spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Ashley_J
join:2012-03-22

1 recommendation

Ashley_J

[Soccer] UEFA Euro 2012

UEFA Euro 2012. Will you follow? What is your favourite team?

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

The Red Devils. but...

seginus
join:2008-01-30
Wendell, NC

seginus to Ashley_J

to Ashley_J
England but I know I will be disappointed. Well, if I am expecting a poor outing I suppose I cannot be disappointed. Here's hoping Psycho can pull something out of those muppets.

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

said by seginus:

England but I know I will be disappointed. Well, if I am expecting a poor outing I suppose I cannot be disappointed. Here's hoping Psycho can pull something out of those muppets.

They will be playing without Mickey Rooney for 3 games. If I'm not mistaken he's been suspended.

bruin23
Premium Member
join:2004-06-17
San Francisco, CA

bruin23 to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
I'll be rooting for my home country of Ukraine, although I don't see them going too far if they are lucky enough to get out of the group stages.

alamarco
Premium Member
join:2003-06-18
Windsor, ON

alamarco to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
My parents were both born in Italy so I always am rooting for Italy, but I also am a Netherlands fan. Ever since a kid I've absolutely loved the way they play as they always love the free flowing attacking style.

I'm also a huge Sneijder fan, especially after he gave my boys at Internazionale a triple crown a few years ago. Hopefully Italy meets Netherlands in the final. :P

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

Soho97UK to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
I won't be following England, even when they have a good team individually they always manage to underperform - it's painful to watch. Having said that very strange things can happen e.g. Greece winning Euro 2004.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
While I'm not a huge soccer fan (or football, like it should be called here in North America), I always follow the World Cup & Euro Cup.

Interesting split venue for the Euro 2012, former eastern bloc countries of Poland & Ukraine. I hope it brings a lot of revenue to those countries.

bruin23
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

bruin23 to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Did anyone watch the games? I thought that Russia was by far the strongest in Group A, it's gonna be a fight between the other 3 teams for second place. Tomorrow is gonna be great with both games in the group of death.

Soho97UK
Premium Member
join:2004-08-18
UK

Soho97UK

Premium Member

Saw both games and as you say Russia look the best in Group A. Decent number of goals in the matches, let's hope future games are as entertaining.

RockCake
Premium Member
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit

RockCake to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Denmark beats Netherlands 1-0. Don't know if that's considered an upset or not? All I remember Netherlands were the recent World Cup runners-up.
Germany/Portugal tied so far 0-0 in 60th minute...
[edit] Germany win 1-0.

bruin23
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

bruin23 to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
What a win by Ukraine! I had to take a final so I missed most of the match but I am beyond elated right now!

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
6 minutes in and Czech Republic is already up 2-0 over Greece.

bruin23
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

bruin23 to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Disappointing tie by Russia, they were outplayed by Poland in the second half. Since the winner of group A plays the runner-up of group B (group of death) and vice versa, I have a feeling that the 2 teams that make it out of group A won't get past the quarterfinals.

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
They did it because they had some success with FIFA 2002 in Japan and Korea..
Jrb2
Premium Member
join:2001-08-31

Jrb2 to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Germany beats Holland : 2-1
Congrats to the Germans; they deserved to win the game!

»www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/fo ··· 18139274

My goodness, Oranje is hardly playing as a team; too many players not being in the best condition (shape; how do you call that in English?); a coach who is holding for too long on his favourite players (huge discussion about that in Holland); and the list goes on....

Denmark - Portugal : 2-3

So now Holland has to beat Portugal with at least 2-0 (which I don't see happening....) and even then they depend on the result of Denmark-Germany.

rfhar
The World Sport, Played In Every Country
Premium Member
join:2001-03-26
Buicktown,Mi

rfhar

Premium Member

Yes they were good games. AS good as they earlier Brazil-Argentina game.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Spain and Germany are looking pretty good. When the shitty teams are out it'll be really fun to watch. Espn3 is running on my PC every morning.

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Republic of Ireland is a really, really, poor team. They are the riff, raff of the tournament. They look like chickens with their heads cut off running around out there. Sure, they qualified but, the quality of the Euro, is why I watch it. It will be even worse when they increase the number of teams, for the next Euro, to 24 teams and increase the number of poor teams.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Ukraine/France suspended due to lightning.
storm looked pretty intense, fans don't seem to mind though!

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

Da Geek Kid to Ashley_J

to Ashley_J
Spain, to the defend the title...

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol

Premium Member

It looks like Spain has some tough competition from France, Germany and England(Havent seen their game yet). That wasn't the case in world cup.

RockCake
Premium Member
Woodbridge, VA

RockCake to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Pretty sweet goal by England there, couldn't place it much better than that.
RockCake

1 edit

RockCake to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
Wow, Karagounis (Greece) gets tripped in the box, but gets carded for diving.
Greece still clinging to 1-0 lead...
[edit]
and Greece holds on, advances to the quarterfinals with the Czechs. After a dominating opening win, Russia is out.

bruin23
Premium Member
San Francisco, CA

bruin23

Premium Member

Crazy that Russia is out. They choked, plain and simple. They were by far the most talented team in Group A.

I'd say that both teams that get out of group B have an easy track to the semis, but these tournaments are so unpredictable that you never know.

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq

Premium Member

Russia was the "most talented team" on basis of their one game against Czechoslovakia, which they dominated. Things went quickly downhill after that. Against Greece they showed no character. Instead of battling in the face of adversity, like England, they lay down and quit. They deserve to be out.

Fobulous
Premium Member
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Fobulous

Premium Member

Czechoslovakia???? where have you been all these years!??!?!
Fobulous

Fobulous to Ashley_J

Premium Member

to Ashley_J
I am glad Russia is out, their fans are by far the worst in the tournament. I won't be surprised if they find out that the Russian FA soccer matches are rigged and controlled by the mafia just like Italia's Series A.

capdjq
Premium Member
Vancouver

capdjq to Fobulous

Premium Member

to Fobulous
said by Fobulous:

Czechoslovakia???? where have you been all these years!??!?!

Sorry Czech Republic.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium Member
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY

chlen to capdjq

Premium Member

to capdjq
said by capdjq:

Russia was the "most talented team" on basis of their one game against Czechoslovakia, which they dominated. Things went quickly downhill after that. Against Greece they showed no character. Instead of battling in the face of adversity, like England, they lay down and quit. They deserve to be out.

As far as individual talent, they are one of the most talented in the tournament with the exception of perhaps Spain of England. They have not historically played very well with each other. The Russian premier league is very strong withing the 4 team (Rubin, CSKA, Zenit and Dynamo) and there are very big hatreds there.

The English have had similar problems stemming from their inter-league play. However the EPL unlike the RPL allows more foreign players and so the teams especially Man City and Chelsea are very diverse so they have gotten better.

Russia is a solid team, but the really great players are too worried about getting hurt and not collecting their multi-million dollar checks.

Oh, well... I would love to see the English actually put something together. Ukraine would be a nice surprise, they play their hears out.
FWIW Russia completely dominated the Greek in every way but the one that counts.