spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Knoll

join:2012-02-05

[Caps] A question about the HBO Go block.

Hey all, I currently have television service through Dish Network (which I'm perfectly happy with), and 2Mbit DSL Internet service through AT&T (which I'm not happy with at all). Because AT&T basically told me that their UVerse service will also be limited to about 2-2.5Mbit to my house because of the way my neighborhood is wired, I've been looking at switching to Xfinity internet for my home (several neighbors have it and have awesome performance).

Today, though, I'm hearing from people that HBO Go is "blocked" by Comcast. I have HBO service through Dish and have been using Go for a while now. I primarily watch it on my tablet, but I also have an XBox 360 and have installed the app there too (the picture quality is poor though, as the 360 version apparently chokes on my slow Internet connection). I also have two android phones with the Go app installed, and occasionally watch shows on them as well. Is the Go service blocked for everyone on Comcast, or only it's television customers? If I switch to Xfinity phone and internet, but keep Dish TV, can I still use the HBO Go app on my devices?

If it's blocked, this is a deal killer.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

HBO content is supposed to be available on the new Xfinity VoD app for the Xbox 360, and according to this article on The Verge site, HBO content is also available through the Xfinity TV iPad and iPhone apps:

HBO Go for Xbox 360 unavailable to Comcast and Time Warner Cable subscribers
The Verge - March 27, 2012
»www.theverge.com/2012/3/27/29064···er-cable

"However, it's worth noting that HBO content is available through Comcast's Xfinity TV iPad and iPhone apps, so it's possible that the forthcoming Xfinity On Demand for Xbox 360 will include HBO as well."

darkcrucible

join:2007-06-07
kudos:1

I was browsing the Xfinity app on the 360 last night and there is indeed HBO content there. I watched a few minutes of Game of Thrones & Curb Your Enthusiasm. It seems to match what Xfinity VOD has for HBO content (but with worse picture quality). Having said that, I'm not sure if that matches what's available on HBO Go because I've never used it before.

utsports

join:2009-07-13
Knoxville TN
reply to Knoll

said by Knoll:

If I switch to Xfinity phone and internet, but keep Dish TV, can I still use the HBO Go app on my devices?

Absolutely, all you have to do is use your Dish Account Login information and Activate the Xbox 360 at hbogo.com/activate that will authorize the Xbox just as your doing now. It will work great over the XFINITY Internet. It will also work on all your other devices as well such as Roku, iOS, Android etc. In fact in this video this guy had Comcast TV, Internet, and HBO Subscription but could not use the HBOGO app since it wasn't supported so his friend gave him his DirecTV password and he activated with it and used the service over Comcast Internet and as you can see it worked great.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk6umfZ6op4

FifthE1ement
Tech Nut

join:2005-03-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to Knoll

Don't listen to the others in this post as they have no clue what they are talking about it seems. If you are planning on just switching your internet and leaving your TV setup the way it is then this will not be an issue. HBO is not blocked over Comcast only Comcast is blocking HBO logins to stop users from getting rid of their boxes. If you are planning on switching TV, Internet, Phone, etc then stay where you are for now. Right now HBO Go via Xbox 360 WILL NOT work with Comcast service and HBO subscription. Comcast is not on the provider list therefore you cannot activate your setup. You can however use HBO Go on your Android phone without issue as Comcast enabled that. Also if you have a Smart TV, I have the Samsung HBO Go app on my TV, Comcast has disabled use over that platform as well. And finally they disabled the Roku HBO Go app too!

As for content the people above have no idea what they are talking about. HBO Go allows you to view every season of every show just about made from HBO. EG: You can go back and watch season 1 of Curb Your Enthusiasm or Sopranos. With the Comcast OnDemand offerings is only what would be available OnDemand at the time which is always usually a couple episodes (usually 5) of certain shows and movies. The HBO Go app enables EVERY SHOW and EVERY MOVIE! The Comcast VOD app has like 1/24 the content if even that!

See the links below about annoyed customers on the official forums:

»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1204673
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1234509
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1100271

Customers have been posting for months angrily with no response from Comcast!

5th
--
"The relationship between what we see and what we know is never settled..."

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Well it looks like HBO Go will soon be available on the Xbox 360 for Comcast customers:

Comcast subscribers may soon get HBO Go on the Xbox
FierceCable - April 5, 2012
»www.fiercecable.com/story/comcas···12-04-05

"Reports say that Comcast and HBO are closing in on a deal to make the HBO Go app available to Xfinity subscribers on the Xbox. According to The New York Times, the operator may unlock access as early as this week.

The fact that Comcast has blocked HBO Go on some devices has been a major point of contention in recent weeks. Although the MSO allows subscribers to access the app on tablets and PCs, it has steered clear of making it available on larger living-room screens. As of right now, Comcast subscribers can't access HBO Go on Roku boxes, Samsung connected TVs, or the Xbox.

Part of the controversy around the HBO Go issue is the fact that Comcast offers its own Xfinity app on the Xbox. That app is not only available to all subscribers, but usage doesn't count against Comcast's broadband caps the way it does any time a subscriber streams video from HBO Go, Netflix, or any other Internet-based video service. The reason the Xfinity app gets special treatment is because Comcast delivers the content over its own managed IP network, rather than the open Internet. However, that fact has not appeased some critics, who believe there are serious net neutrality implications to be considered.

As for the latest word that Comcast will allow access to HBO Go on the Xbox after all, it's certainly news that HBO fans will cheer. HBO Go offers a huge back catalog of original HBO programming, including viewer favorites like True Blood, The Wire, and many others."

For more see the New York Times: »mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2···comcast/

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

HBO Go will be available on the Xbox 360 for Comcast customers starting early next week:

Comcast To Activate HBO Go On Xbox Next Week
Video Used Through Premium Programmer's App Will Count Toward 250-GB Cap
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - April 6, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/article/482···Week.php

"Starting early next week, Comcast will let HBO subscribers access the premium network's app on Microsoft's Xbox 360 -- but unlike with the operator's own VOD app for the console, video accessed through HBO Go will count toward the 250-Gigabyte monthly data-usage limit on broadband users.

Comcast announced the new feature in a blog post Friday »blog.comcast.com/2012/04/hbogo-n···ers.html . To access HBO Go on the Xbox Live service -- which costs an additional $60 per year from Microsoft -- customers can log in with the same username and password that they use for Xfinity TV on Xbox.

HBO Go launched on the game platform last week. Comcast also debuted its own Xfinity TV app for the Xbox, but the MSO was not among the initial affiliates supporting the HBO app. (Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks also do not allow HBO Go on Xbox.) Comcast and HBO resolved business issues unrelated to the device itself to reach an agreement on HBO Go for Xbox, according to an industry source.

Meanwhile, Comcast still does not provide access to the HBO authenticated programming service through Roku set-tops or Samsung Smart TVs, as most other HBO affiliates do.

With Comcast's launch of Xfinity TV for Xbox, public-interest groups complained that the operator's policy of not counting video-on-demand consumed through the app was anticompetitive relative to other Internet-delivered services. Comcast said that because the Xbox acts as effectively another set-top box for VOD that does not traverse the Internet, usage of the Xfinity app is not subject to the 250 GB monthly cap.

The MSO, in its frequently asked questions section of its website, says all Internet-delivered video -- including that on its XfinityTV.com site -- counts toward total usage.

A Comcast spokesman said all HBO Go usage will apply to the cap because the video is delivered over the public Internet, while the Xfinity TV VOD app for Xbox uses only the MSO's private network."

The Comcast FAQs page for their Xfinity TV and HBO Go apps for Xbox 360: »xbox.comcast.net/faqs.html

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

Comcast access to the HBO Go app on Xbox 360 is live
Engadget - April 9, 2012
»www.engadget.com/2012/04/09/comc···is-live/

"After a short delay, Comcast subscribers are now on the list of users able to access the HBO Go streaming app via their Xbox 360s. Although some HBO content was already included in the Xfinity TV app, it wasn't all there however a change in the policy was rumored and then eventually confirmed late last week.

We're still left to ponder what exactly caused the hold up, and why there's still no hint of streaming access on Roku or Samsung.

The news was tweeted earlier from the HBO Go official account, you can head there and check out another one of those promotional teasers (

youtu.be/0oVX9gmR4yI
), or just take your Comcast account credentials to your Xbox and get to streaming."
Expand your moderator at work