Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Xstar_Lumini

join:2008-12-14
Canada
kudos:2

WARNING: WIND Mobile

I just spent 2 days without phone service with WIND, since I just bashed Rogers in another thread it's only fair to post this too.

I signed up with WIND for unlimited everything for $40 (which includes data) at a WIND booth in a mall, ported my Rogers numer. 24 hrs later I had no service or data, WTF? I called customer service and they told me that I owed over $500 dollars for months of unpaid bills at WINd. I said WTF are you talking about I just signed up with you guys 24 hrs ago??? Customer service told me that my phone number matches an old WIND account which is deadbeat.

I was like WTF are you talking about I had this phone number with Rogers and before them with FIDO, for years and years, this has NEVER been a WIND phone number. Customer service then told me to go to one of their stores with an ID and the misunderstanding would be fixed.

I went to one of their stores and a nice young guy there got on the phone with headquaters and told them of my problem, I was a Rogers customer that signed up with them 24 hrs ago and that they claimed I owed them money for unpaid bills. The idiot at headquaters asked what was my favorite color? WTF? I said "red". He said he was sorry that he couldn't help us because I did not guesses right. I then took the phone away from the WIND guy and told the guy at headquaters when in hell has WIND asked me what's my favourite color? Never. The guy at headquaters then said he could not go any further because I failed to guess the "password".

I cussed at him because WIND never asked me for my favorite color or a password. The guy said he wanted to make sure that I was myself. The guy at the booth told him "I have him in front of me and I'm looking at his driver's licence right now". The guy at headquaters said that I had to know the password I supposedly gave them at sign-up... (I never did, nor was I asked what's my favourite color).

Here's the rundown:

-WIND does not believe their own authorized dealers, they do not trust their words, also God forbid you forget a password that you never made-up or they asked for.

So what was the problem?

When you sign up with WIND they give you a temporary phone number for 3 or 4 hours while the system ports your number from ROGERS.... well guess what? The temporary phone number they gave me was taken from a deadbeat WIND customer that never paid his bills. When they merged that phone number to my name for a few hours the system made it permanent and then flagged it as a deadbeat. It was like this that WIND thought I was an old deadbeat customer.

After 2 days and hours of being frustrated on the phone I gave up and took my phone to the WIND booth and asked for a cancellation (Since I have 14 days to return it). As I was doing this WIND magically revived my phone service again.

End of story, DO NOT ACCEPT A TEMPORARY PHONE NUMBER FROM THEM, their own authorized dealer told me that this problem is endemic with new customers and that they go through hell clearing their name. Heads up.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
Interesting...

My brother switched to Wind from Rogers a few weeks ago, he got the Galaxy Nexus. While he didn't have issues porting, he's having issues with spotty coverage and dropped calls all over Toronto.

He's called Wind a few times and they haven't been very helpful or sympathetic to the problems...

My brother used an old iPhone 3G for several years with Rogers and never had such issues in Toronto.
--
Tank Nation 2012

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Not the first time I've heard of this exact same thing happening. Their customer service varies from excellent to worse than anything you could ever imagine merely based on which call centre you happen to get.

And it's a real shame, because as I said in the other thread - I've got a Wind Mobile data stick that works great and is far cheaper than anything I could ever hope to get from any of the Big 3. They have real potential, they just have so many stupid little issues that - rightfully so - scare people away.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to Xstar_Lumini
I'm sure I made a post talking about billing errors with Wind. I'm sure of it....

Oh ya, when my mom ported her landline to Wind from Bell the port took 10 DAYS. They gave her a temp number in Oshawa on the other side of the GTA. As a result, EVERYONE that called her was paying long distance to do so. Wind didn't even care because she had "unlimited Canada wide" so it wasn't costing her anything.

Anyway, the grass isn't always greener on the other side.
--
Tom

ummmnoos

@204.45.133.x
reply to Xstar_Lumini
This happens with every provider. There is no way to be 100% sure it's someone from a store calling in and not just some guy looking to get someones account data.

The fact they didn't give access to the account is a GOOD thing and you are just a ranting tool.

BliZZardX
Premium
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON

1 edit
reply to Xstar_Lumini
That sucks this sounds like an odd ball issue I've ported in 5 numbers with no problems.

The temporary numbers they issue for a port-in expire after 30 days if you don't use it.

There is no favourite colour security question, they only use your phone number and an all-digit PIN for account identification.

If you forgot your PIN you can try to reset it here »care.windmobile.ca/Accounts/Forg···ode.aspx

If you never set your PIN before, think of one you want to use and then call 611 through your phone and speak to technical support to set it up.

The overseas call centres rush you off the phone and are next to useless but if you speak with someone at one of the Canadian call centres in London or Windsor they are much more helpful.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
reply to ummmnoos
said by ummmnoos :

The fact they didn't give access to the account is a GOOD thing and you are just a ranting tool.

Not a brain in your head eh? Ever heard of caller ID? Wind HQ knew EXACTLY which dealer was calling and from EXACTLY what number. Nice try noob!!

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
The call centre were asking for the account holders PIN which is valid question regardless of where he called from. Just because some random identity thief that looks similar to me walks into a Wind store with my expired drivers license, last month's bill and other stuff found in the garbage bin doesn't mean they should get unlimited access to my account.

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON

1 edit
said by BliZZardX:

Just because some random identity thief that looks similar to me walks into a Wind store with my expired drivers license, last month's bill and other stuff found in the garbage bin doesn't mean they should get unlimited access to my account.

With all due respect. Are you listening to yourself? "random identity thief that looks similar to me" "expired drivers license" " last month's bill and other stuff found in the garbage bin"

Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. (e.g. "Everyone is out to get me.") Making false accusations and the general distrust of others also frequently accompany paranoia.

Does this sound familiar??

balur

join:2010-04-28
kudos:1
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

Not a brain in your head eh? Ever heard of caller ID? Wind HQ knew EXACTLY which dealer was calling and from EXACTLY what number. Nice try noob!!

Because caller id isn't incredibly easy to spoof... noob... anyways do you really believe that wind front line reps have a database of all there dealers to consult from? Someones never worked in a call centre.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Last time I looked driver's licenses have photos, and Wind employees have ID and probably favourite car questions or other identifying info.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada

1 edit
reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

The call centre were asking for the account holders PIN which is valid question regardless of where he called from. Just because some random identity thief that looks similar to me walks into a Wind store with my expired drivers license, last month's bill and other stuff found in the garbage bin doesn't mean they should get unlimited access to my account.

What dude? Hahaha unbelieveable, and the thief also found my WIND receipts and the orange WIND carry bag and the audacity to show up with a mask that looked like me. When a corporation does not trust the word of their authorized dealer even whn he's calling from an authorized dealer phone number then you know what kind of sucky customer service they have and the kind of dissaray their organization is in.

Well you cannot beat $40/month everything unlimited, I will definitely give them a second chance, I have not encountered dropped calls or no coverage or data slag at all.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to elitefx
dupe

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON

4 edits
reply to elitefx
said by elitefx:

With all due respect. Are you listening to yourself? Does this sound familiar??

It was an extreme example of why security questions are used. If you handled customer information you would get rid of all security mechanisms right? It's not only to protect customers its to protect the business from unnecessary credit card chargebacks.

Caller ID and caller name can be easily spoofed so going by that alone would be foolish and probably break their internal process.

All Xstar/dealer had to do is call back and speak to another CSR, the one they got sounded poorly trained and you get a lot of poorly trained CSRs in call centres, especially the overseas type Wind uses, who knows how little those guys are getting paid.

They only identifying information needed the first time resetting an account PIN are name, phone number, address, date of birth. Then you set your PIN, and use that to verify yourself every time you phone in or login to the website customer portal. The PIN can be reset in a minute at a corporate store (not a dealer) or through customer care's 611/toll free number.

The original PIN can be found in the first email or text sent to the customer when they sign up, if you scroll down...

quote:
You were activated on Monday February 27, at 12:21 pm, at GW Store, ONTOR_WINDCS_METRO_HALL.

So that's it! If you have any questions, don't be afraid to visit the MY ACCOUNT page at www.windmobile.ca . You'll need this ACCOUNT PIN #### to access your account; it will also be texted to you shortly. And remember, you can always join the conversation by becoming a member of the WIND community when you visit our website.

Enjoy the conversation!
All carriers have a verification system similar to this, at least the one's I have dealt with - Rogers, Fido, Mobilicity etc.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Wow some people are VERY ignorant. Look what a Rogers customer said about WIND:

And no, I'm not a troll... just someone with a bad experience with Wind & Mobilicity.

Don't take it wrong, Wind or Mobilicity might be the perfect experience for you if you live in a good coverage area and don't want an SGS2/Galaxy Nexus/HTC Amaze and are fine with a lower end phone with better attenae. But if you're going there because of the Unlimited Data, just don't. Mobilicity throttles you if you hit 100mb in 15 minutes. Their network already feels like it's being throttled when it's full speed, imagine what it feels like when you are ACTUALLY throttled LOL

Wind's unlimited data is actually a soft cap of 5gb (although I'm not sure if they usually enforce it or not) but again, most users cannot even HIT 500mb so what's the point of unlimited data?

Wow Einstein, I just got the top-end Samsung Galaxy Nexus from WIND, how do you explain that? I also saw all the smartphones you mentioned on display except the iphone but who needs the iphone when you have an Andriod smartphone that is not only better at video-taking but it has a bigger screen and fully unrestricted to customize it to your heart's content?

About data throttling? Oh please, Rogers does this also, and who in hell uses over 100MB in 15 minutes on their smartphone? 5GB is 10 times MORE than what Rogers had me on for $70/month, who cares if WIND's "unlimited data" is not truly unlimited.

I thought this guy had posted this in 2010, to my shock he posted this on March 28/2012, what cave does he lives on that he still doesn't know that WIND has the Galaxy Nexus?

Here's the original thread:

»forums.redflagdeals.com/rogers-f···58291/5/

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
Rogers doesn't throttle data, they just begin charging a rate per MB when you go over your quota.

On the unlimited plan Wind may throttle you to 32KB/s after 10GB if the cell site you are connected to is busy. When network traffic is low, for example in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, you can use as much data as you want at full speed. Fair usage policy: »www2.windmobile.ca/wind%20docs/w···0111.pdf

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by BliZZardX:

On the unlimited plan Wind may throttle you to 32KB/s after 10GB if the cell site you are connected to is busy. When network traffic is low, for example in the middle of the night when everyone is sleeping, you can use as much data as you want at full speed. Fair usage policy: »www2.windmobile.ca/wind%20docs/w···0111.pdf

There are people who have pulled hundreds of gigs in a single month on Wind and have never encountered throttling. It's kind of a crapshoot as to when it would happen, albeit I could see it happening a lot more in Toronto than it would elsewhere.

Stewy
Premium
join:2007-12-12
Kitchener, ON
reply to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

So what was the problem?

what we have here is a failure to communicate. Obviously the fix is simple but if you choose the I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll blow your house down approach it rarely works.

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Gone
@Gone yeah where I live it's inconsistent. The only time I max out network speeds (16Mbps) is in the evenings when offices empty out and on weekends when downtown is practically a ghost town (lots of underutilized capacity). Weekday browsing can get pretty slow, I don't use it often except for e-mail though.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
My Wind stick is just the cheap $29 7Mbit stick, I saw no reason in buying a faster one when one would expect the network to slow down under use. Still, I find myself pulling 6Mbit/s off of it fairly consistently if I have a good signal.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

join:2004-05-29
canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
Those of you who are PRAISING wind for doing this because its good security? like wtf? grow up. you can clearly see wind has a POOR SYSTEM in place for checking for fraudlent accounts. They need to BEEF UP their system. everyone knows you DONT assume someone is a deadbeat based on their temp TN. They should match the BAN info of the deadbeat with existing BAN. info = same on old and new ban = red flag.

This was probaly the deadbeats security question, not yours, and its sad their system did this to you.

I have better ways of checking acounts and i do not simply base it on the temp TN. a number can be re-used by more than one person, where your credit check will always lead u to the same peson. take that and smoke it.
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
by the way, this should be posted in the wind mobile (or globalive) form, not the roger form

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

Those of you who are PRAISING wind for doing this because its good security? like wtf? grow up. you can clearly see wind has a POOR SYSTEM in place for checking for fraudlent accounts. They need to BEEF UP their system. everyone knows you DONT assume someone is a deadbeat based on their temp TN. They should match the BAN info of the deadbeat with existing BAN. info = same on old and new ban = red flag.

This was probaly the deadbeats security question, not yours, and its sad their system did this to you.

Hugely broken system on their part. It sounds like it was designed by someone who didn't really understand the application.

Also, the fact that the guy showed up at the Wind outlet with photo ID should have been enough to get the CSR to clue in that maybe something was up.

Bad bad bad bad practices... hopefully they learn.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
reply to Xstar_Lumini
amen brother

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Paolo
said by Paolo:

They should match the BAN info of the deadbeat with existing BAN. info = same on old and new ban = red flag.

Wind has BANs and does credit checks for everyone on postpaid accounts. This story is just a result of poor training across the organisation, people don't use the tools given to them to resolve problems.

but one thing they are consistent with is identifying customers by account PIN. If you don't have your PIN /or/ specific personal and billing info they won't help you.

Paolo
Mr. Wireless

canada
its pretty sad they set up a pin on someones account and fail to disclose it. whats next? they make up a favourite colour for you too?
--
Happiness is like peeing your pants... Everyone can see it, but only you can feel its Warmth!!

BliZZardX
Premium
Toronto, ON

4 edits
Read up a little, they collect your e-mail address when you sign up. When your number gets activated, they send your PIN (automatically generated) to the e-mail you provided as well as inside a text message. OP obviously never read them.

In fact he should have received those welcome messages twice. Once when the temporary number was activated, and a second time when his ported number was activated.

The problem was the person they spoke to on the phone.

The dealer should have known better to hang up and call back to speak with a different person, there are ways around the PIN that maybe the first person wasn't aware of. Instead the dealer continued the case with the incompetent guy and that just ended in him getting cussed out.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
Yup, when my account was activated the other day they emailed me and texted me a PIN. Not exactly rocket science.

Xstar_Lumini

Canada
reply to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

Read up a little, they collect your e-mail address when you sign up. When your number gets activated, they send your PIN (automatically generated) to the e-mail you provided as well as inside a text message. OP obviously never read them.

What the hell are you talking about? I did read the PIN, both in my e-mail and text message, and guess what? That bloody pin was not recognized by a WIND csr on the other end of the phone so he made me choose my own PIN number, I chose the same 4-digit PIN number of my debit card, forward 24 hours later and WIND was telling me that this was also wrong, both were wrong, the one they texted me and the one they made me create. How do you explain that?

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
said by Xstar_Lumini:

What the hell are you talking about? I did read the PIN, both in my e-mail and text message, and guess what? That bloody pin was not recognized by a WIND csr on the other end of the phone so he made me choose my own PIN number, I chose the same 4-digit PIN number of my debit card, forward 24 hours later and WIND was telling me that this was also wrong, both were wrong, the one they texted me and the one they made me create. How do you explain that?

Easy to explain - their broken customer care system was probably showing the OTHER guy's PIN and favourite colour, so of course you got it wrong. You're the other guy, remember? Obviously it's your fault since you can't read the deadbeat's mind and figure out what his PIN and favourite colour is.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net