Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to espaeth

Re: [Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its dat

said by espaeth:

said by telcodad:

Yes, but there are other differences with Business Class, like restricted choice of modem.

I'll bite: why would anyone care about this?

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

Yes, but there are other differences with Business Class, like restricted choice of modem.

Since the residential HSI would still be capped, I would expect that it would be somewhat less expensive for the same rate.

Two choices... static = SMC rental, dynamic = any residential supported modem. If you need static IPs you can probably justify the cost of the modem rental.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15

Looking under the "Business Speed Tiers," on the approved devices list (»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/), it looked like the only non-SMC modem listed was the Moto SB6120.

The (originally?) limited selection of modems was also discussed in this recent thread: »Customer-provided modems on Business Class

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN
reply to telcodad

I'm for throttling as long as they don't throttle too much. Maybe 1/4 of whatever speed tier you have.
--
»Music2pc-This program is AMAZING!

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

said by telcodad:

Some people's rational is - "there are only a relatively few Xbox VoD users, their streaming traffic won't impact the local HSI plant much," but who's to say that the app won't take off and use grow to a significant amount, or that some areas may have a high-density of Xbox 360 users?

Have you read the reviews? The Reader's Digest version: "It's all the things available on demand with the cable boxes, just with lower video quality." Awesome. Sounds exactly like the type of service that is going to catch on like wildfire.

Well, in this video demo of the app on the Light Reading Cable site today, Jeff Baumgartner says "the picture looks pretty good" to him.

Yes, it's not STB quality, but it will do for the kid's room, where they can use this instead of paying to lease another cable box and another "outlet fee."

Xfinity TV Meets the Xbox 360
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 2, 2012
Comcast's authenticated TV Everywhere recently debuted on Microsoft's IP-connected game console. Here's a brief look at the app in action
»www.lightreading.com/blog.asp?bl···r_cable&

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

OK, I think everyone has had a chance to vote on this now, so I have closed the poll.

It's not a surprise that the "totally remove it" choice got the most votes, yet that was only 21% of all votes cast.

Just "leaving the cap as it currently is" choice got only 7%, so it's clear that most voters would like to see it changed in some way.

The 3 choices that involved allowing it to be raised in some way received a total of 45% of the vote, and if you add to that the "totally remove it" vote, then it says 2/3 of the votes were for the cap to either be raised or removed.

I think at the least, the cap should be given a "Cost of Cyber-Living" increase of some amount, as since it was set at 250GB, there has been a large increase in the use of devices and apps that use a larger amount of data over a month's time.

I still like the idea of having the cap vary by speed tier myself, with the problem of just figuring out what to set it to for the lowest tier (Economy= 100GB?) and the highest one (Extreme 105 = 1TB?).

NickD
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Princeton Junction, NJ
reply to telcodad

There are plenty of people who use 500+ GB per month and don't even get a call. If you're torrenting in the overnight hours and use up a terabyte in a month, but barely use your connection during the day, that wouldn't hurt you.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

It's not a surprise that the "totally remove it" choice got the most votes, yet that was only 21% of all votes cast.

Only 21% should switch to business class
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to telcodad

said by telcodad:

said by espaeth:

said by telcodad:

Some people's rational is - "there are only a relatively few Xbox VoD users, their streaming traffic won't impact the local HSI plant much," but who's to say that the app won't take off and use grow to a significant amount, or that some areas may have a high-density of Xbox 360 users?

Have you read the reviews? The Reader's Digest version: "It's all the things available on demand with the cable boxes, just with lower video quality." Awesome. Sounds exactly like the type of service that is going to catch on like wildfire.

Well, in this video demo of the app on the Light Reading Cable site today, Jeff Baumgartner says "the picture looks pretty good" to him.

Yes, it's not STB quality, but it will do for the kid's room, where they can use this instead of paying to lease another cable box and another "outlet fee."

Xfinity TV Meets the Xbox 360
By Jeff Baumgartner, Light Reading Cable - April 2, 2012
Comcast's authenticated TV Everywhere recently debuted on Microsoft's IP-connected game console. Here's a brief look at the app in action
»www.lightreading.com/blog.asp?bl···r_cable&

This excerpt from an article on the Planet Insane site also indicates that the "take-off" could be starting:

Planet Insane - Mar 30, 2012
»www.planetinsane.com/comcast-xfi···2629861/

"Microsoft also revealed that with the addition of the new apps for the Xbox 360 last December, Xbox Live usage has reportedly increased by 30 percent compared to the previous year. On the other hand, the use of entertainment apps also increased by over two-fold during the same period. An average of 84 hours each month is spent by US gold members on Xbox Live according to Microsoft.

Along with the increasing number of entertainment apps, [entertainment app] usage has reportedly overtaken usage for multiplayer games, which indicates that Xbox Live was being used in watching movies and TV shows. This shows that users are turning to Xbox Live for entertainment rather than simply playing games.

Additional apps will reportedly be added by Microsoft into Xbox Live within the year."

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ

1 edit
reply to telcodad

OK, since it looks like we are done beating the topic of Data Caps to death once again, I will request the moderator now lock this thread.

You can see a listing of all the previous Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management topic threads (and now this one) in the first post of this thread: »The Bandwidth Limits/Congestion Management Topic