how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

biggbrother
Premium
join:2001-11-07
Providence, RI

25/15 MBPS Service Pointless if Using Wireless Devices?

I have the 25/15 MBPS FIOS internet service using the provided Verizon router and I have noticed that I barely break 20 MBPS when using wireless. During evening hours, I will sometimes be between 10-15 MBPS. With the exception of my Xbox 360, I connect to the Verizon router via WiFi with all my devices.

When using my Sony Blu-Ray player to stream Netflix via WiFi, it will usually not break 18 mbps which seems sufficient, but it will sometimes be as low as 7-9 MBPS, and then start buffering. My WiFi is strong throughout the entire house.

First, is it a waste to pay for the higher speeds if the router cannot handle the faster speeds through WiFi? If I downgraded to the 15/5 MBPS then would my evening speeds see a corresponding drop to 5-10MBPS?

Secondly, can I retain my multi-room DVR and use a better third-party router? Would a third-party router be faster for WiFi usage?

Mem

join:2002-01-03
White Plains, NY

3-30 speedtest
I have the 25Mbps/25Mbps service and routinely don't see speed problems with the Actiontech MI424-WR Rev F. router. It links at 65Mbps.

I also have a 3rd party router which allows better transfer N speed for my internal network. This doesn't affect the multi-room DVR functions.

Most likely there are other interference problems so you may want to check the surrounding AP's with something like inSSIDer or just change your channel to 1, 6 or 11 and see if it gets better.

wmcbrine
213 251 145 96

join:2002-12-30
Laurel, MD
kudos:1
reply to biggbrother
You won't be able to get the full speed out of your Fios with G, but you will with N. If your Actiontec doesn't support N (mine doesn't), look into adding a separate access point that does. (Of course your other equipment must also support it.)

I haven't noticed evening speed drops with Fios.
--
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
kudos:2
I run a dual band Airport Extreme, works great. My iPad, AppleTVs, and iMac all get 40/30 and I can still use my older Airport Expresses to stream music w/o bringing down my speeds.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to biggbrother
said by biggbrother:

I have the 25/15 MBPS FIOS internet service using the provided Verizon router and I have noticed that I barely break 20 MBPS when using wireless. During evening hours, I will sometimes be between 10-15 MBPS. With the exception of my Xbox 360, I connect to the Verizon router via WiFi with all my devices.

20 mbps is about the maximum real world bandwidth 802.11g can pump given best wireless conditions. This depends on distance, obstacles, interference, etc. and it will vary on different devices if one of these variables changes or depending on your device's wireless chipset and antenna(s).
said by biggbrother:

When using my Sony Blu-Ray player to stream Netflix via WiFi, it will usually not break 18 mbps which seems sufficient, but it will sometimes be as low as 7-9 MBPS, and then start buffering. My WiFi is strong throughout the entire house.

There aren't any "evening slowdowns" on FiOS like you can get on cable, and since your issues are over Wi-Fi it's probable that your issues in the evening are from neighboring Wi-Fi traffic. You can verify this by checking your FiOS speeds over a wired connection.
said by biggbrother:

First, is it a waste to pay for the higher speeds if the router cannot handle the faster speeds through WiFi? If I downgraded to the 15/5 MBPS then would my evening speeds see a corresponding drop to 5-10MBPS?

It's only a waste to pay for higher speeds if you never use them. If all of your internet usage is over Wi-Fi and you have no wired devices and you're only using 802.11g and not 802.11n, then yes it would be a waste to subscribe to a tier faster than 20 mbps. As I stated above, FiOS' speeds don't have an "evening slowdown" and that issue is probably related to your wireless environment (ex. possible neighbor interference). You can troubleshoot this issue by changing wireless channels (1, 6, or 11) and see if that helps and by checking to see what channels and how many neighboring wireless networks there are with a tool like inSSIDer.
said by biggbrother:

Secondly, can I retain my multi-room DVR and use a better third-party router? Would a third-party router be faster for WiFi usage?

Yes, MRDVR works if you setup your 3rd party router correctly to work with FiOS. Different methods and their pros/cons are listed in the FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
If your router or wireless access point is 802.11n and you have 802.11n wireless clients then Wi-Fi would be faster.

Zores

join:2002-02-24
New Milford, NJ
reply to biggbrother

wireless with asus rt-n66u

biggbrother
Premium
Providence, RI
reply to biggbrother
This is what I'm seeing this morning. I am in the kitchen, and router is in the next room 30 feet away.

I am going to connect the laptop via ethernet and see if speeds increase. Then I will switch channels.

biggbrother
Premium
Providence, RI
reply to biggbrother
Ok, I connected via Ethernet cable and got these speeds. So it looks like it's a WiFi issue as you guys predicted.

Checking my router settings...

biggbrother
Premium
Providence, RI
reply to biggbrother
These are my results after switching to channel 1:

So it looks like around 20mbps is the max I will see via WiFi (again as predicted, you guys are good).

My router is the Actiontech MI424-WR Rev E. I couldn't find any settings to switch it from B,G,N etc. I am assuming Rev. E doesn't have "N", correct? I have WPA2 enabled.

Mem See Profile mentioned adding a separate access point. How expensive is this? What brand/model do you recommend that will work with my router?

I was also thinking, is there a newer router model (i.e. Rev F) that supports Wireless N? Will Verizon swap my router out for it?

I have the Asus Transformer Prime, Galaxy Nexus, and a laptop that all support Wireless N so I am interested in getting my max speeds via wireless.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:32
said by biggbrother:

I am assuming Rev. E doesn't have "N", correct?

Correct.
said by biggbrother:

is there a newer router model (i.e. Rev F) that supports Wireless N?

Yes. Rev. F is draft 802.11n.
Rev. G and I are 802.11n but only a single stream.
said by biggbrother:

Will Verizon swap my router out for it?

No.
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »I want the new router model. How do I get one?
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mem

join:2002-01-03
White Plains, NY
reply to biggbrother
I have a LAN to LAN connection on the 3rd party router - #3 in the FAQ »Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

You could possibly save a little money getting an AP only, not a router.. »www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-300Mbps-···&sr=8-31

or as a stopgap measure a cheap router to use as an AP...
»www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Wireless···9&sr=8-8

but remember you usually get what you pay for.
I use a dual band router I got on sale for less than $50 -

»www.amazon.com/EnGenius-ESR7750-···&sr=8-48

but you need to have your devices to have n capability so if they don't, you'll be buying new network adapters as well. Be aware that if you have n broadcasting and a g device connects the router may only connect to all devices at g speed. That's where the concurrent dual band router in my situation helps - the 2.4GHz band is g and the 5GHz band is n only. Also, I see 28 or more AP's in the 2.4GHz band, only 1 in the 5GHz band. But you could use the Verizon router at g speeds and a new n router or AP (different SSID) for those devices connecting at n speed.

There are many routers up to $200 (and higher) that will give more powerful transmitters so what your network coverage needs will decide what you will spend.

slowfios

@verizon.net
Just wondering what kind of speeds you guys who went with the piggbacked N router / access point are seeing. I'm on the 50/20 fios plan, and never get more than about 19/15 via wireless, which is the same as the 18/14 or so I used to get with their 25/25 plan. Now that I understand the issue and solution from the posts above, I'm just wondering what kind of speeds I may be able to see for the extra $65 investment in a dual N router to add onto my set up here.

mking128

join:2005-08-10
College Point, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
Running the latest Actiontec MI424WR Gen3 Rev.I "N" wireless router on the 25/25 plan, with a bit of extra cushion on the downstream, usually around 30-31MB under ideal conditions over cat5 wiring - speedtest.net results used (vary depending on benchmarking sites used) Upstream side, its usually no higher than 16MB (so, I'm not seeing the full 25MB speed, VZ's sites measured it at around 23 or 24MB however ...)

Wirelessly, between N router and laptop's integrated Intel "G" wireless card, the best I've seen is 20 to 21 MB down & 14 to 15 MB up - although 15 up and 14 down is more typical. I do stream video from a desktop to HDTV with N mode USB sometimes - haven't measured those yet ... Youtube has been doing very nicely with this setup.

»speedtest.net/result/1873417192.png

Keep in mind there are many variables external to one's ideal, optimized setup that we simply cannot tweak or control (neighbor's interference - INssider showing 20+ AP, all of them in 2.4 Ghz band, mostly G mode and nobody in the 5 Ghz band lately, etc. etc.)

Springbok

join:2002-09-13
Colleyville, TX
reply to Zores
said by Zores:

[att=1]

wireless with asus rt-n66u

I got one too, this thing rocks. 450 mbs solid on 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz bands, simultaneously.

slowfios

@verizon.net
reply to slowfios
ok, so i got the actiontec dual g/n router from verizon, and my 50/20 service is now producing nothing less than about 30/15 over wireless, depending on how close to router I am. I've gotten as high as 44/18 over wireless. I had 4 devices running speedtest simultaniously and they were all well over 20 download speeds. My iphone even registered a 38/18.

You'd think they would know the limitation of the g router and upgrade people to n routers once they move into the faster plans.

thetick

join:2009-06-22
White Plains, NY
Why would Verizon care? Verizon is in the business to make money. If 95% of 50MB customers who are only using wireless and don't know they are only getting 20MB that's more $$$ paid to Verizon for less bandwidth used. That's a huge plus for Verizon. Consider yourself one of the few educated customers.

Most customers unless they measure their speed would not even know.

Zero

join:2009-07-01
Collegeville, PA
reply to slowfios
If I recall, I remember seeing fine print that VZ only guarantees speeds wired and not wireless. Wireless technology is constantly being upgraded (a/b/g/n and soon ac) and since the wireless router VZ supplies is free of charge with the service VZ isn't obligated to upgrade your router to the latest Wi-Fi standard when it releases just so you can max out your tier's speeds.