share rss forum feed

JRSlater
What's that smell? Oh, it's you.
Premium
join:2008-01-11
Out There

1 recommendation

[FYI] My dear friends

I am posting this just to give you a heads up as to why I won't be around much, if at all. I debated just deleting my account and walking away but I felt you guys deserved at least a brief explanation before I vanish altogether.

Nearly four weeks ago my lovely wife had a stroke. It was a massive stroke that covered nearly the entire left side of her brain. How she survived it is beyond any explanation I can muster. Part of me is grateful I still have her and part of me wishes she wasn't suffering so. My wife is that type of person that is flamboyant, outgoing and the center of everything. She enjoys taking charge of projects when she knows she is permitted to do so. Sometimes she does it anyways. lol

I do hope you good people understand why I may no longer be hanging around these parts. I will try and stop by from time to time. It's amazing how your priorities are made so obvious to you when something like this happens.

as a final piece of advice, please make sure you keep your blood pressure under control. It's the main cause of strokes. Also, I highly suggest you get a power of attorney, Will, and living will. I can not emphasize enough how important these documents are when the unexpected disaster hits. I have been fortunate up to this point but I feel many of the companies I have to deal with will soon start to question my legal standing in regards to my wife's affairs and it's going to be a mess when that happens.

Take care and keep those shutters clicking.

Jeff
--
»www.jrslaterphotography.com/

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

1 recommendation

My mother in law had a stoke 5 years ago. She was over 65 at the time. She has actually recovered quite well from not being able to move one side of her body at all. They said it was "large". Therapy and lots of will power have today left her with only two signs that she even had one: she cannot get nouns correct (people's names, things, etc) and her leg muscles tighten up so she sometimes has a limp. Apparently that can be treated with botox! She will not bother to do it.

It will get better as bad as it seems now.
--
The irony of common sense, it is not that common.
I cannot deny anything I did not say.
A kitten dies every time someone uses "then" and "than" incorrectly.
I mock people who give their children odd spelling of names.

Pistolpete
Premium
join:2006-03-06
4,000 Holes
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
So sorry to hear about your wife Jeff.I'm sure all of us here pray for a speedy recovery.

badd
Premium
join:2001-10-04
De Queen, AR
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
So sorry to hear this Jeff. I hope that things will get better for her over time. With you and the man above helping I am sure there is a good chance of that happening.
--
He had a photographic memory which was never developed.

cabana
Department of Adjustments
Premium,Mod
join:2000-07-07
New York, NY

4 recommendations

Jeff ...

I know I speak for the community here ... we support you ... no matter where you are ... how often you are here makes no difference.

You do what you have to do!

Let us know if there is anything we can do ... this community is huge and we all have experience with the "big" stuff.

Sometimes you may need a place to simply come and sit ... and be ... we will leave the light on for you...

Every good energy is sent your way for you and your wife.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
Jeff, please pass our best wishes and prayers to your wife. As you may remember, we met at Vandalia a few years back.

two years ago, a friend of ours suffered a similar stroke and loss of function after knee surgery. She's been slowly regaining strength and is determined to make the best recovery she can, and to enjoy her time with a family and friends.

Your wife sounds like she's the kind of person who will make the best of her situation. With your help and understanding she'll do just that.

Your advice on the paperwork is well founded. I'd also add a provisional health care specific power of attorney to avoid issues with access to HIPAA information and dealing with insurance companies and providers.

Again, our prayers and wishes for recovery! No need to delete your account - we're still here and hope you'll drop in to update us.

EG and spouse

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
Thank you for the kind words. She is recovering and that is what is important. Her biggest challenge is to know when to stop as she doesn't have any patience.

I must say, I am impressed with the insurance company. They have covered quite a lot up to this point. I was anticipating to be in huge whole by now and sor far the bills have been a lot smaller than I expected. I guess that is a small blessing.
--

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
Cabana said it all for me. Having gone through a similar thing with a 27 year old nephew, I know all too well the strength it can take to help, love, and just try to send energy, good energy, to the one that needs it. Take care of her and yourself. Remember, you are just as important now, so heed your own advice about BP. We will all send you whatever positive energy the One above allows.

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

9 recommendations

reply to JRSlater
Well, that is a bunch of good news! Looks like I won't have to 'disappear" as I once thought. My lovely wife is returning home this weekend! Even better news is that the docs think she will be recovered enough not to have the need for a wheel chair. YEah! I don't have to sell my gear!! well, at least not yet.
--

nklb
Premium
join:2000-11-17
Ann Arbor, MI
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by JRSlater:

My lovely wife is returning home this weekend! Even better news is that the docs think she will be recovered enough not to have the need for a wheel chair. YEah!

good to hear!

drew
Automatic
Premium
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA
kudos:6

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
Fantastic news! I really hope things go well for you two.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24

2 recommendations

reply to JRSlater
What a relief! Good news can't come fast enough, and that news is great. I hope that she continues on a steady recovery path so you both can smile again.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

2 recommendations

reply to JRSlater
said by JRSlater:

My lovely wife is returning home this weekend! Even better news is that the docs think she will be recovered enough not to have the need for a wheel chair. YEah!

Jeff, if at all possible, I would suggest a physical therapy facility immediately. Once she is home and realizes the ease and comfort of a wheel chair, it will be that much harder for her to accept rehabilitation in the future.

--
April is National Autism Awareness Month

Live from NirvanaLand™

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
We wish her a speedy recovery! stay strong, our prayers are with you

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

4 recommendations

reply to Coma
said by Coma:

Jeff, if at all possible, I would suggest a physical therapy facility immediately. Once she is home and realizes the ease and comfort of a wheel chair, it will be that much harder for her to accept rehabilitation in the future.

Way ahead of you. She's been in therapy for three weeks, getting speech, occupational and physical therapies every day including weekends! Her stroke happened on the 1st of March and was in therapy four days later. Sorry for not making that clear earlier in my post.

Thanks for the kind words, prayers and positive thoughts. I don't think she would be this far along in her recovery hadn't it not been for good folks like you awesome people. She is young (45) and the docs say that is the one thing that is going to work in her favor. She is moving her right leg pretty well now, can walk nearly a half a block with assistance and even can climb stairs. Her speech is still broken up and hard to understand and she still can't move her right arm but I suspect that in six months time, she will be well on her way to full recovery or very close to it.
--

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

said by JRSlater:

She is young (45) and the docs say that is the one thing that is going to work in her favor.

Age was another question I had, thank you.

With the additional info you provided, I see a positive prognosis.

Your off the hook here so take care of your wife and report back in six months.

Good luck friend.

--
April is National Autism Awareness Month

Live from NirvanaLand™

KittyMom
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:9

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
So glad to hear she (and you) has the worst behind her. From what you said about her personality in your initial post, I was convinced she would come through this with good results.

I'll keep you both in my prayers.

rockhounds_5
Premium
join:2004-07-29
Lewisville, TX

2 recommendations

reply to JRSlater
He's hoping for strength for both of you during this trying time. Thanks for the head's up, and keep us posted as to her progress. Peace, Malcolm.

JRSlater
Premium
Out There
reply to KittyMom
said by KittyMom:

So glad to hear she (and you) has the worst behind her.

I don't know about that, at least not yet. They did find an aneurysm that they recommend be fixed.

Thank you for the prayers, it's greatly appreciated.
--

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

They did find an aneurysm

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

1 recommendation

yeah, one thing at a time right.

KittyMom
Premium
join:2005-05-15
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
said by JRSlater:

said by KittyMom:

So glad to hear she (and you) has the worst behind her.

I don't know about that, at least not yet. They did find an aneurysm that they recommend be fixed.

Thank you for the prayers, it's greatly appreciated.

Absolutely and I'm sure they won't want to waste time waiting to fix it if at all possible. The good news is that they found it before it found her. One step at a time and it sounds like you will have to keep reminding her not to try and sprint!!
--
Do Not Meddle In The Affairs of Dragons. . .
For You Are Crunchy and Good With Ketchup!!

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
My thoughts and prayers are with both of you. Here's hoping for continual improvement each and every day!

waynegilbert
Blessed
Premium
join:2004-09-26
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

reply to JRSlater
My friend lost his mother a week ago complications from a major stroke. I'm wishing you strength, peace and praying for you're wife to comeback to you stronger and healthier.

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

1 recommendation

Thank you, she had a pretty bad day yesterday but she's doing well overall. I think I'll take her to the park this weekend if the weather is nice. I think she could use a change of scenery.
--

bostechie
I'm too old to know everything
Premium
join:2002-02-05
Boston, MA

1 recommendation

Jim,
I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep both you and your wife in my prayers for a speedy and significant recovery.
- Taylor
--
"Life is too important to be taken seriously" - Oscar Wilde
"NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF HUMAN STUPIDITY"

JRSlater
Premium
Out There
I don't know who Jim is but the thought is appreciated.

Jeff
--

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6
Damn it, Jim, he's a photographer, not a magician!
--
Government so small, it fits in your uterus.

JRSlater
Premium
Out There

7 recommendations

reply to JRSlater
Just an update in case anyone wanted to know. The wife is putting sentences together, her spanish is coming back quicker than her english. She is walking better every day though she still hasn't moved her right arm yet. It's still frustratingly slow but she continues to improve and that is all I care about at the moment.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

said by JRSlater:

Just an update in case anyone wanted to know. ... she continues to improve and that is all I care about at the moment.

Excellent news! She's fortunate to have a guy like you to support her. Hello to her from us..