telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to tshirt

MVM

to tshirt

Re: [IPv6] Comcast Pulls Back On IPv6 Rollout

The thing is, the statements from Comcast say that the Netgear issue "exacerbates a critical IPv6-related defect."

This sounds like there is also a problem on Comcast's side, with their IPv6 hardware and/or software, that the issue with Netgear's modem brought to light.

jlivingood
Premium Member
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA

jlivingood

Premium Member

said by telcodad:

The thing is, the statements from Comcast say that the Netgear issue "exacerbates a critical IPv6-related defect."

This sounds like there is also a problem on Comcast's side, with their IPv6 hardware and/or software, that the issue with Netgear's modem brought to light.

It is not a problem with the network...

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

hi Jason We missed ya.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

hi Jason We missed ya.

Mike, I changed routers, I sent the Netgear back and went with the Asus RT-N66U. Anyway, I am having trouble getting IPv6 to work, I can get an IPv6 address using Comcast's 6to4, but every IPv6 test fails, any ideas? I tried HE's 6in4 too, same story. Thanks!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

When you are doing the tests, what errors pop up? »test-ipv6.com/ Is your computers recieving an IPv6 address from the router?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Your IPv4 address on the public Internet appears to be 67.180.42.98

Your IPv6 address on the public Internet appears to be 2001:0:4137:9e76:3492:635:bc4b:d59d
Your IPv6 service appears to be: Teredo

The World IPv6 Launch day is June 6th, 2012. Good news! Your current browser, on this computer and at this location, are expected to keep working after the Launch. [more info]

You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 Internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.

Your IPv6 connection appears to be using Teredo, a type of IPv4/IPv6 gateway; currently it connects only to direct IP's. Your browser will not be able to go to IPv6 sites by name. This means the current configuration is not useful for browsing IPv6 web sites. [more info]

Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 Internet access.
Your readiness scores
10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

That's what I'm getting.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

looks like its an issue with the router not being configured because I get the same results when the 6rd tunnel has the wrong numbers.

what operating system are you using because with a Vista machine I tested it says the browser perfers IPv4 over IPv6 whereas my 7 machines which run the same IE9 browser says the browser perfers IPv6 over IPv4.

Do your computers have an IPv6 address?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

looks like its an issue with the router not being configured because I get the same results when the 6rd tunnel has the wrong numbers.

what operating system are you using because with a Vista machine I tested it says the browser perfers IPv4 over IPv6 whereas my 7 machines which run the same IE9 browser says the browser perfers IPv6 over IPv4.

Do your computers have an IPv6 address?

I'm running Windows 7 SP 1 on this computer. According to ipconfig, this pc has a IPv6 address-

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Blade Runner>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4589:eeb8:8948:f6b2%13
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Click for full size
Click for full size
yes thats not getting an IP address though just the link local the router is giving out. Go to network connection status and tell me if you see ipv4 connectivity and ipv6 connectivity and its status then check the details button.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor

Premium Member

IPv4 shows as enabled, IPv6 is showing as not enabled. Thanks for the help by the way, I appreciate it!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

try tunnel 6RD. I noticed that its an option on your router.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

That didn't work either.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 edit

Mike Wolf

what i ment was reconfigure the router to use 6RD and the 6RD info supplied by HE. It's what I'm currently using without a problem. »www.tunnelbroker.net/for ··· c=1850.0

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

Click for full size
6rd doesn't have all those settings on mine, just to enable or disable the DHCP Option, a place for tunnel mtu and tunnel ttl, and ipv6 dns servers.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Click for full size
wierd because the service mockup shows theres options.
maybe try disabling the DHCP option?

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
Redwood Valley, CA
ARRIS SB6183
Netgear R7000

RR Conductor

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

wierd because the service mockup shows theres options.
maybe try disabling the DHCP option?

That was it, D'OH, I feel dumb!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

it happens to all of us sometimes lol so is it all working now?

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

6RD will not work unless your ISP has 6RD relays.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Really?, thats unusual because for example I use 6RD on Comcast with a hurricane electric tunnel and it works. Comcast turned off their own 6RD relays back in June.

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Really?, thats unusual because for example I use 6RD on Comcast with a hurricane electric tunnel and it works. Comcast turned off their own 6RD relays back in June.

Not sure how it's working. Maybe you'll want to run »test-ipv6.com/ again.

6RD encodes your public IPv4 address into a /32 subnet on IPv6. That won't work with static 6in4 tunnels as address blocks are already pre-defined for you.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

10/10 IPv4
10/10 IPv6
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
said by Mike Wolf:

What HE offers are called 6in4 tunnels.