Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
kudos:1

[Cataclysm] Coming Back

So yeah, we took the scrolls and we're playing around and having fun. I checked thru the forums for some topics and didn't see any right away so figured I'd just ask... (mind you, we haven't played ANY of cata till the scroll)

What addons do you guys use now? I know blizzard has a lot built in now but I'm sure there are some addons that are still helpful.

What sites do you use to check to see where some upgrades in normal/heroic 5 mans would be?

What sites do you use for talent/spec checkups?

Where do you go to read up on boss fights?

Same for professions, any site good for keeping those up to date and see what is most profitable?

Thanks for any suggestions.
--
»Re: [game] Crazy Game - The Resurrection - Day 2
Corrupt Politician - tmodelt
You may privately message the rest of the mafia: ekster, Rook008 & Kristopher. You win with the mafia.

Osirusdatank

join:2011-04-25
St John'S, NL
Add-ons: Curse.com and then select whatever addon you are looking for. I use DBM and GTFO, also EasyRaidIcon, Tauntmaster (when on my tank), Healbot (when on my healer), Questhubber, NPCscan, and OverAchiever.

Dungeon Upgrades: usually Wowhead. Goto the dungeon in question and check it's loot page, making note of the items you need and what bosses they drop from.

Talent / Spec Checking: MrRobot

Boss Fights: Just google a specific fight and you'll find tons of resources.

Professions: wow-professions.com

General suggestions: Mostly everyone is sitting in home cities and using Dungeon or Raid Finder for progression. So you'll notice there are fewer players in world areas, but the new Cata zones are cool, and you'll want to quest in those so that you can see those places. Progression wise I suggest you use Dungeon Finder to up your iLevel until you can use Looking For Raid.

Ginjer
Premium
join:2009-08-14
Honolulu, HI
reply to Antonica
Had a blast playing with you and Archi last night. It felt good to play with people from the site. I tell you what though, it is going to take some getting use to.

If you get Atlas Loot you can see what every Heroic/Normal/Raid, etc. has.

»www.wowpopular.com/Talents seems to have quite a few different talent specs, but I am sure there are specific sites based on class.

I think askmrrobot.com is still decent for maximizing your character based on spec/race/etc.

Boss fights, I am lost as well. However, I think Blizz implemented something that shows you what each boss does. Could be wrong though.
--
Voudoo (85 Worgen Druid), Ginjer (85 Orc Hunter), Pouncey (85 Human Warrior), Gadeon (85 Human Death Knight), Shocktrio (85 Blue Man Shaman), Dalitrauma (80 Human Warlock), Gaedion (80 Human Pally), Taeble (85 Worgen Mage), Hellscream / Alliance

Antonica
Premium
join:2002-09-02
reply to Osirusdatank
Thanks. Is the curse client a good thing to use? I remember there being issues with viruses on Curse just before we quit.

I'm not into min/maxing and won't be getting to that point, but it doesn't hurt to know what instances may have something if I'm bored and wanna run something.

I love to quest so I'll do every quest out there just for the gold

@Ginjer - Yeah it's fun just BS'ing with people on skype and doing some quests/dungeons etc. Even if we aren't in the same group we just get on and talk about crap. Lots of laughs.
--
»Re: [game] Crazy Game - The Resurrection - Day 2
Corrupt Politician - tmodelt
You may privately message the rest of the mafia: ekster, Rook008 & Kristopher. You win with the mafia.

Ginjer
Premium
Honolulu, HI
Well, I make sure to run two virus protectors. I have Curse currently, and haven't had any issues, though I am sure there are some addons that cause issues.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
reply to Antonica
curse client is fine, the dungeon journal will give you a quick overview of what boss mechanics are so use it if you want.

noxxic.com i found to be better for specs

wowreforge.com i like more than askmrrobot, get a reforge addon, like reforginator or something
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
I've lost the bleeps, I've lost the creeps and I've lost the sweeps.

Ginjer
Premium
Honolulu, HI
Noxxic seems good too. But I had a lot of contradictory in game advice on reforging my hunter. Not sure who is right, the hunter's in game, or Noxxic. But, he gives rotations and all that jazz too. All-in-One shop if you ask me.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
join:2009-05-14
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to Antonica
The virus's from curse were from bad ad's, make sure you're updated flash and you should be fine. If you have an authenticator, that will cover you in case you do catch something...

DBM is helpful given whatever you are doing, as is GTFO.

Enchanting is probably the most profitable. Herbalism is next probably, depending on the economy of your server, look and see how much herbs, ore, gems, leather, etc is going for.

If you get into raiding again, the same raid frames are out there, grid, vuhdo, cough xperl cough. For party frames I use Shadowed Unit Frames, imo way better than xperl.

I wouldn't worry about getting a quest mod, they all flow very well together.
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Antonica
So if you open you're map while in a dungeon/raid (i know, its hard to imagine a map of the instance, but trust me) it will show you bosses... click on the bosses and it will give a rundown of all abilities/adds/adds abilities with linkable spells so you can explain with visual aids to your raiders/group members that are unfamiliar with the encounters.

Best part... its now part of the stock Blizzard UI. (insert bajheera pvp quote here)
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

Taino

join:2010-10-15
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Antonica
What addons do you guys use now? I know blizzard has a lot built in now but I'm sure there are some addons that are still helpful.

I use Weakauras, pitbull4, dominos, Aura Frames and Sexymap for my ui overhaul. I also like gathermate2 for my gathering toons.

What sites do you use to check to see where some upgrades in normal/heroic 5 mans would be?
Honestly I just use Atlas Loot and look at the boss loot tables.

What sites do you use for talent/spec checkups?
Depends on the class. For my paladin my goto site is Maintankadin (I play prot) and for my other dps toons I check Elitest Jerks, as well as class specific sites like the warlocks den.

Where do you go to read up on boss fights?
MMO Champ usually has good write ups, but I am more visual so I go to youtube and watch the Fatboss Raid guides.

Same for professions, any site good for keeping those up to date and see what is most profitable?
Don't know. I just use auctioneer and scan :/

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Antonica
Thanks for the info, guys. I'll look into the curse client.

drew
Radiant
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6
reply to Antonica
Addons
•DBM is still the gold standard.
•The built-in Blizzard Raid Frames are very good. Very customizable (Interface > Raid Frames), even to the point of having different set-ups per spec or what kind of content.
•Bagnon - The "find items in your bags" thing was put into the game, but I prefer the all-in-one with gear type highlighting.
•OmniCC - This mod puts numbers on your action bar abilities showing the CD remaining. Much easier, at a glance, to see than the slow clock-like circular wipe.
•TidyPlates - Must have for tank classes or DPS who can't control aggro. Very customizable.
•Reforgenator - This tool will tell you how to reforge items to reach pre-defined caps and then work towards stat priority. There's another one out there that is one-click, but I prefer this one.
Item Upgrade Check
•The Armory is okay.
•It's still vastly more important to learn how to filter using Wowhead.

Talent Info
•»www.icy-veins.com has FANTASTIC information for all classes.
•Say no to Noxxic.
•EJ has a lot of good information still, however some classes are significantly better represented there than others.

Boss Info
•»www.icy-veins.com has FANTASTIC information for all classes bosses.
•Learn2Raid.com is another good site with videos.
•The in-game dungeon journal is pretty good, however it's harder to take text and visualize it. It's a GREAT refresher or clarification tool after you've read about or watched a video on the boss. Shift+J will bring it up.

Professions
•Just go to wowpedia.org and look up profession leveling guides. Done.
•If you're looking to make money, check out the "Cataclysm Ore Shuffle" Requires you have a JC and Enchanter.
--
flickr | Of faith, power and glory

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Archivis
said by Archivis:

The Curse client is wonderful.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
I Google'd "Cataclysm Ore Shuffle". I don't fully understand on what is going on here.

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
reply to drew
icy-veins is awesome, very much agreed.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Archivis
»[Money] Cataclysm Shuffle

ALSO

If you or Antonica is running 64-bit Vista or 7, regardless of whether or not you have greater than 4GB of RAM, please go download the 64-bit client. I can swap between characters in like 5 seconds rather than sitting at the loading screen boss.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to drew
said by drew:

said by Archivis:

The Curse client is wonderful.

there is no need to keep the curse client running while you are in-game. So what I do before I play is boot the comp and allow the client time to check for upgrades to my addons. Once I'm sure all of my addons are up to date, I exit the curse client and start up WoW.

Addons I use: Bartender, Power Auras Classic, Clique, Bagnon, SexyMap, DBM, Quartz, Elkano's Buff Bar, and GatherMate.
--
Immergruen (resto/kitty) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

than/then | to/two/too | A lot (notice the space in there) | you/your/you're

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to drew
We have solid state drives. Neither of us notice loading screens.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
said by Archivis:

We have solid state drives. Neither of us notice loading screens.

/envy

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Archivis
It will be even faster.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
It's less than one second man.

saillaw
Premium
join:2007-05-08
Dismay
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to drew
said by drew:

Addons
•DBM is still the gold standard.
•The built-in Blizzard Raid Frames are very good. Very customizable (Interface > Raid Frames), even to the point of having different set-ups per spec or what kind of content.
•Bagnon - The "find items in your bags" thing was put into the game, but I prefer the all-in-one with gear type highlighting.
•OmniCC - This mod puts numbers on your action bar abilities showing the CD remaining. Much easier, at a glance, to see than the slow clock-like circular wipe.
•TidyPlates - Must have for tank classes or DPS who can't control aggro. Very customizable.
•Reforgenator - This tool will tell you how to reforge items to reach pre-defined caps and then work towards stat priority. There's another one out there that is one-click, but I prefer this one.

I use all those too.
Reforgenator is fantastic, has saved me hours of pencil paper math that I used to have to do to figure out how to min/max my reforging.
I also would add GTFO which I think should be mandatory for any raid member. It plays an alarm whenever you are standing in harmful stuff.
I also like crapaway which auto sells all the grey items from your bags whenever you open a window with a merchant NPC.
I also have Postal, it allows you to check all your mail with the click of one button. This is great if you have a ton of stuff from auctions you posted.
For the auction house I use Auctionator which is great. If you use the buy and sell tabs on it, it makes your life so much easier.
I use decursive for any class than can decurse.
I use vuhdoo for any class that can heal.
I also like carbonite when I am questing. Yes I know they have improved the stock questing tools, but I love how carbonite puts a "Hud" type arrow pointing to whatever objective I am trying to find, along with a count down for distance. I also like how on the list of quests that you can keep open it gives you a little clickable icon for any quest specific usable items, so you don't have to search through your bags to find that potion you need to use on the quest mob.
Another one I love is NPC scan it runs in the background and if you get near to a rare elite it will sound an alarm, put a raid marker on the rare, and gives you a little clickable image of the mob so you can select it and see where it is on your minimap. Also if you have carbonite it puts colored highlighted areas on the maps where the various NPC's roam. Very useful if you are hunting for a specific rare mob.
And finally I recommend pratt for your chat window. It has the ability to click and copy so when you join that random group and need to copy their vent info, you can just select and copy. Also great for capturing funny conversation and positing in /gchat.

If you pvp at all, I also recommend getting:

Healers have to die (identifies the other teams healer and puts a big red cross over their head)
Battle Ground Targets (puts a customizable set of bars with the name, class, spec, and current health of the other team. You can even see this before the battle starts. A must have for rated BG's and nice even in random BG's).
GladiatorLOS (lets you know what major CD's spells, etc are being cast. I disable this for most BG's and only use it in arena and rated BG's because otherwise there is just too much information).
--
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
Good points on a lot of those mods...

-GTFO is okay... but really, I don't like crutch mods like this. If you've got a team player who has a huge problem with standing in things, maybe lovingly suggest this to them.
-Crapaway -There's about a thousand ways to skin this cat. Personally, I just have a macro so that I don't have to worry about logging in with it disabled/etc.
-Mail addon - I can't believe I forgot this. Go with Postal IMO.
-Decursive - personal preference, I prefer to use the standard UI rather than have double-duty.
-VuhDo - I won't go there. USE KEYBINDS AND MOUSEOVER MACROS Whoops, sorry.
- NPC Scan - if you care about this, not a bad idea.
- Carbonite - this mod has outgrown itself. It takes a hold of too much of your UI for my liking.
--

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
reply to Antonica
So how long until we see Arch's DK threads popping up here?

Treebark
Premium
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC
reply to drew
I still don't see the Vuhdo hate Drew, You can still use Keybinds and Mouseover Macros with Vuhdo.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Treebark:

I still don't see the Vuhdo hate Drew, You can still use Keybinds and Mouseover Macros with Vuhdo.

he hates what it does to players when the addon breaks after a patch. with keybinds and mouseover macros, they don't break unless blizz changes syntax drastically.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to bTU
said by bTU:

So how long until we see Arch's DK threads popping up here?

I was told that 17k DPS on a stand-still non-gimmick boss was pretty good for being level 83 on my DK.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

JB
Stay Gold
Premium
reply to Immer
Well, I've only had minor bugs after patches with Vuhdo, always remains 100% usable.
--
Here's the final bullet,
to put our love to death.

drew
Radiant
Premium
Port Orchard, WA
reply to Immer
Also, I don't like the addon's bloat.

There are a bunch of reasons, but let's just leave it at the fact that I think it's completely unnecessary. YMMV.
--

Ginjer
Premium
Honolulu, HI
reply to Archivis
You would have done a ton more in H SFK had you not died on that last fight. The healer was doing something wrong.