how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

xspork

@comcast.net
reply to Wayne99021

Re: [Connectivity] Help: We accidentally cut our comcast HCI lin

Just a quick update, I buried the cable with my repair and we had heavy rain the past 2 days. Signal strengths still fine and no issues with either HSI or our cable. Still looking good!

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by xspork :

Just a quick update, I buried the cable with my repair and we had heavy rain the past 2 days. Signal strengths still fine and no issues with either HSI or our cable. Still looking good!

Great! sounds like ya did a good job!

mb

join:2000-07-23
Washington, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to xspork
Just so you know, corrosion takes a while to occur, if it does, resistance will develop and signal levels will drop. This is similar to the way a brand new penny takes a while to turn from bright and shiny red to that dull dark brown, or green if it repeatedly gets wet...

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to AVD
Yes, for a house connection. Done properly.

There is no reason that irrigation should be in before the conduit is laid. The conduit should go in early with conduits for power, cable, and phone service, and then the wires pulled through later. I'm sure there's a lot of shoddy work out there, but that's how it's done right.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to xspork
your lucky this time next time it will be a gas line

BiggA

EARTH
Or 240AC lol.

exfieldtech

@xplornet.com
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

NO NO NO! 4" is NOT OK. Cable should be buried at least 18-24" below, in a trench with crushed stone and PVC conduit, and any appropriate barriers/drainage material put in. Direct burial is just doing a crappy job. Ours are probably 24-36" down in ~2" PVC conduit that is laid in crushed stone. It runs along with telco and power lines, each in separate conduits. Even our pool wiring is probably 18" underground, in trenched-in conduit.

Well then that would require the customers paying to have it put that deep. Up here in Canada there is limited time to bury cable and 9.9 times out of 10 drops are just spaded in anywhere from 4-8 inches depending on the shovel and ground levels. I agree everything should be in conduit but then expenses will go up and so will your bills. I have been doing this for many years and the time I was in West Palm beach working for adelphia as an installation tech we had to bury all new drops, we had 25 techs, I can't see 25 trenchers, rolls of conduit going out with every truck to bury a line 25-50 ft from the tap, imagine the costs involved.....its not happening buddy!

exfiledtech

@xplornet.com
reply to BiggA
said by BiggA:

Yes, for a house connection. Done properly.

There is no reason that irrigation should be in before the conduit is laid. The conduit should go in early with conduits for power, cable, and phone service, and then the wires pulled through later. I'm sure there's a lot of shoddy work out there, but that's how it's done right.

In southern florida there where no drops to new houses, they were only installed when the customer ordered service and many times those irrigations systems are already in place.....

BiggA

EARTH
That's really poor planning on the developer's part. The conduit should go in with the electrical and phone service, separated in the trench.

The conduit doesn't cost that much if you throw a few extra conduits down there when roughing in electric service.

I can't blame the cable company for doing a shitty job if the customer didn't prepare conduit for them. It's the home builder or owner's responsibility to have an empty conduit ready for cable installation if they want to do cable. If we ever got FTTH, for example, we either have an extra conduit, or if not, we would re-pull it with a new phone line and fiber by using the old phone line. Irony is the street has a conduit for fiber, but AT&T doesn't do FTTH, so it's just sitting there empty.

When the builder build the house, he trenched in conduit for power, phone and cable, and buried it with pull lines in it. CL&P, AT&T, and Comcast each pulled their cable through those conduits, and made the appropriate connections to the electrician's wiring inside the house.

It's not exactly rocket science to do conduit installation. You have to CBYD, you probably need a backhoe unless it's a short run, some crushed stone, and some conduit.

IIRC, in New England, the trenching actually has to be done below the frost depth, which is about 48" here. Too much less, and it will frost heave. They might be able to get away with a bit less, but it's not 6 or 12" down.
Expand your moderator at work

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to xspork

Re: [Connectivity] Help:We accidentally cut our comcast HSI line

it this thread backwards?

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to BiggA

Thats how its done all over the United sates for the last ten years or so. But not all house were built in the last ten to twenty years. I guarantee i could come up to new england and find houses without conduit. The way its usually done is the builder gets in touch with the local phone and cable company and has the conduit supplied by them. The cable company wasnt always willing to supply conduit to someone that may or may not get service from them. The phone company often just supplied the phone line for direct burial.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
You can find houses built last week here with no conduit for anything. People won't pay for it. Direct bury it goes.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

Jonasjlp

join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA
reply to gar187er
trust me, Comcast does not believe in locates. They showed up one day to do a buried drop with a road bore at my house. Never called in a locate. They kicked the line in from the street almost all the way up to my house about 3 inches deep. When they were almost done, I called the township and the codes inspector came out, busted them for not having a locate and made them rip out the line because it wasn't deep enough.

BiggA

EARTH
reply to rody_44
I'm not saying there isn't any shoddy and low-quality work done. Yes, there is. I'm saying that quality work is done with conduit in crushed stone, several feet down. Enforcement of quality may have gotten better over the years.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to Jonasjlp
I worked in downingtown, They dont have a code for depth. Your contractor got busted for not having a road crossing permit and a locate.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to Jonasjlp
I dont work for comcast any longer but is still go head to head on why we dont need permits to replace drops. Some townships think they can require it. If they would actually read the dam franchise agreement THEY signed they would see we dont need permits. I especially like the townships that think they deserve a per foot permit. I work for service electric now and run into the same shit every day. A township saying you need a permit and us saying no we dont. the advantage of working for service electric we get to call the guy that actually negotiated the franchise agreement and he calls and shows them exactly where it says we dont need a permit. They are wrong all over the multiple counties the franchise agreement specifies no permits needed for replacement lines only new build. They can be a pain in the ass but all franchise agreements pretty well cover the fact that repairs or replacemes dont require permits.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to xspork

I'd complain that it seems likely it wasn't as deep as it should have been

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
There isnt anyone getting charged for a drop at 4 inches.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
IMO the drop depth should be at minimum below any tool that a common homeowner might use

and the OP should have called in and seen what happened.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
I agree 100 percent on that. No way a drop should be less than 8 inches and in my opinion should not be less than 12 inches. 8 inches is a comcast spec. The average spade shovel is about 12 inches. But you would have to be able to kick underground to reach that with a spade shovel. Not that you cant. But really its only a cable line. Cut it and we will replace it. Its really no big deal. The op comcast paid a contractor to locate it and he didnt do his job correctly. Most likely comcast is going to want them to pay something for missmarking it. i dont blame them, if i paid someone to locate the line and they were off ide want it paid also. Not by the homeowner but by the person i paid to locate the line.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
Well a shovel has the intent of digging and thus that 811 number that was mentioned should be called.

but an edger, tiller, airator, ect shouldn't be able to reach a buried cable. IMO

If you are intending to dig then call 811 but if its just a surface perp or similer then you shouldn't have to.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Jonasjlp

said by Jonasjlp:

trust me, Comcast does not believe in locates. They showed up one day to do a buried drop with a road bore at my house. Never called in a locate. They kicked the line in from the street almost all the way up to my house about 3 inches deep. When they were almost done, I called the township and the codes inspector came out, busted them for not having a locate and made them rip out the line because it wasn't deep enough.

amazing, cause everytime i go out for a cable replacement, i see locates....guess my contractors are better then the ones in your area....
--
I'm better than you!

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Yes GAR, comcast has a contract down there with the same company that marks the electric. STS to be exact

BiggA

EARTH
reply to rody_44

Or the homeowner could do it correctly by preparing conduit for Comcast, and not have to worry about it later on...

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
reply to gar187er

thats the difference between contractors and employees.

depster

join:2001-06-07
united state
reply to xspork

I had contacted Miss-Dig in our area and have yet to have the residential underground cables marked. Pole to Ped and Ped to Ped cables were marked; however, no Ped to home markers.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ
said by depster:

I had contacted Miss-Dig in our area and have yet to have the residential underground cables marked. Pole to Ped and Ped to Ped cables were marked; however, no Ped to home markers.

like I said, this varies by jurisdiction.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.