spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MTB
join:2007-06-29
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

Can MJimLay be black listed on DSLR?

I am sorry is this is not the right place or the proper way to post this information but we should have an honest DSLR community with integrity.

A DSLR member should not renege on a Dedicated Sever or any other offer.

When you have an offer and an acceptance you have a morally and legally binding contract/agreement

A Dedicated server with a fresh load and root access should not have an unknown KVM back door where the seller can view your work, private data and/or simply blow it away to load a different OS without warning.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

"I'll take 'Only One Side of the Story' for $100, Alex"

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by Steve:

"I'll take 'Only One Side of the Story' for $100, Alex"

Yea, why was the other thread about this locked? I think it would be nice to get the other side of the story here.
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

I think he found out that his 32bit applications did not work on his new quad core.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by MTB:

I think he found out that his 32bit applications did not work on his new quad core.

Well yea but stuff like that can talked out, reasonable people will understand things happen. Giving the run around is just a pain to deal with for everybody.
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

MJImlay is refusing to clear up the situation and return the server or the data.

Corenetworks has been informed that they have stolen/illegally obtained data, refuse to return it and seen to think they can hold on to what is essentially stolen property without the owners permission. This is also a violation of their own TOS policy regarding IP property.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
Did you pay him for the server? Has that money been returned to you? This is all very weird. I always like to give DSLR long time members the benefit of the doubt but with no comment so far from him, it leaves me scratching my head.

If all of this really doesnt work out well, sell something small in the for sale forum which will give you access to leave feedback and then you can leave appropriate feedback for the dedicated server incident.

If you can prove any sort of damages (monetary or otherwise), and you really want to take it beyond the site, take it to small claims court in CA.
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

I originally paid approx $54.00 $34.95 for setup and $19.95 monthly fee. I would have to look to see if I ate a transaction fee or 2.

He asked me a few times how the server was working. I am not sure if this was because he was curious as to if somebody else got the server running, weather I was just a place holder while he tried to figure out his new server.

I did not hear back from him so I started IMing him because the next payment was due and I also felt that it was time to get the server completely transferred into my name. I also ws asking him about running a vm on that machine since seems to have done tht before.

After I realized that I could no longer access the machine and started contacting corenetworks to figure out the account status I was sent a paypal refund from what appeared to be his sister or wife's account.

Small claims will not work since it is out of the CA juristiction and small claims typically does not award you damages for your own work only work that you have paid for. I would have to file a civil claim in CA, FL or MI perhaps

He did violate my civil rights by using a KVM backdoor to access my personal data which included my php code, work related letters, resume, email backup, financial information, bank and other protected information.

I never knew that anybody had access via KVM. I thought it was an option to be installed. I can also say that in my IM's he side stepped my KVM questions. I did not think it wa a big deal since I was ok with installing debian servers from a basic terminal.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

So you got your entire $54 dollars back, correct? As for the data - who knows if he pilfered it. Was the cure for cancer or something?
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

Yes I did get money back but also lost lots of time for a person that does not honor an offer and acceptance which is the oldest contract in the land.

He also claims to not know how to read linux/debian data but a quick internet search shows that he does use *ux machines.

»Sending File

I do not know what is going on here but »imlay,net and one of my old ip addresses »64.85.166.46 point to what looks like a Microsoft page??

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by MTB:

I do not know what is going on here but »imlay,net and one of my old ip addresses »64.85.166.46 point to what looks like a Microsoft page??

Looks like a default page for IIS... (Microsoft proprietary "web server").

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv to MTB

to MTB
If your data is that sensitive then host it yourself (as was suggested in another forum to you already). If you think you have a legal case then then sue the person and have your day in court.

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

Steve to MTB

to MTB
said by MTB:

He did violate my civil rights by using a KVM backdoor to access my personal data which included my php code, work related letters, resume, email backup, financial information, bank and other protected information.

If you seriously believe that a server with keyboard, video and mouse ports could sit in a data center with no possibility of somebody connecting a keyboard, video, or mouse, you really shouldn't be shopping for dedicated servers.

There is no circumstance where you can host remotely without trusting the place housing the box. None.

Edit — maybe you didn't get the services you paid for (in which case that should be made right), but any talk of KVM access and "civil rights" marks you as being so seriously out of touch with the industry that it's very easy to write you off as a nutbar and/or noob. Really, let that part go.

Steve

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium Member
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN

ViviTheMage

Premium Member

said by Steve:

said by MTB:

If you seriously believe that a server with keyboard, video and mouse ports could sit in a data center with no possibility of somebody connecting a keyboard, video, or mouse, you really shouldn't be shopping for dedicated servers.

There is no circumstance where you can host remotely without trusting the place housing the box. None.

Edit — maybe you didn't get the services you paid for (in which case that should be made right), but any talk of KVM access and "civil rights" marks you as being so seriously out of touch with the industry that it's very easy to write you off as a nutbar and/or noob. Really, let that part go.

Steve

That is pretty bad practice from any hosting company though. Were the cages not locked?

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

1 edit

1 recommendation

MineCoast to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
I'm not going to say much as I don't want to get into a battle here. However, you did send me:

[ REMOVED ]

I issued you a refund on PayPal for the full amount (even though you used the server for nearly a month) and then I simply reformatted the server to install windows on it. I did not in anyway "steal" the data, It appears the server was running linux which I have no knowledge of so I wouldn't even know how to even pull anything off it if I wanted to. I don't see how you expect corenetworks or myself to give you any data back when the server was reformatted and you said "It can all be blown away".

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by MineCoast:

I don't see how you expect corenetworks or myself to give you any data back when the server was reformatted and you said "It can all be blown away".

I don't know what sort of communication you had but it seems like MTB was caught by surprise by all this and lack of communication from you.

So I ask, what if someone else here took the server from you instead and DID put some important stuff on it or some business, revenue generating website? Would it have all been yanked just the same?

To me, a simple "Things fell through need the server back, please have anything you need pulled off within a day or two" seems like it would have been appreciated here.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
I'm not taking sides here, but posting IMs verbatim is a major faux pas here.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

said by AVD:

I'm not taking sides here, but posting IMs verbatim is a major faux pas here.

Simply trying to point out the facts and make a point. I'm not here to argue with anyone. If I get warned by a mod, then so be it.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

Consider this your warning.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

said by state:

Consider this your warning.

Understood.

Robert
Premium Member
join:2001-08-25
Miami, FL

Robert to MineCoast

Premium Member

to MineCoast
Why did you take back the server?

Steve
I know your IP address

Tustin, CA

Steve to MineCoast

to MineCoast
said by MineCoast:

I don't see how you expect corenetworks or myself to give you any data back when the server was reformatted and you said "It can all be blown away".

I've been in this position before where a customer said something could be blown away, and I would never do it based on a single message - this always warrants a confirmation:
said by me :

Let me make sure I understand - you've asked me to reformat the entire machine and remove it from service? This will destroy all data on that server, right?

I've gotten enough "Whoa, no, that's not what I meant" to not risk a misunderstanding for something so potentially catastrophic.

Steve

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast

Premium Member

It's been a learning experience, that's for sure and it won't be something that happens again.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
I deal with clients all the time that do not fully understand the ramifications of "Go ahead and reload", "nuke it", "I don't need anything", etc.

Always, always verify is the only advice I can make after reading the comments. That goes to both/all parties.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

verify, or just back up.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux

Premium Member

said by AVD:

verify, or just back up.

Not always practical but good to do when possible. The 80GB iTunes collection may be another story

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

on a server?
MTB
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

Interesting how a person that does not know Linux posts on the DSLR forum.

Interesting how a person can also sell a person a server but never tell him that he still has access.

I would be interested to see what IM that he posted so that i could properly respond.

Still no IM apology or other This guy was not up front with anything he did and is just bad news. I found out about the problem when SSH was misteriously broken.

He needs to be booted from DSLR for dishonorable deals, acting in bad faith, stealing data, being disrespectful of a persons time, Posting IM's and lying about linux knowledge too.

A person needs to be able to have an opportunity to secure data for himself The only reloading would have been to make 4 partitions and/or a VM so that I could test, develop and deploy as required.

MineCoast
Premium Member
Pensacola, FL

MineCoast to MTB

Premium Member

to MTB
I have requested that this thread be closed. This has been many weeks ago and at this point is a direct personal attack towards me.

1. You received a full refund, including the setup fee as well as the full month you paid for, you pretty much had the server for free for a month.

2. You informed me that the server can be wiped and was not needed, mods can PM me for a copy of that PM if needed. You said you still had a few months left on your VPS and that you didn't use this server.

Enough is enough. Close the thread already.

swintec
Premium Member
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by MineCoast:

Enough is enough.

You have been very cryptic about this whole thing, dodging the direct questions along the lines of Why did you take the server back?

The whole thing is a head scratcher to say the least. Maybe »Webhosting FAQ »Hosting hall of shame worthy?