how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xanadu
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Birmingham, AL

[Beginner] Does the Macbook Pro need a special hard drive?

Hello Folks, I'm a Windows guy, and know nothing about mac computers. So here's the situation (if you don't like reading, just read the last paragraph):

Recently, my co-worker gave me two 13" Macbook Pros (Late 2011) with damaged screens to repair. One of them was dropped, causing the outer glass to crack severely. The other one had a _car_ run over it, causing the LCD to crack, but leaving the outer glass fine. Thanks to google and youtube, I found out how to remove the outer glass and LCD. I painstakingly remove the bits of glass from the first MB Pro and replaced with the outer glass from the second MB Pro. All was well with the first MB Pro, and was given back to the owner.

Meanwhile, I ordered the replacement LCD and outer glass for the second MB Pro. Yesterday, I received the two items. LCD replacement went well, but before placing the outer glass, I wanted to make sure the system was okay. Not surprisingly, the computer has a problem (Gray folder with a question mark.) After google searching the problem, and trying a few solutions, it's understood that the hard drive is bad.

Today, I will ask my co-worker bring the other MB Pro back so I can swap drives to see if that's really the issue. If so, great! With the system running, I will check the optical drive and see how the overall system runs.

In the meantime, I need to know of a Macbook Pro needs a special hard drive, or will any 2.5 HDD will work. Also, how can I install the Mac OS X without the CD (I don''t know if the guy has the OS CD, but I assume he doesn't because most owners don't. )?

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

They'll work with any standard height 2.5" SATA drive.

For OS X.. you may be able to do a Net Recovery being that it's a recent laptop - it depends on if it shipped with the EFI update or if somebody installed it if it didn't ship with it.

To try, boot the laptop while holding down Command+R:
»support.apple.com/kb/HT4718

If that doesn't work, your options are copying the OS X install from another Mac via USB or Firewire or buying an OS X install disc / usb drive (options of questionable legality omitted).
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

Xanadu
Premium
join:2002-05-09
Birmingham, AL

said by Thinkdiff:

If that doesn't work, your options are copying the OS X install from another Mac via USB or Firewire or buying an OS X install disc / usb drive (options of questionable legality omitted).

How exactly would I go about copying the install from another mac? Add what about the OS License?

Curious, how much does OS X Lion/Leopard/Whatever cost? Which one is best?

Is the MacBook Pro's hard drive a SATA 1.5 or 3.0 (I believe it's the latter, but I want to be sure.)?

Thanks for your assistance, and I'll have access to the second MB this weekend.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·webpass.net

said by Xanadu:

How exactly would I go about copying the install from another mac? Add what about the OS License?

Clone the drive. There is no license file or activation like on Windows. I believe the software license is attached to the hardware, so you can always install the OS X version that came with the computer legally, even if you download the software from bit torrent.

said by Xanadu:

Curious, how much does OS X Lion/Leopard/Whatever cost? Which one is best?

10.5=leopard, 10.6=snow leopard, 10.7=lion

It's almost universally agreed that 10.6 was an improved version of 10.5. Some have issues with 10.7, others love it. Safest best is to install 10.7 if it was on the computer already, or 10.6 if 10.6 or 10.5 was installed prior. However, 10.5 is the last version to run some PPC apps, so check with the owner.

Snow Leopard disks are $29. Lion is installed via the App store for $29, physical media are $80.

said by Xanadu:

Is the MacBook Pro's hard drive a SATA 1.5 or 3.0 (I believe it's the latter, but I want to be sure.)?

You can click the apple in the very top corner, go to about this mac, and then more info. If on 10.6 system profiler will open, on 10.7 click the "system report" button. Then go to Serial-ATA on the left pane of what opens, and look on the right pane for the bus speed.

If you got the ? after a drop, you may be looking at a damaged logic board and not a damaged drive. What I would do is connect the damaged computer to a working mac with a firewire cable, then boot the damaged mac while holding down the "T" key. This will turn the laptop into a giant firewire external disk, which should appear on the working mac. If the drive hardware is working but the data is corrupted, you should be able to both see the drive and reformat it using "Disk Utility", then install the OS on it, all while working on the working mac. Once the OS installs, you can reboot the now broken mac and it will self-boot into the new OS.

On the other hand, if you put it into target disk mode and see no drive show up, you know you have a hardware problem. I'd then swap disks between machines, and if that still doesn't work, you know you have a logic board (main board) failure.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
kudos:2

Does anyone know if the Load Cycle Count issue is still relevant with Lion and the newer systems?

»joernhees.de/blog/2011/09/16/mac···-counts/

On the non Apple HDD's I have been purchasing (Western Digital), I've been using WDIdle and disabling their idle timer for just the above reason. Fortunately, my current systems still all have their stock 500GB drives (Mini 2011, Mini 2009, and MBP 2010), so I haven't had to do it lately.

However, on my parent's PPC 1.42Ghz Mini, I had to disable with WDIdle on their replacement WD drive before install, because the last one (that failed, BTW) had over 3 million load cycle counts.

Daemon
Premium
join:2003-06-29
Berkeley, CA
reply to Xanadu

I hope the guy who writes that blog filed the high cycle count as a bug. That shouldn't be happening, especially with a 1st party drive.
--
-Ryan
I use Linux, OS X, iOS and Windows. Let the OS wars die.