No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

Cogeco to START - Changeover Logistics

said by rocca:

(Quoted from the 'Ottawa Availability' - non-Cogeco thread)

You can do it either way, ie cancel with your current provider at least 10 business days out and call/signup with us and reference the date. Or, signup with us and then call your current provider to get the date and call us back to let us know. The first way saves a step but some people are not comfortable with doing that before they talk with us, and the second way there is the extra step but you've talked to someone here first.

Either way works equally as well, in the end we submit the transfer as soon as we know what date to co-ordinate it for.

I have already adjusted my Cogeco cutoff date once, just before START emailed me regarding my prebook with a proposed install date which is 3 days further out.

Would it still be best for me to follow the same advice as posted above, and call Cogeco to move my cutoff date to exactly match this proposed install date, or are pre-bookings such as mine held to looser rules ?

I also have been led to believe that I could deliberately overlap my existing Cogeco account for a few days with my new START account, and that both could be used as I wished during the overlap period by substituting the modems back and forth.

Of course I would end up paying for 2 accounts for that period if I did that, but please would you confirm that Cogeco would allow it to happen, and that it would not harm the install fee waive, neither from START to myself nor from Cogeco to START ? (as Cogeco would have the same subscriber name and service location on file for both accounts, AND, as best as I can remember, they have never in the past complained about making extra money from a consumer )

Thanks.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

Re: Cogeco to START Changeover Logistics

I have a strong feeling that other potential new START subscribers would feel an extra layer of reassurance, if they were allowed to deliberately do a service overlap such as I mentioned above.

Considering the all-too-common anecdotal evidence of Rogers & Videotron having prolonged outages during the switching over of Cable Internet subscribers, and the grumbles which naturally ensue, this idea, if made generally possible and known, could well be regarded as a pleasant surprise, AND an additional incentive for Cogeco folks to come over to START, and could even become an advertising 'Talking Point' for START, yes ?

rudeboy24

join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON
I am interested in doing that to i have a voip phone for business and personal and do not want to have any downtime.
My ideal plan would be to have them overlap for testing before i switch completely.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:23
reply to Davesnothere
It's a great idea in theory, however we don't set the rules for transfers unfortunately. A transfer is "a move of an existing cable internet service", vs what you're suggesting is an "installation of a second service ahead of my disconnection with my previous provider". The later is definitely possible, and some have gone that route, however it results in an installation charge for the second service as opposed to the free (to the customer) transfer.

What we have been doing recently is setting our activation date the day before the disconnection from the previous provider and those orders have been accepted and processed, and our success rate has been almost perfect (I think we've seen 'red' misprovision one but that was fixed by 10am the next day) - however still only one modem can be active at a time. We'll see if we can do the same thing with Cogeco next week as the transfer orders start processing, but if a prolonged cut over period is what you're looking for then it's certainly possible by opting for an second installation vs a transfer.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
reply to Davesnothere
One other thing we've seen with Cogeco is that if you're keeping your TV service they are telling customers that they can just call to disconnect their internet service on the same day that ours goes active. That seems odd to me, but I've had a half-dozen customers so far tell me that's what they've been told. I wouldn't recommend it, ie think it's best you give notice to make sure you don't get stuck with something but that's what we're hearing.

So, transfer process in short:

- Call Cogeco, get a cancellation date
- Call us to order, let us know the date
- We do the rest

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to rocca
said by rocca:

....but if a prolonged cut over period is what you're looking for then it's certainly possible by opting for an second installation vs a transfer.

AND paying the extra $50 plus HST for our installs then, correct ?

As I was saying (in another thread), MY Cogeco cutoff date is currently at the 9th, and START's proposed install is the 12th.

Should I adjust now for a 12th cutoff then, to keep things kosher between all 3 of us about the install fees ?

Or should I first contact START's CS to see that the 12th is still valid ? (as I have not confirmed their proposal and THAT was issued last Friday - yesterday - morning)

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Davesnothere:

said by rocca:

....but if a prolonged cut over period is what you're looking for then it's certainly possible by opting for an second installation vs a transfer.

AND paying the extra $50 plus HST for our installs then, correct ?

Correct, unfortunately there is a cost if you want to run two services in parallel.

said by Davesnothere:

As I was saying (in another thread), MY Cogeco cutoff date is currently at the 9th, and START's proposed install is the 12th. Should I adjust now for a 12th cutoff then, to keep things kosher between all 3 of us about the install fees ? Or should I first contact START's CS to see that the 12th is still valid ? (as I have not confirmed their proposal and THAT was issued last Friday - yesterday - morning)

I'd suggest adjusting the date of your cut-off, but please do confirm as soon as possible as the clock is moving forward and we still need our transfer window time. Ie you can't wait until just a few days before the install/transfer and get the same date.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
said by rocca:

....I'd suggest adjusting the date of your cut-off, but please do confirm as soon as possible as the clock is moving forward and we still need our transfer window time. Ie you can't wait until just a few days before the install/transfer and get the same date.

With your advice in mind, I called START CS today and checked that the 12th was still available - and it was, so I next called Cogeco.

MON - 2012-04-02 - ~4:45PM
1-800-267-9000 (MAIN COGECO NUMBER), 1 ENG, 2 BILLING
Pressed # in response to IVR Req for phone number, did this twice, then it Queued me
~5m wait in queue, then a rep answered.

I identified myself and the account, and then asked the rep to arrange to extend my Internet service cutoff to the end of April 12th (3 more days after the 9th, where it currently sat), mentioning that I was familiar with the procedure due to another rep doing the same for me last week.

She said that it could only be for 2 or 4 days, because their order/billing system will reject requests for the 12th as trucks do not roll to our particular municipality on Tuesdays nor Thursdays, just M,W,F.

I said that I did not NEED a truck roll, as this is to be a transfer to another Cable ISP, and I further explained that there would be nothing for the tech to do at the service location and nothing to do at the pole, plus that I will be swapping the modems.

She said that this scenario had not come up before, so I briefed her about TPIA providers and mentioned START as being the main new player in such arrangements with Cogeco so far, as well as strongly suggesting that I would be one of the first of many to be making this type of request.

She said that as far as SHE knew, I would still have to pick either the 11th or the 13th to end my Cogeco service (yes folks, Friday the 13th no less - ♫ ♬ "I hear the train-wreck a-comin'...." ).

Since START had offered me the 12th as THEIR earliest date, I chose the 13th.

I reminded her several times during the conversation that she would be wise to alert whichever other departments that would need to know, that THE TRANSFER ORDERS have begun, and that there would be more like mine, so that they might wish to review the recording of my call, and their procedures, and she said that she WOULD notify the appropriate people.

But nonetheless, I get this sinking feeling that after a successful transfer to START on the 12th, that a Cogeco truck still WILL roll to my place on Friday the 13th, and that a tech WILL unhook my cable at the pole junction, just like so many other times where folks on DSLR have lamented the same being done to them by Rogers or Videotron on a transfer, and leave me without Internet for the weekend or longer.

And if THAT happens, it won't matter how right my MAC address is in the server log, nor how accurately the CMTS's are numbered.

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !
-
START Forum »Start Communications
Or you can still use Canadian Broadband.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by Davesnothere:

....she said that she WOULD notify the appropriate people.

But nonetheless, I get this sinking feeling that after a successful transfer to START on the 12th, that a Cogeco truck still WILL roll to my place on Friday the 13th, and that a tech WILL unhook my cable at the pole junction, just like so many other times where folks on DSLR have lamented the same being done to them by Rogers or Videotron on a transfer, and leave me without Internet for the weekend or longer.

And if THAT happens, it won't matter how right my MAC address is in the server log, nor how accurately the CMTS's are numbered.

So what I'm asking here is what more that START and/or myself can do to be sure that this process proceeds properly and smoothly, and that Cogeco does not unhook my wire afterwards ?

The phone conversation which I paraphrased above did not leave me particularly confident that all departments at Cogeco know how to handle these newfangled TRANSFER orders.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Davesnothere:

So what I'm asking here is what more that START and/or myself can do to be sure that this process proceeds properly and smoothly, and that Cogeco does not unhook my wire afterwards ?
The conversation which I paraphrased above did not leave me particularly confident that all departments at Cogeco knew what to do with these newfangled TRANSFER orders.

The CSR's on the phone are a very different group than the people we deal with in the CSG/TPIA group.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

But the phone CSRs are caught in the middle of all this change, and seem not to know what to do, and WE have to depend upon them to help coordinate the transfer process.

They should be better briefed by their trainers, and there's no time like the present....

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

START is LIVE in COGECO-Land !

newcabler

@queensu.ca
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Cogeco to START - Changeover Logistics

Hi, guys, this maybe an off topic, but I am coming from Bell 2.5M/800kbps package, I am thinking about which Start internet package in Cogecoland is best suitable for me. Would the Express 4 at 4Mbps/400kbps unlimited be adequate? Honestly, the download speed is not much a concern as even my previous Bell 2.5M works beautifully with the internet TV programs I am using. Now upload is another story, I use skype often, so the quality of skype video is important. Would 400kbps and 800bps or even 1M/ 1.5M bps upload speed makes a big difference in skype video chat?

Thanks.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
Here's Skype's recommended speeds:

»support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA14···ype-need

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to rocca

Re: Cogeco to START Changeover Logistics

said by rocca:

said by Davesnothere:

The conversation which I paraphrased above did not leave me particularly confident that all departments at Cogeco knew what to do with these newfangled TRANSFER orders.

The CSR's on the phone are a very different group than the people we deal with in the CSG/TPIA group.

Not surprising, because the CSG/TPIA group I'm sure knows nothing about the billing system...period.

@Davesnothere, how is the modem being returned to Cogeco?
That would be why the truck roll would be booked because unless you have a storefront out there that you are returning it to, the tech will pick up the modem when he comes by as part of the disconnect of the Cogeco service.

In regards to cogeco's billing system, they deal with TPIAs differently, so in regards to your address being disconnected, I don't forsee that being a problem.

So, that's why things are the way they are...The departments do not directly talk to eachother .....or talk to eachother at all...

In regards to your MAC address, again, because its handled differently, I don't forsee any issues with having a separate install date, if anything maybe set it for the 11th instead of the 13th then?..

Just saying .

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
said by nitzguy:

That would be why the truck roll would be booked because unless you have a storefront out there that you are returning it to, the tech will pick up the modem when he comes by as part of the disconnect of the Cogeco service....

Modem return box received some time ago (thread started about that in Cogeco forum) - a Cogeco rep told me to expect box, so it should be in their log for my account, and the onus would be on them to read their own log.

Deal with TPIAs diff - Yes, but so diff that the CS has never heard of it ? - THAT's what has me worried, as they were hanging the whole process on the perceived need for a truck roll.

And depts not talking to each other - or to me sometimes - I guess I should not be surprised - happens at other providers too - but that IS one of the reasons that I am LEAVING Cogeco, if you've followed my posts at all on the matter - it's not so much about the money, and their connection has been solid & fast, so what does that leave ?

And my line about the MAC was only sarcasm, to illustrate that ANY any single dept could fuck up a final result.

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
said by Davesnothere:

said by nitzguy:

That would be why the truck roll would be booked because unless you have a storefront out there that you are returning it to, the tech will pick up the modem when he comes by as part of the disconnect of the Cogeco service....

Modem return box received some time ago (thread started about that in Cogeco forum) - a Cogeco rep told me to expect box, so it should be in their log for my account, and the onus would be on them to read their own log.

Deal with TPIAs diff - Yes, but so diff that the CS has never heard of it ? - THAT's what has me worried, as they were hanging the whole process on the perceived need for a truck roll.

And depts not talking to each other - or to me sometimes - I guess I should not be surprised - happens at other providers too - but that IS one of the reasons that I am LEAVING Cogeco, if you've followed my posts at all on the matter - it's not so much about the money, and their connection has been solid & fast, so what does that leave ?

And my line about the MAC was only sarcasm, to illustrate that ANY any single dept could fuck up a final result.

LOL, I see. Yes, so different that they hadn't heard of it. It wouldn't surprise me that the CS staff wouldn't be made aware that this whole TPIA process exists. I wasn't made aware that there were TPIA's out there until about 2005 when an unruly Vianet customer called Cogeco directly because Vianet was giving him the runaround...turns out they had an interconnect up in Muskoka area...I don't know if it was resold or whatnot, all I was told is that he had to deal with Vianet and I don't know how Vianet dealt with Cogeco...I still don't know how they interface with Cogeco...

So, yes, it wouldn't surprise me that they don't talk to eachother and that the sales/CS staff isn't aware of anything to be honest, because they're cut right out of the loop...

In regards to the modem being returned, are you keeping cable TV? I'm surprised...because I'm sure they put some sort of internet filter on the line as well to block out the analogue channels in your area....that'd also be why the truck roll would have to be done, but the sales rep could have gone in and changed the disconnection date to not co-incide with the truck roll date either, but maybe they were just being lazy I don't know....6+years is a long time .

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
said by nitzguy:

....In regards to the modem being returned, are you keeping cable TV? I'm surprised...because I'm sure they put some sort of internet filter on the line as well to block out the analogue channels in your area....that'd also be why the truck roll would have to be done, but the sales rep could have gone in and changed the disconnection date to not co-incide with the truck roll date either, but maybe they were just being lazy I don't know....6+years is a long time .

I never had TV at this address.

Or are you saying that it might have been there regardless ?

However, I would expect a TV filter to have been deployed when I first got Cogeco 'net here, as tech DID climb pole THAT day to enable 'net, as he told me, in which case still no need for a truck roll now, as TV filter SHOULD already be in place from then, yes ?

But still, I ought to hook a TV to my cable to see wassup, eh ?

nitzguy
Premium
Sudbury, ON
said by Davesnothere:

said by nitzguy:

....In regards to the modem being returned, are you keeping cable TV? I'm surprised...because I'm sure they put some sort of internet filter on the line as well to block out the analogue channels in your area....that'd also be why the truck roll would have to be done, but the sales rep could have gone in and changed the disconnection date to not co-incide with the truck roll date either, but maybe they were just being lazy I don't know....6+years is a long time .

I never had TV at this address.

Or are you saying that it might have been there regardless ?

However, I would expect a TV filter to have been deployed when I first got Cogeco 'net here, as tech DID climb pole THAT day to enable 'net, as he told me, in which case still no need for a truck roll now, as TV filter SHOULD already be in place from then, yes ?

But still, I ought to hook a TV to my cable to see wassup, eh ?

Ok, I see then . If you never had TV at all then my argument is rendered moot.

That's weird that they'd send you a box to return the modem + roll a truck for the disconnect....oh well, what do I know...

Sure, why not, I wouldn't be surprised if you receieved 2-6 and...maybe channel 14...but maybe not.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by nitzguy:

Ok, I see then . If you never had TV at all then my argument is rendered moot.

That's weird that they'd send you a box to return the modem + roll a truck for the disconnect....oh well, what do I know...

Sure, why not, I wouldn't be surprised if you receieved 2-6 and...maybe channel 14...but maybe not.

The nearest Cogeco office is 12 miles out (unless they closed it), so shipping it to H.O. at their cost beats driving at mine.

That was one thing which never occurred to me to question.

But I really ought to hook up a set to see (unhook modem, as no splitter with no TV sub).

Topiatic

join:2011-02-20
Oakville, ON
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Cogeco to START - Changeover Logistics

The Cogeco account to my house is held by a room mate so I've had to have her deal with Cogeco CS, but she keeps coming back with 'Cogeco doesn't do "disconnect dates"... call the day of, or return the modem the day of', are the only options available.

Any advice on how to handle Cogeco CS to ensure a smooth transfer for the 12th - 14th?

Thanks in advance, your happy ex-Cogeco customer
--
Bah!

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
As noted, if you have more than one service with Cogeco you can call the day your service with Start is activated and cancel then. If you don't well, only God can make you safe.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to Topiatic
said by Topiatic:

but she keeps coming back with 'Cogeco doesn't do "disconnect dates"... call the day of, or return the modem the day of', are the only options available.

That's a complete load of bullshit because I've done this myself. They let you pick the date, even when they don't require the 30 days. When I cancelled my cable TV last summer I had them do it 15 days after my phone call.

Topiatic

Oakville, ON
reply to Phorkster
said by Phorkster:

As noted, if you have more than one service with Cogeco you can call the day your service with Start is activated and cancel then. If you don't well, only God can make you safe.

Aside from my faith in God to keep me safe

said by rocca:

One other thing we've seen with Cogeco is that if you're keeping your TV service they are telling customers that they can just call to disconnect their internet service on the same day that ours goes active. That seems odd to me, but I've had a half-dozen customers so far tell me that's what they've been told. I wouldn't recommend it, ie think it's best you give notice to make sure you don't get stuck with something but that's what we're hearing.

--
Bah!

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
London, ON
said by Topiatic:

said by rocca:

We'll know for sure in a few days as the first batch of transfers are happening this week and I'm sure many will report in with what happens when they call Cogeco after the fact.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
said by rocca:

We'll know for sure in a few days as the first batch of transfers are happening this week and I'm sure many will report in with what happens when they call Cogeco after the fact.

I can only imagine CHAOS and or DOOM, on Cogeco's part.

Topiatic

Oakville, ON
said by Phorkster:

said by rocca:

I can only imagine CHAOS and or DOOM, on Cogeco's part.

This of course will be the day they suddenly have great offers and incentives to stay with them as they scramble to understand the request... I'm really looking forward to it
--
Bah!

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Back to the Future

For any folks who prefer an ASAP install date on a Cogeco feed, and do not mind swapping modems later, please read this post :

»Re: Just Signed Off

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
reply to Davesnothere

Transfer CONFIRMED !

Just a quick heads up, folks :

My Transfer from Cogeco to START has been confirmed for the 12th (which was the date proposed by START when my pre-order was first pencilled in).

BTW, I opted to accept a D2 modem as a temp until the D3's are happening, and here's a toast to its anticipated arrival later on today at the P.O....

n3k0

@teksavvy.com
Can't wait to read your review, Davesnothere.