join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to borntochill

Re: [Equipment] For Those Looking for an Atom Based PC For Aster

Just an FYI, it came in earlier this week. I was able to load PIAF Red 64 bit and run on it.
A couple of side notes: The manufacturer only gives "Windows" support on this machine (Foxconn NTA350-0H0W-B-A-NA). After I installed PIAF, I lost all graphics (X). Since this is a headless unit, it doesn't matter much to me. Wireless is a no-go too.
I have not been able to find a linux video driver for the AMD Radeon HD 6310.
For shits and grins, I loaded windows 7 64 bit, and it's just fine and dandy.

Now for the good stuff. I decided to play around with it, and loaded Proxmox. Went off without a hitch. I then loaded PIAF Purple 64 bit in a container. It's up and running. I have not put it into production, and will not until I get a chance to burn it in and kick the tires.

I'm kind of stunned that this thing is running as a virtual host and doesn't seem to mind at all. What's crazy is this thing boots so fast it's almost unreal. I'd say less than ten seconds, and I'm not exaggerating.
I may try putting sugar, or FreeSwitch, or a couple of low volume websites on the other half.

I'll check the power draw later, but something tells me it's going to be much less than my old Dell 1650 that * is currently residing on.
--
...because I care.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
said by nunya:

I have not been able to find a linux video driver for the AMD Radeon HD 6310.

I have bags under my eyes now working with these AMD Radeon videos. I grabbed the Q180, guess what, same issue, or similar to yours.

After the system installed and rebooted, all I got was this thin line on the top of the screen. Couldn't do a thing in Linux. Turns out, there are a number of Kernel bugs written around these drivers. A fix is to cascade down to PIAF in a month or so. Even a fresh install of RH did not correct the issue. I read Ubuntu and the like are all affected.

Your method of installation is probably the best. Keep us posted.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
I got a bunch of thin horizontal lines at the top, and "static" on the bottom. I'm still kicking this box around. I added Sugar CRM, IncrediblePBX3, and IncredibleFAX2 - so far it hasn't blinked. Right now, I just have the fax DID, a Google Voice DID, and 1 residential DID on the system with 2 extensions.
--
...because I care.

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms
Out of sheer frustration, I ordered one of these »www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Intel-Bareb···1&sr=8-1

The prices have sky-rocketed, but my entire system was around $250 with 8 Gig memory and hard drive. My old PIAF was on a quiet Lenovo Q100 but I got the famed message 'no longer supported" message. I did a reimplementation of PIAF on the Zotac and went live today after running load-n-soak for about 2 weeks. This box runs a bit warm, but screams. The Q100 will be re-imaged with PIAF and I may reinstate that as a production box; not sure yet.

I'm in deviceandenduser mode with 16 devices and 4 VoIP providers. This box doesn't even breath. The X Windows is beautiful as well, although Centos 6 applications are sorely lacking.

As far as wireless goes, I did get this box in WiFI mode. Problem is that PIAF in its native mode, does not support wlan0 fail2ban. My solution was to get one of these : »www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003KP···_details In "N" mode, the puppy still screams.

I will only use this method in the summer months in the peak of thunderstorm season (I've been hit by lightning twice), hence, I always have a backup system.