Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad

Re: [Caps] What do you think Comcast should do now about its dat

said by telcodad:

Yes, while every service provider's network is different, I mentioned what they were doing as indicating that the luxury of having "unlimited data" service is becoming scarcer and scarcer, as newer and newer IP devices and apps are starting to overwhelm these providers' existing networks, or even their attempts to build to keep up with their ever-increasing data demands!

Exactly! Free and Unlimited are the most over used and inaccurate terms in these threads.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by tshirt:

Exactly! Free and Unlimited are the most over used and inaccurate terms in these threads.

That is why even I have said that I don't think unlimited data is a realistic possibility now.

My vote was for changing to a finite, but tier-varying, cap.

Right now, Comcast Business HSI is still unlimited. Does that IP traffic use the facilities and HSI QAMs that residential users in the same neighboring areas use?

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Yup, it all comes over the same hybrid fiber/coax wire. and that still in some places, at some times is marginal/inadiquite to handle the current traffic level (i.e. areas which have not yet recieved D3 or the number of channels for d3 usage are limited, or areas where virtual nodes are maxed out and plant upgrades/more physical nodes are still in progress are most effected)
But business users are frequently on seperrate sets of channels with much lower contention which assures full speeds and available bandwidth as needed for which they pay a modest additional fee (a extra bandwidth tier, if you prefer that term .)

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Right now, Comcast Business HSI is still unlimited. Does that IP traffic use the facilities and HSI QAMs that residential users in the same neighboring areas use?

Yep. And business users pay dramatically more for the same speeds, especially at the higher tiers.

And business users (like me) while not worrying about caps, often use less than the cap per month. My average over three years is under 200GB/mo, and I serve three websites and provide email for 10 users on my 12/2 account (along with "residential" type use for 3 people, including netflix streaming...)