Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b to baineschile

MVM

to baineschile

Re: [Rant] Modem Rental

The bottom line is this: before I bought the zoom internet modem I called comcast and was told that "there would be no charges for the existing voice modem since it was part of the service".

So based on that I went ahead and bought my own docsis3 modem for internet, and now they turn around and are charging me for the voice emta.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

If you have two they charge you for one, If you have one they charge you for one. You can always return your zoom modem and get the second back. Its always been that way. Im guessing you received two because your internet and emta modem isnt in the same spot. Thats usually why its done and thats really why comcast sends two out instead of just one. You can read every add offering cdv and it always says extra equipment charges apply.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

It's too late to return the zoom modem to the retailer, they had a 30 day return period.

The reason I wound up with two comcast modems initially was when I upgraded to blast a few years ago, the docsis2 arris 402emta would not deliver the blast plan speeds. And since docsis3 emta's were not being issued yet they gave me the second docsis3 HSI modem to use. Both devices are right next to each other in the cellar. I was renting the docsis 3 modem.

The reason I'm PO'd is because I specifically called to confirm this and was told by them that I would not be charged for the voice emta, before I even went out and bought my own HSI modem.

I was told the voice emta was included with the digital voice service, in other words free.

Now they're billing me.

The nearest authorized bestbuy to purchase an eMTA on their "list" is over an hour away.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

Yes the csr was incorrect. But that doesnt change the way it is and always has been. I understand why your frustrated but it is what it is. Your best bet is to return the modem and go buy a Voip internet combo modem if thats what you want.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

The return period for the retail purchase has long since expired, I'm "stuck" with the zoom modem.

I'm anticipating that my case posted in the Direct forum will yield satisfactory results, otherwise I will be forced into pursuit of my complaint outside of comcast channels.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

1 recommendation

PeteC2

MVM

said by jack b:

The return period for the retail purchase has long since expired, I'm "stuck" with the zoom modem.

I'm anticipating that my case posted in the Direct forum will yield satisfactory results, otherwise I will be forced into pursuit of my complaint outside of comcast channels.

I agree that Comcast employees need to be a little more adept at explaining these things.

As a new Comcast voice/internet customer, I received both the eMTA modem and the Docsis 3.0 modem for self-install(even though on the performance tier, Docsis 3.0 is not strictly required. Thanks to EG for explaining why this still was desireable! ). Even though I am no noob to networking and broadband in general, I had no idea that they were sending me two modems, and at first, thought that they had made a mistake, and that I was meant to use the eMTA modem. Upon calling Comcast about this, I received three different explanations: 1. The reason for 2 modems was in case my voice and internet set-up locations were to be in different areas of the house...2. I really should not have received 2 modems...3. I had service in a Docsis 3.0 area, and my internet should be through a Docsis 3.0 modem!

I thought that they would charge "rent" on both modems, and actually did purchase my own Docsis 3.0 modem, only to find out that they only charge for one device, so I returned the purchased modem.

Most, if not all of my confusion could have been eliminated had Comcast included a simple, one-page explanation with the self-install kit, not to mention that they would not have had to waste time with several subsequent calls that I had to make to understand what the deal was.

I do believe that Comcast reps do not deliberately mislead customers, but clearly, a little better training on the various plans and equipment would be in order.

P.S. I would have much preferred simply being sent a Docsis 3.0 compliant VOIP modem in the first place...although I suspect that for some folks, being able to have the voice and data modems in different locations might be desireable.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

said by PeteC2:

said by jack b:

I suspect that for some folks, being able to have the voice and data modems in different locations might be desireable.

For me, I had the leased CDV modem & my own HSI modem sitting next to each other. Dual locations wasn't my objective.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

That wasn't the case here either. In fact I had to add a splitter just to hook up the second modem. Fortunately my signal coming in is very good so the dB attenuation was not something to create an issue.

It's worked perfectly fine for me like this for years, all I was trying to do is save some money, not buy a load of aggravation...and until now I've been a relatively satisfied customer, as far as performance goes, anyway.