R Not
MVM
join:2000-09-18
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

IE 8 or 9???

Click for full size
OK, I upgraded to IE9 - kinda like it says. But... under Help About IE -- it still says IE8. Is it just me????
Cornbane
join:2008-11-14

Cornbane

Mine say 9. For starters I'd suggest closing the browser and re-opening, followed by restarting the computer if that didn't work. Been a long time since I updated so I don't know for sure why you'd be seeing that.

mozerd
Light Will Pierce The Darkness
MVM
join:2004-04-23
Nepean, ON

mozerd to R2

MVM

to R2
After upgrade from 8 to 9 you must restart [reboot] your computer ... That will enable the upgrade to take effect.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

1 recommendation

psafux to R2

Premium Member

to R2
reboot first.

to remove IE9, go into add/remove programs, click on installed updates. You will find it in that listing. It will take a few minutes, reboot and you will be back at 8.

(just saving you a few minutes of having to make a new post when you decide to remove 9)

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

1 edit

R2

MVM

Rebooted twice. Even crashed the computer on purpose and restarted it. STILL SAYS IE8!!!

In the Internet Explorer folder the iexplore.exe is above. This does not appear to be 9!!

The reason why I am updating is because IE 8 seems to be having problems. For example, clicking "upload attachments" here does nothing -- I had to switch to Google Chrome to make that attachment appear!!!

Notice how the Version Number and Cyber Strength entries are blank too... weird.

On this computer, IE does NOT appear in the Add/Remove Programs list. Can't remove it that way!

porkpie
No Pork For 40 Days
join:2001-05-28
Cleveland, OH

porkpie to R2

to R2
Are you on XP or are you on Vista and above? If on XP it will only go to IE8

R2
R Not
MVM
Long Beach, CA

R2

MVM

This is Win7 - 64 bit. Even though I am clearly on IE8, if I try to download and run IE8, the computer tells me IE8 cannot run on this OS!!! I have been using IE8 for as long as I have had this Win7 computer -- and now it says it won't run???? WTF???

This is totally crazy. I cannot download and reinstall IE8 - it tells me it does not run on Win7. I download and install IE9 and it doesn't work - I am still in IE8. I cannot uninstall IE - there is no option under Add/Remove programs. Catch 22....
R2

R2

MVM

I essentially had NO CHOICE. I re-downloaded IE9 and reinstalled it. Things work now. So I was somehow FORCED to upgrade to IE9 if I wanted functionality restored!!!