only the last 7 digits were required for 630 numbers. That's the only place I haven't had to use all 10 digits, but I have not used any other landline service since the transition.

Toledo, OH
some VoIP carriers require this. Packet8 was one that required it as well. Not sure if Vonage ever did require it. But its easy and not that big of deal. After a few days you get used to it.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to rjackal
I just received our latest bill and the $4 charge is one there. But I also will have the $4 charge waived until 2014. So I guess it isn't something to worry about yet.

LordKronos

join:2002-01-02
Dearborn Heights, MI
I currently use Google Voice for free phone service using an Obi 110 ($45 one time cost). I pay no monthly fees for it. The 2 biggest downsides of it are

1) you get caller ID number, but not caller ID name. For the most part this doesn't bother me because my phone displays the name associated with that number in the phone's address book.

2) you don't get 911 service. I deal with this by subscribing to CallCentric and paying $1.50/month for the 911 service. Since the Obi lets you configure 2 VOIP accounts, I configure Google Voice as the primary account (used for all calls) and CallCentric as the secondary account (which never gets used except for 911).