dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« bad PRA Vacation Fee? »
This is a sub-selection from What's the surprise?

cjones
@rogers.com

cjones to FFH5

Anon

to FFH5

Re: What's the surprise?

said by FFH5:

Why didn't people just flat out TERMINATE Comcast service and not accept that vacation fee nonsense.

I'm thinking it's because if the customers cancel, they need to pay for the equipment before the insurance gets around to paying them. Alternatively, they may not have gotten around to cancelling for a few weeks and thus be charged for a month's "vacation".
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by cjones :

said by FFH5:

Why didn't people just flat out TERMINATE Comcast service and not accept that vacation fee nonsense.

I'm thinking it's because if the customers cancel, they need to pay for the equipment before the insurance gets around to paying them. Alternatively, they may not have gotten around to cancelling for a few weeks and thus be charged for a month's "vacation".

Ever filed a claim??? .. ever been in this situation before??? .. I'm guessing not. If you were, or ever had to deal with this situation before, then you'd realize that the checks are typically written pretty quick and you're usually back on your way. There are also immediate checks that are written to the home owner for immediate living and it's not exactly a small amount either. There is also the checks they write for the lost contents of the home as well. As for the rebuilding of the structure, well, that check tends to take a bit longer as they don't simply write that to the home owner to deposit into their checking accounts.

Again, I believe that these news blogs are way over blown and people LOVE to sensationalize these things because, you know, if it was said on the internet it must be true.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

You act like this has never been discussed before. We have seen companies, including Comcast, act this way in similar situations before.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 recommendation

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by ptrowski:

You act like this has never been discussed before. We have seen companies, including Comcast, act this way in similar situations before.

Yea...? and?? my response has always been the same. I dont' act like this has never been discussed before,.. no different than everyone else that rushes in here to sheeple Karl's posts about them, right?

This is business as usual, as it should be.. sorry if it sounds cold and harsh, but it's reality.

Do you even know why we are educated on why we should insure BEFORE a disaster happens?

My stance will never change... sorry. For every month that I have to give up some pleasures in life so that I can write those checks to home owners, car insurance, health insurance, and pet health insurance, while others run around with different priorities, my stance won't change.. not one bit. Young people claim they can't afford renters insurance... ironically, that renters would cover that iPhone of theirs if it were ever stolen.

I'm still curious.. how many of these people who are outraged about comcast's position on having to pay for the box are insured?

Just as disastrous a burglary/break-in is, or a house fire is, the resident is still responsible. Again, this is why we insure BEFORE an accident happens.

So again.. and???

Cjones
@rogers.com

Cjones

Anon

Ladies and gentlemen, we see here before us the four great problems of the North American mind.
1. A completely closed mind...

"My stance will never change... sorry"

2. An inability to read and consider, insurance is not mentioned in the article...
"Do you even know why we are educated on why we should insure BEFORE a disaster happens?"

3. Selfishness, and the desperate need to drag others down into the servitude which the author experiences, and which he thinks is not only normal but praiseworthy...

"For every month that I have to give up some pleasures in life so that I can write those checks to home owners, car insurance, health insurance, and pet health insurance, while others run around with different priorities"

4. The elevation of business, defined as the constant desire for more money, into some sort of natural law. Gravity is reality, this is just a bunch of greedy people wanting as much as they can get...

"This is business as usual, as it should be.. sorry if it sounds cold and harsh, but it's reality."

I thank the author for putting the position so clearly, I would try to change his mind, but it's pointless, see 1. This is the view of many people on this continent. I hope its folly is evident, at least to the people who aren't yet locked into it.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
I didn't realize Iphones cost OVER $500. Even if they do cost say $550 the renter would get a $50 check for their Iphone from the insurer assuming they have a $500 deductible which is standard here for renter's insurance that most insurance companies including the "vaunted" State Farm will not issue in this state. Renter's insurance is very expensive. I can't afford full coverage for the contents of my condo I rent. Additionally, almost NO insurance companies offer Replacement Value but cash value only to renters which means the insurance is not worth it unless you have just made some big, expensive purchases of electronics or furniture (or you need it for liability purposes as you have some savings for your elder years for instance). Jewelry is not covered unless under a separate policy which is also very expensive. So, of course, most renters don't have insurance. The company that I have coverage with (a local company as none of the big ones will do renters insurance here at least not with Replacement Value) advised me to only cover PART of my contents because they apologized that full coverage would be astronomically expensive. So, yeah, most renters don't have coverage.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
Sheeple, original one. Yet you continue to post. This is not a single event like your burglary example, it affected quite a few people so any company should show a bit of compassion in these types of circumstances. You have families who lost their houses, their pictures, heirlooms, whatever. So the last thing I am sure they want to hear is to pay $20 a month to pay for service when they may not even have a living room to watch it in.

My stance is not going to change either so we can call it a draw.
« bad PRA Vacation Fee? »
This is a sub-selection from What's the surprise?