reply to dabombnl

Re: [IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout

sorry, it wasn't intentional though.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:4
reply to whfsdude
Really?, thats unusual because for example I use 6RD on Comcast with a hurricane electric tunnel and it works. Comcast turned off their own 6RD relays back in June.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mike Wolf:

Really?, thats unusual because for example I use 6RD on Comcast with a hurricane electric tunnel and it works. Comcast turned off their own 6RD relays back in June.

Not sure how it's working. Maybe you'll want to run »test-ipv6.com/ again.

6RD encodes your public IPv4 address into a /32 subnet on IPv6. That won't work with static 6in4 tunnels as address blocks are already pre-defined for you.

RR Conductor
NWP RR Inc.,serving NW CA
Premium
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
kudos:1
reply to scajjr
said by scajjr:

Man I was born in 1954 so now I feel ancient .

RR -I was going to comment after you posted that first pic that you needed to update your firmware from .90 to .108 (there were some ipv6 issues in .90 & .96) but saw in the second pic that you had done that.

I replaced a Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH with the RT-N66U mainly for the IPv6 compatibility but the 66U also has stronger coverage in our 2 story house (not that the Buffalo was bad but the 66U is even stronger).

Went to HE and got an account. Will try setting up IPv6 over the weekend. Just wondering- I have 6 computers on our home network (2 wired, 4 wireless). Does the ipv6 address on each have to be set manually or just have them all running when setting up the tunnel on HE?

Sam

Well, my parents were both born in 1934, and are celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary this October, so they beat us all in that department. lol Love ya mom and dad! My brother came along in 1954 too, then my two sisters in 1955 and 1962 and yours truly in 1971.

Yeah, the new firmware did something, they must have solved whatever was wrong with IPv6 in the previous firmware.
Expand your moderator at work

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to whfsdude

10/10 IPv4
10/10 IPv6

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
reply to telcodad
I guess one could give a IPv4MaskLen of 32, negating any address encoding. That would make 6rd sort of work. Kind of weird vendor implementation though.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad
As Mike Wolf reported in: »Comcast announces IPv6 deployment for gateways beginning

From: Comcast's IPv6 Information Center (»www.comcast6.net/ ):

New Firmware for NetGear CMD31T Device Released
Monday, May 14, 2012

NetGear and Comcast have completed emergency testing, certification, and field soak with their new firmware that resolved the previous IPv6 defect. This new firmware should now be running on all CMD31T devices operating in our network. In addition, NetGear has updated their existing unsold devices, some of which are now available at Walmart stores around the country. We appreciate NetGear's close cooperation to bring this to closure.
Expand your moderator at work

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Mike Wolf

said by Mike Wolf:

What HE offers are called 6in4 tunnels.

mike5026
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Rockford, IL
reply to telcodad
Looks like IPv6 is working for me now.

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to telcodad
I set my RT-N66U router to IPv6 native w/DHCP, but still nothing up here in Northwestern California.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to mike5026
Noticed I have a native IPv6 address on Friday. Strangely the modem still says it's in IPv4 mode.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

reply to RR Conductor
said by RR Conductor:

I set my RT-N66U router to IPv6 native w/DHCP, but still nothing up here in Northwestern California.

Well, it isn't the magic June 6 date yet, so perhaps you might get it by then. OTOH, since participation in this June 6 turn on program only requires 1% of an ISP's customers actually receive IPv6 service by that date, it is entirely possible that the customers who are already getting IPv6 service will enable Comcast to meet that minimum requirement.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Well I certainly hope that's not the case and EVERYONE gets to experience the miracle IPv6 is before that date

mike5026
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Rockford, IL
reply to Mike Wolf
Yeah that is strange my modem says that as well. But I had done the IPv6 test and it does say I have IPv6. Wonder if anyone else has that?

RR Conductor
Premium
Redwood Valley, CA
reply to telcodad
Evidently I'm getting an IPv6 address, but my IPv6 isn't fully enabled-

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 67.180.42.98

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:4137:9e76:1056:24f9:bc4b:d59d
Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness scores
10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

reply to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

Well I certainly hope that's not the case and EVERYONE gets to experience the miracle IPv6 is before that date

That would be nice, if it were possible. However, I suspect that Comcast will be turning up a handful of CMTS boxes at a time for at least the rest of this year.

Seriously, can you imagine the support call center traffic that would occur if Comcast suddenly just turned on IPv6 on their entire network (even if there were no Comcast network problems)?
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
yeah you make good points, lol. people calling in freaking out asking "what the hell is this?!" and stuff.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Mike Wolf:

yeah you make good points, lol. people calling in freaking out asking "what the hell is this?!" and stuff.

Stuff is going to break either way on June 6th. You have tons of users with broken v6 stacks (running 6to4 behind NAT) etc.

I think a lot of users won't even notice they have broken networks due to happy eyeballs.

»tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6555

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
said by whfsdude:

Stuff is going to break either way on June 6th. You have tons of users with broken v6 stacks (running 6to4 behind NAT) etc.

I'll have the fire extinguishers ready when it all goes up in flames.