reply to Ashley_J

Re: [Soccer] UEFA Euro 2012

Spain, to the defend the title...

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4

It looks like Spain has some tough competition from France, Germany and England(Havent seen their game yet). That wasn't the case in world cup.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA
reply to Ashley_J

Pretty sweet goal by England there, couldn't place it much better than that.

RockCake
Premium
join:2005-07-12
Woodbridge, VA

1 edit
reply to Ashley_J

Wow, Karagounis (Greece) gets tripped in the box, but gets carded for diving.
Greece still clinging to 1-0 lead...
[edit]
and Greece holds on, advances to the quarterfinals with the Czechs. After a dominating opening win, Russia is out.

bruin23
Premium
join:2004-06-17
San Francisco, CA

Crazy that Russia is out. They choked, plain and simple. They were by far the most talented team in Group A.

I'd say that both teams that get out of group B have an easy track to the semis, but these tournaments are so unpredictable that you never know.

capdjq
Premium
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

Russia was the "most talented team" on basis of their one game against Czechoslovakia, which they dominated. Things went quickly downhill after that. Against Greece they showed no character. Instead of battling in the face of adversity, like England, they lay down and quit. They deserve to be out.

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX

Czechoslovakia???? where have you been all these years!??!?!
--

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to Ashley_J

I am glad Russia is out, their fans are by far the worst in the tournament. I won't be surprised if they find out that the Russian FA soccer matches are rigged and controlled by the mafia just like Italia's Series A.
--

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver
reply to Fobulous

said by Fobulous:

Czechoslovakia???? where have you been all these years!??!?!

Sorry Czech Republic.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
join:2001-01-16
Saratoga, NY
reply to capdjq

said by capdjq:

Russia was the "most talented team" on basis of their one game against Czechoslovakia, which they dominated. Things went quickly downhill after that. Against Greece they showed no character. Instead of battling in the face of adversity, like England, they lay down and quit. They deserve to be out.

As far as individual talent, they are one of the most talented in the tournament with the exception of perhaps Spain of England. They have not historically played very well with each other. The Russian premier league is very strong withing the 4 team (Rubin, CSKA, Zenit and Dynamo) and there are very big hatreds there.

The English have had similar problems stemming from their inter-league play. However the EPL unlike the RPL allows more foreign players and so the teams especially Man City and Chelsea are very diverse so they have gotten better.

Russia is a solid team, but the really great players are too worried about getting hurt and not collecting their multi-million dollar checks.

Oh, well... I would love to see the English actually put something together. Ukraine would be a nice surprise, they play their hears out.
FWIW Russia completely dominated the Greek in every way but the one that counts.

--
This is not the greatest post in the world, no, this is just a tribute!

-

Soho97UK
Premium
join:2004-08-18
UK
kudos:1

said by chlen:

Oh, well... I would love to see the English actually put something together. Ukraine would be a nice surprise, they play their hears out.

Don't put any faith in England, they practically always do things the hard way and play badly. Add to that the preferred team has been hit by injuries.

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by Soho97UK:

said by chlen:

Don't put any faith in England, they practically always do things the hard way and play badly. Add to that the preferred team has been hit by injuries.

Yeah... I know, I can dream, cant I?
--

-

capdjq
Premium
Vancouver

Who ends up with egg on their face is the Gods at FIFA and Michel Platini, in particular. Why not use todays technology, at least for goals, and eliminate these problems.

Having said all that England looked terrible yesterday in finishing at the top of their Group. But they still won. Winning ugly counts. How far they go I cannot say but they most definitely cannot beat Spain and Germany, who also have not looked impressive thus far.

The English Premier League looks great because 75-80% of the players are foreigners and they make the English Players look good. By themselves yesterday is what you get.

Soccer is a game that 16 teams play and the Germans end up winning.
--
''Life should not be judged by the amount of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.''

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by capdjq:

Who ends up with egg on their face is the Gods at FIFA and Michel Platini, in particular. Why not use todays technology, at least for goals, and eliminate these problems.

Having said all that England looked terrible yesterday in finishing at the top of their Group. But they still won. Winning ugly counts. How far they go I cannot say but they most definitely cannot beat Spain and Germany, who also have not looked impressive thus far.

The English Premier League looks great because 75-80% of the players are foreigners and they make the English Players look good. By themselves yesterday is what you get.

Soccer is a game that 16 teams play and the Germans end up winning.

I am glad England won, but the circumstances were shit. Obvious equalizer by Ukraine and we can all see it on the screen, all the people in the stadium can see it on the big screen... only refs are powerless to do squat.
--

-

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

The more it happens, they'll eventually be forced to do a video replay.

Didn't something like this happen at the last World Cup or previous Euro? I remember a ball hitting the top crossbar, bouncing inside the net a good foot behind the goal line then the spin bounced it out.

That was not ruled a goal either.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1

Now they have additional refs for goals. No need to bring a tech into an old game. It's like putting a replay in NBA, just ludicrous. every 30 sec wait for a 5 min review...

chlen
Ethically Challenged
Premium
Saratoga, NY

said by Da Geek Kid:

Now they have additional refs for goals. No need to bring a tech into an old game. It's like putting a replay in NBA, just ludicrous. every 30 sec wait for a 5 min review...

not the same, goalline technology is there, FIBA will start using it.

in soccer you only have a few goal every game and they matter a lot more than 2 pts in NBA, but I like the last 2 min you can review in NBA, even if they have not perfected it.
--

-

DanHo
Premium
join:2002-05-20
Seattle, WA
reply to Da Geek Kid

said by Da Geek Kid:

And it was the additional goaline ref that missed the goal in the England/Ukraine game yesterday. Obviously that's not the solution either.