dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
MTB
join:2007-06-29
Newport Beach, CA

MTB

Re: Can MJimLay be black listed on DSLR?

I originally paid approx $54.00 $34.95 for setup and $19.95 monthly fee. I would have to look to see if I ate a transaction fee or 2.

He asked me a few times how the server was working. I am not sure if this was because he was curious as to if somebody else got the server running, weather I was just a place holder while he tried to figure out his new server.

I did not hear back from him so I started IMing him because the next payment was due and I also felt that it was time to get the server completely transferred into my name. I also ws asking him about running a vm on that machine since seems to have done tht before.

After I realized that I could no longer access the machine and started contacting corenetworks to figure out the account status I was sent a paypal refund from what appeared to be his sister or wife's account.

Small claims will not work since it is out of the CA juristiction and small claims typically does not award you damages for your own work only work that you have paid for. I would have to file a civil claim in CA, FL or MI perhaps

He did violate my civil rights by using a KVM backdoor to access my personal data which included my php code, work related letters, resume, email backup, financial information, bank and other protected information.

I never knew that anybody had access via KVM. I thought it was an option to be installed. I can also say that in my IM's he side stepped my KVM questions. I did not think it wa a big deal since I was ok with installing debian servers from a basic terminal.

bdnhsv
join:2012-01-20
Huntsville, AL

bdnhsv

So you got your entire $54 dollars back, correct? As for the data - who knows if he pilfered it. Was the cure for cancer or something?

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve to MTB

to MTB
said by MTB:

He did violate my civil rights by using a KVM backdoor to access my personal data which included my php code, work related letters, resume, email backup, financial information, bank and other protected information.

If you seriously believe that a server with keyboard, video and mouse ports could sit in a data center with no possibility of somebody connecting a keyboard, video, or mouse, you really shouldn't be shopping for dedicated servers.

There is no circumstance where you can host remotely without trusting the place housing the box. None.

Edit — maybe you didn't get the services you paid for (in which case that should be made right), but any talk of KVM access and "civil rights" marks you as being so seriously out of touch with the industry that it's very easy to write you off as a nutbar and/or noob. Really, let that part go.

Steve

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium Member
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN

ViviTheMage

Premium Member

said by Steve:

said by MTB:

If you seriously believe that a server with keyboard, video and mouse ports could sit in a data center with no possibility of somebody connecting a keyboard, video, or mouse, you really shouldn't be shopping for dedicated servers.

There is no circumstance where you can host remotely without trusting the place housing the box. None.

Edit — maybe you didn't get the services you paid for (in which case that should be made right), but any talk of KVM access and "civil rights" marks you as being so seriously out of touch with the industry that it's very easy to write you off as a nutbar and/or noob. Really, let that part go.

Steve

That is pretty bad practice from any hosting company though. Were the cages not locked?