MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

[Embarq] Getting fastpath turned on.

So here is the process of getting fastpath enable. (Lower latency on a line with good stats.)

First Call, T1 check with T2 and transferred me to a who said 150 (total) latency is fine (70ms to first hop), and has never heard of this setting in his 2 years of working there.

Second call, T1 checked T2 and came back and asked why I was looking to change it as it was something they only change on 5meg or faster lines because "They wont train right otherwise", after saying that seems odd (to say the least) and a 3meg should still be capable she put me back on hold and came back telling me it was changed.

Went from 70ms first hop to 20ms first hop, still not as good as I have seen on other providers but a lot better then it was.

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell

said by Napsterbater:

First Call, T1 check with T2 and transferred me to a who said 150 (total) latency is fine (70ms to first hop), and has never heard of this setting in his 2 years of working there.

LOL! These people are so misinformed it's not even funny. 150ms of latency is like going more than half way around the world.
said by Napsterbater:

Second call, T1 checked T2 and came back and asked why I was looking to change it as it was something they only change on 5meg or faster lines because "They wont train right otherwise", after saying that seems odd (to say the least) and a 3meg should still be capable she put me back on hold and came back telling me it was changed.

Went from 70ms first hop to 20ms first hop, still not as good as I have seen on other providers but a lot better then it was.

LOL! What does, "wont train right" even mean???

The only thing interleaving does is add error correction if you have a marginal loop.

new2centlink
@qwest.net

new2centlink

Anon

I am interested in doing this too.. I am not sure what kind of signals are good though
Downstream Rate:
40127Kbps
Upstream Rate:
5120Kbps

Line Mode Selected:	VDSL2-8A

Levels     Downstream    Upstream
SNR:	12 dB  14 dB
Attenuation:	16  dB  3 dB
Power:	17 dBm  6.1 dBm

I am getting the full 40/5 Mbps with no retrains or issues right now. How do these stats look? Should I start the process of bugging CL to get fastpath turned on or are my signals not good enough?
ydoucare
join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN

ydoucare to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
I had "fastpath" for over 3 years @ 18 - 20 ms first hop. They recently fixed an issue, and my first hop ping went up to 35 - 37. I ask them to enable fastpath and they say it already is and they don't know why it's different. 35 ms? Really? Been 18 for 3 years. This company has no clue what they are doing, from the TOP to the BOTTOM.
dprus
join:2010-01-15
North Bend, WA

dprus to new2centlink

to new2centlink
said by new2centlink :

I am interested in doing this too.. I am not sure what kind of signals are good though

Downstream Rate:
40127Kbps
Upstream Rate:
5120Kbps

I am getting the full 40/5 Mbps with no retrains or issues right now. How do these stats look? Should I start the process of bugging CL to get fastpath turned on or are my signals not good enough?

If you have 40mbit service then you're on VDSL2. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as "fast path" for VDSL2. However, VDSL2 does seem to have a better default configuration than what CenturyLink uses for ADSL. You should still be less than ~25ms to your first hop.

I'm on VDSL2 with CenturyLink and also have the 40/5 service. Here's my ping to my first hop:

C:\>ping 63.231.10.246

Pinging 63.231.10.246 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 63.231.10.246: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 63.231.10.246:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 21ms, Average = 21ms

Napsterbater
Meh
MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Napsterbater

MVM

said by dprus:

said by new2centlink :

Downstream Rate:
40127Kbps
Upstream Rate:
5120Kbps

If you have 40mbit service then you're on VDSL2. I'm pretty sure there is no such thing as "fast path" for VDSL2. However, VDSL2 does seem to have a better default configuration than what CenturyLink uses for ADSL. You should still be less than ~25ms to your first hop.

ADSL2 and VDSL2 have a "Queue Depth" setting, getting that set to 0 equals ADSL's "Fastpath" setting, although it will still show interleave.

Easy way to test is run a tracert and look at the first ISP hop (normally the second) if its 20ms +/- a few then your probably set to 0.
CenturyLink
join:2009-03-09
Boise, ID

CenturyLink to new2centlink

to new2centlink
Hi,

We will help with your DSL service questions if you send us your account & contact information to us talktous@centurylinl.com

Thanks,

Corey Tidwell
Centurylink Help Team
TechWhiz
join:2004-10-30
Phoenix, AZ

TechWhiz

He means: talktous@centurylink.com

And, yes, contacting them might be a good idea for getting fastpath turned on.

mooch
No Booing Allowed
join:2001-11-11
Sunbury, OH

mooch

IF fast path CAN be turned on... would it help with my erratic evening crawl speeds? Last night my 6 meg connection was clocked at a blazing 0.13 Mbps.

xsbell
Canada

xsbell

said by mooch:

IF fast path CAN be turned on... would it help with my erratic evening crawl speeds? Last night my 6 meg connection was clocked at a blazing 0.13 Mbps.

No.

GuyK
@embarqhsd.net

GuyK to Napsterbater

Anon

to Napsterbater
Hi All,

I signed up for CenturyLink about a year ago and it was, initially, a dream come true. OnLive, the cloud gaming service, looked local and my pingtests were amazing with pings as little as 20-30 and jitter at around 1 (pingtest.net).

Over the past month or so, however, everything has gone down the tubes. My speed remains the same (10mbps down) but I know have high pings (120-140) and jitter as high as 12-14, resulting in a grade of "C" at pingtest.net and making OnLive unusable.

Is there anything that can be done? I'd rather not switch to Cox Cable here in Las Vegas but if this can't be dealt with, I'm going to have to consider doing business with the dreaded cable company.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

P.S. I have sent an email to talktous@centurylink.com tonight. Hopefully, that still means something. Love the sound of "fastpath!"

bandit8623
join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

bandit8623 to xsbell

to xsbell
actually back when i had interleave on, my speeds were bad. when i got fastpath turned on i saw inproved speed and reliability.

sometimes fastpath can help. not always

xsbell
Canada

xsbell to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
said by Napsterbater:

ADSL2 and VDSL2 have a "Queue Depth" setting, getting that set to 0 equals ADSL's "Fastpath" setting, although it will still show interleave.

Easy way to test is run a tracert and look at the first ISP hop (normally the second) if its 20ms +/- a few then your probably set to 0.

Sometimes it's also called a "downstream/upstream delay", and should always be ~0ms. ~7ms or higher is basically interleave.

20ms? hehe I guess I'm lucky because even though I aggregated through an ILEC's BAS before I get terminated to my provider, I get 9-11ms to the public internet. (Google, my VOIP provider) Locally to the BAS it's always 6-7ms.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.
join:2006-07-23

Fox McCloud to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
Something has definitely happened on my end, as well--my latency, which was always a solid 22ms to Google is now a whopping 46ms.

Wherever I go, my ms has increased by about 20ms--my favorite gaming servers, etc.

GuyK
@embarqhsd.net

GuyK

Anon

Well, I'm still waiting for someone at CenturyLink to contact me. The following is one of the better results I now get during peak hours of usage...

Las Vegas, NV to San Francisco, CA

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.
join:2006-07-23

Fox McCloud to Napsterbater

to Napsterbater
e-mailed Centurylink about this and still haven't heard back from them. =/