uniqs
share rss forum feed

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to DarkLogix

Re: [Connectivity] Help:We accidentally cut our comcast HSI line

There isnt anyone getting charged for a drop at 4 inches.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

IMO the drop depth should be at minimum below any tool that a common homeowner might use

and the OP should have called in and seen what happened.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit

I agree 100 percent on that. No way a drop should be less than 8 inches and in my opinion should not be less than 12 inches. 8 inches is a comcast spec. The average spade shovel is about 12 inches. But you would have to be able to kick underground to reach that with a spade shovel. Not that you cant. But really its only a cable line. Cut it and we will replace it. Its really no big deal. The op comcast paid a contractor to locate it and he didnt do his job correctly. Most likely comcast is going to want them to pay something for missmarking it. i dont blame them, if i paid someone to locate the line and they were off ide want it paid also. Not by the homeowner but by the person i paid to locate the line.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

Well a shovel has the intent of digging and thus that 811 number that was mentioned should be called.

but an edger, tiller, airator, ect shouldn't be able to reach a buried cable. IMO

If you are intending to dig then call 811 but if its just a surface perp or similer then you shouldn't have to.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Jonasjlp

Re: [Connectivity] Help: We accidentally cut our comcast HCI lin

said by Jonasjlp:

trust me, Comcast does not believe in locates. They showed up one day to do a buried drop with a road bore at my house. Never called in a locate. They kicked the line in from the street almost all the way up to my house about 3 inches deep. When they were almost done, I called the township and the codes inspector came out, busted them for not having a locate and made them rip out the line because it wasn't deep enough.

amazing, cause everytime i go out for a cable replacement, i see locates....guess my contractors are better then the ones in your area....
--
I'm better than you!

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA

Yes GAR, comcast has a contract down there with the same company that marks the electric. STS to be exact

BiggA

join:2005-11-23
EARTH
reply to rody_44

Or the homeowner could do it correctly by preparing conduit for Comcast, and not have to worry about it later on...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
reply to gar187er

thats the difference between contractors and employees.

depster

join:2001-06-07
united state
reply to xspork

I had contacted Miss-Dig in our area and have yet to have the residential underground cables marked. Pole to Ped and Ped to Ped cables were marked; however, no Ped to home markers.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by depster:

I had contacted Miss-Dig in our area and have yet to have the residential underground cables marked. Pole to Ped and Ped to Ped cables were marked; however, no Ped to home markers.

like I said, this varies by jurisdiction.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to depster

You dont get everything marked when you call miss dig or whatever your state agency is. The official rule is you put white paint where you plan to dig. They mark whatever is 15 feet from that spot. If you dig outside the 15 foot spot its treated the same as never calling. The technology used to locate the lines involves putting a small charge on the line to locate it. Of course since Phone, cable, electric are all bonded at the house its not a guarantee that it can even be located. Often times i show up to dig and just get a orange question mark at the ped. That just means the guy tried and failed to locate it. Ide rather have a question mark than a guess of where it is. Of course the person has to swallow a little pride to leave a question mark.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

many times i end up having my locate bleed over to electric, or phone.....sometimes their isnt anything to do but put shovel to dirt and pray.
--
I'm better than you!

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to gar187er

said by gar187er:

you will NEVER find a catv drop 18" underground.....3-6" sure.....not 18".....it shouldnt take an hour to dig up a drop....

I wouldn't say never.. Although very rare, during the time I worked @ Comcast I encountered a few u/g drops buried 2' or deeper. I recall one service call.. I forget what they were doing, but the customer had called the PA 1 Call, I could see the flags and paint markings. Nevertheless the backhoe found and pulled up their RG6 drop - at a depth close to 3 feet.

I guess it all depends on who installs the line, normally it's 8-12 inches but some builders around here have been known to bury lines rather deep. I don't have to tell you what a royal pain that can be, especially if it's raining or just recently rained.

beerbum
Premium
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Jonasjlp

said by Jonasjlp:

HA!!!! like comcast actually comes out to mark their buried loops. it's cheaper for them to hope you don't hit it and to send a tech out in the off chance you do than to hire a third party locator to come out and mark their cable.

actually they do.. the system I worked in had two people whose job was dedicated to doing 1-call drop / line marking..

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by beerbum:

said by Jonasjlp:

HA!!!! like comcast actually comes out to mark their buried loops. it's cheaper for them to hope you don't hit it and to send a tech out in the off chance you do than to hire a third party locator to come out and mark their cable.

actually they do.. the system I worked in had two people whose job was dedicated to doing 1-call drop / line marking..

for house connections?
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

beerbum
Premium
Reading, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by AVD:

said by beerbum:

said by Jonasjlp:

for house connections?

yes.. for the distribution system they mostly relied on system maps, but for underground house drops they used some rather expensive equipment to detect and trace the line..

it's probably one of those system specific deals.. they started doing it when it was AT&T and just carried over when Comcast took over.

Amerikan

join:2012-04-15
Tucson, AZ
reply to gar187er

Ok so typically bury depth varies by place but yes usually needs to be 12" however let's not forget erosion and other factors that will cause drop to migrate higher to surface also I don't know about out there but where I am they will only mark major utilities. I.e. main power water gas and telco which is just the drop not outlets. Home owner is always responsible for private lines which would include a burried outlet. Also usually company will not charge if trench is open and cable is exposed. However if it is a outlet and you "fixed" it and later call for service call you will be charged to replace outlet but if it's the drop coming from tap (street) to house that will usually always be free to replace unless a company hit it in which case usually they will be charged if customer releases that information. Hopefully this will shed light into this and also all comments posted by me are strictly MY opinion and should not reflect any company standards or guidelines.

gustavenla68

join:2011-02-24
Carlisle, PA

I thought depth was not the issue. I thought how you use it was more important.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

Not the size of the wave, it'sthe motion of the ocean.

flwpwr

@comcast.net
reply to xspork

Every office is different, but call in tell them you will not be home, don't answer the phone or door, mark the area clearly and the tech will likely be given a non charge Maintenance/repair job, be in and out in 10 minutes and the repair will be done right.

Otherwise, do whatever you're going to do, and when you get disconnected with a leakage/noise tag, just remember, it was your choice.

Expand your moderator at work