spc
Search similar:

uniqs

doyling
join:2004-09-22
Ingleside, IL

doyling

Video Problems on Units with Decoder Cards

Went away for the weekend and all was well until I returned home. I have two TiVo's with M cards and two TV with just straight cable running in. The units with the M cards show searching for signal on most channels, or serious pixelation and audio scrambled. The TV's running straight off the cable show proper, no problems. Reviewing TiVo history, shows recorded on Saturday appear proper, but shows recorded Sunday morning are jibberish. I have tried leaving my modem unplugged but no difference. I have also unplugged my sigal booster and saw a serious drop in signal quality so it must be working. I see other posts about up and down stream and db and so on, not sure what that means and how to calculate. I spend quite some time on the phone with the help desk and was eventually told they will send a truck. So, I am hoping someone can give me a hand and save a Technician some time.

Dan? I am missing the ball game.
hudiat
join:2011-10-13

hudiat

This applies to tivo HD, possibly others but I have never used others to verify.

Messages and settings-account and system info-DVR diagnostics. It should show signal strength and SNR. I have had no issues with a signal as low as 80 and an SNR of 31. However 90% of the time my signal is in the 90's and SNR is 33-35, with no issues. Also check corrected and uncorrected errors on that page. Ideally you should have almost none. I have 0 uncorrected and 800 corrected, and that is being tuned to the channel for 18 hours.

doyling
Ingleside, IL

doyling

Wow, thank you. Signal Strength is 40, SNR is 26db. RS Uncorrected is 6006015 and corrected is 1051172 and climbing. Guess I have a signal problem. Gues I will have to wait for the WOW guy on Tuesday.
hudiat

hudiat

Yeah those numbers are really bad. But if it's only those 2 devices it may be a splitter or something else. You can try different coax cables, move TiVo to a different location in the house with working service and try there. It may just be easier to wait for the tech. Especially if you have the protection plan.

doyling
Ingleside, IL

doyling

Thank you, straight cable no splitter is showing 43 so not much better, but at least not dropping out. I tried changing splitters and not much of an improvement. Not sure how the protection plan works, they charged me $400 a few years ago to replace the coax in the house when I got WOW, and the splitter is theirs.
hudiat

hudiat

I'm not sure how it works exactly. Does it only cover the truck roll? Or all work too?

May want to add it before the tech comes, and keep it atleast a little while after just in case.

Just_Dan
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Denver, CO

Just_Dan to doyling

Premium Member

to doyling
Definitely looks like a signal problem, and if you do have the SPP, it should cover that service call, if you don't have it, you can sign up for it when the tech is there and save the cost of the truck roll if there ends up being a charge (if the issue is not in your home, you would not be charged).

»www.wowway.com/internet- ··· on-plan/

doyling
Ingleside, IL

doyling

Thank you everyone. Not sure why I would have to pay for anything, clearly the signal coming in is bad. If they try to charge my wife for this, I will have to drop, prices are up there already. I really have no protection, the rep can say anything he wants, even when it's wrong, like the time they told me my router used up all 4 of my avaliable IP's. Lets see, 4-1 leaves 3 avaliable. Or the guy who said the tap split was on backwards, or the guy who came after him who said the tap split was backwards or the guy who came and said he made a second drop because of constant ground loops but instead put a splitter in my wall. Yes, can't wait to hear what they come up with this time.