how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dbiz

join:2000-01-29
Reno, NV

Emails from Router for Logs and Alerts

Emailing router logs and alerts should be clearcut, but I cannot make it work. I've tried two different smtp servers I currently use. The image below shows the settings I've entered in my DGN2200. This is the error I get.

[email failed] fail to connect to outgoing mail server, Saturday, Mar 31,2012 00:01:15

Has anyone else had luck with Netgear's email function for logs and alerts?

--
AT&T DSL Direct - 6MB, Netgear DGN2200 gateway modem

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium
join:2001-01-29
Proverbs 3

Some ISPs will not allow you to use another domain name for an smtp server. It cuts down on the amount spam out there..

Try using one of your AT&T email accounts.
--
God's Not Dead
He's Surely Alive.

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dbiz

said by dbiz:

Emailing router logs and alerts should be clearcut, but I cannot make it work. I've tried two different smtp servers I currently use. The image below shows the settings I've entered in my DGN2200. This is the error I get.

[email failed] fail to connect to outgoing mail server, Saturday, Mar 31,2012 00:01:15

[att=1]

I think Google requires a non-standard port... did you set that?

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS3 or SSL: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465

Chubbysumo

join:2009-12-01
Superior, WI
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to dbiz

said by dbiz:

[att=1]

This function is available, but disabled thru many ISPs, since it tries to send the mail out on port 25, which is blocked by most ISPs from residential connections to prevent/cut spam. Nothing you can do about it, but have it mail it to a local network address in box.

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dbiz

On my Netgear WNDR3700 I have a similar issue in that I can't use smtp.gmail.com as it uses a port that the Netgear doesn't support.

I use 1and1 for some of my domains, and they use the standard SMTP ports so I setup a special e-mail just for the logs and have it forward to my main e-mail account at Gmail.

As others said your ISP may also be blocking Port 25 so that might be worth investigating as well.
--
»www.caryontech.com