join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

1 recommendation

[BW Meter] Feast or Famine!

I gotta kind of laugh at this. Yesterday my Zoom 5341J arrived and I called Comcast to get it swapped out from my SB6120 which was swapped out from a Cisco DPC3000 a month ago because I didn't care for the GUI. Any how, now I have 2 usage meters on my account, one with the new Zoom and the one with the SB6120. Looks like they failed to remove the 6120 from the account. The odd part is a lot of users here complain of the meter missing but I have 2 of them. I have never seen that before and I swapped out a few modems since the BW meter has been available .

Also thanks to telcodad for pointing me to the thread from meskinct about the hidden log page. Great find for meskinct.
The only slight disappointment with is we don't have 8 channels down yet. Other than that it's rock solid!

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:9

1 edit

said by jaynick:

The only slight disappointment with the Zoom 5314j is we don't have 8 channels down yet. Other than that it's rock solid!

Nothing to do with the modem. Be disappointed with Comcast instead. You'll be ready when and if they finally do provide more carriers !!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits

said by EG:

said by jaynick:

The only slight disappointment with the Zoom 5314j is we don't have 8 channels down yet. Other than that it's rock solid!

Nothing to do with the modem. Be disappointed with Comcast instead. You'll be ready when and if the finally do provide more carriers !!

Yes, that's what I referring to, great modem just not there from Comcast yet. I was just hoping to see more than 4 but no dice! I think it won't be long though as Roseville Mi. has 8 and we usually aren't far behind. I see I didn't word it properly.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to EG

Fixed it.

JPnATL

join:2011-11-16
Bethlehem, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jaynick

nothing funny about that at all it shows your usage this month even if u have 50 modems they will all remain on there until the next cycle so what is funny about that? Or did you thing you was going to get free usage when the meter started over because of the new modem? Doesn't work like that,until the end of this months cycle it will show your usage because you had usage on one modem now their will be no more showing on that one it will carry over to the zoom. I guess that was hilarious I am LMAO @this.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JPnATL:

nothing funny about that at all it shows your usage this month even if u have 50 modems they will all remain on there until the next cycle so what is funny about that? Or did you thing you was going to get free usage when the meter started over because of the new modem? Doesn't work like that,until the end of this months cycle it will show your usage because you had usage on one modem now their will be no more showing on that one it will carry over to the zoom. I guess that was hilarious I am LMAO @this.

That was the point! Lighten up! It was about the irony.

mike34
Premium
join:2004-07-17
Central City, PA
reply to jaynick

said by jaynick:

ILooks like they failed to remove the 6120 from the account. The funny part is a lot of users here complain of the meter missing but I have 2 of them. I have never seen that before and I swapped out a few modems since the BW meter has been available

Happened to me, too. The old modem will disappear at the end of the current month.

Mike Wolf

join:2009-05-24
Beachwood, NJ
kudos:3
reply to jaynick

Comcast states that when a new modem is entered into the account the data for the old modem is overwritten. I'm surprised this anomaly is occurring.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

Comcast states that when a new modem is entered into the account the data for the old modem is overwritten. I'm surprised this anomaly is occurring.

Yes, first time I have seen it and I have swapped out several modems. In my experience, the usage meter usually disappears for a day or so then when it shows back up it's with the new modem. I realize in their system I don't get a re-roll on total usage. Either the system is working as it is really supposed to or it's like you said, an anomaly.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

I once had my usage meter disappear from June 2011 until the first week of March 2012, only to reappear when I put a new modem on the account. I thought it was an issue with the website or account or something. Anyway I'm back to having it on the account and it is quite nice.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Mike Wolf:

I thought it was an issue with the website or account or something. Anyway I'm back to having it on the account and it is quite nice.

Forgive the pun but I think the account and the web site aren't always on the same page!

Bobsacto

join:2004-09-20
Sacramento, CA

I once did a modem swap lost the BW meter and it took about a month and many calls from Comcast to me to get it back. I just called in once put in a ticket and then would get messages left on the answering machine that the were working on it. They seemed to really want to fix it. I don't know how accurate the meter is I never been close to the 250gb mark. Have over 10 internet connected devices from TV's to Voip to printers(printing at my house from remote locations) that are constantly accessing the internet. Guess it is due to the fact I don't stream much HD quality material.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Bobsacto:

I don't know how accurate the meter is I never been close to the 250gb mark.

In my case, I find the meter pretty accurate as it's always within 1GB of the meter in my router.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JPnATL

said by JPnATL:

nothing funny about that at all it shows your usage this month even if u have 50 modems they will all remain on there .

Fixed it for ya.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to Bobsacto

damn I went to check my meter and it's gone. Last I saw it I had like 56GB left.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to jaynick

Love the Zoom 5341j so far(1 week). Rock solid and nary a hiccup.
I still have 2 devices with usage meters for both on the account though. Never had that before. I thought the SB6120 would have dropped off after the month changed.I suppose I need to give them another call as the CSR that provisioned the Zoom said he removed the mac of the 6120 but it didn't fly, it appears.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:5

said by jaynick:

I still have 2 devices with usage meters for both on the account though. Never had that before. I thought the SB6120 would have dropped off after the month changed.

Does the usage meter reset by the calendar month or the billing one?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by telcodad:

said by jaynick:

I still have 2 devices with usage meters for both on the account though. Never had that before. I thought the SB6120 would have dropped off after the month changed.

I would assume the calendar month as they both reset to 0 on the 1st of April.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

said by jaynick:

said by telcodad:

said by jaynick:

I would assume the calendar month as they both reset to 0 on the 1st of April.

Then, maybe the Moto SB6120 modem device will drop off after the end of your current billing period?

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI

I hope so because I want to pass it on to my BIL who has blast in a D3 area but is still using an ancient modem. The billing cycle occurs soon so hopefully that is the case or I will have to give Comcast another call.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

It's the former.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by EG:

said by telcodad:

It's the former.

Thanks for the confirmation.

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ
reply to telcodad

billing month according to Comcast's FAQ

netcool
Premium,VIP
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO
kudos:63

1 recommendation

said by Mike Wolf:

billing month according to Comcast's FAQ

That's incorrect, it's calendar month. And something to keep in mind is that the meter uses UTC.

From the FAQ:

Does the Data Usage Meter display usage for a calendar month or billing month?

The Data Usage Meter measures usage in Gigabytes (GB) over a calendar month. (Note that your monthly billing period may be different than the calendar month.)

Mike Wolf

Beachwood, NJ

that must have changed.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
Union, NJ

1 recommendation

AFAIK it's always been that way.

telcodad

Lincroft, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to netcool

FYI - Here is a page on the Comcast site I found about the meter: »networkmanagement.comcast.net/da···eter.htm

Also see:
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···a-usage/
and:
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···sive-use