how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to jfmezei

Re: Globe & Other 2011-44 (UBB) articles

That reminds me of Number 2's Starbucks reference in Austin Powers.

Tim Hortons is a franchise. They actually rely on "resellers" to buy their supply at wholesale level and license their name. The only part they might object to is not using their trademark.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

»www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2···nes.html

>Bell Canada and subsidiary Bell Aliant are looking to double the cash cost of making a local payphone call to $1.

>Bell and Bell Aliant are also seeking to double the cost of non-cash payphone payments — such as those made by credit cards — from the current $1 to $2.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

2 edits

This JUST In - BIG NEWS ITEM !

START is LIVE in COGECO-Land !

YEP, UP and RUNNING !

»Start Communications in Cogecoland - Live, with a Review!

Congrats to START on this Breakthrough !

Mirko, is that a bead of perspiration on your brow - a worried look in your eye ?

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Ott_Cable

Telephone Do Not Call List gets stop-gap funding

Not quite UBB, but CRTC related:
»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···2391917/ "Telephone Do Not Call List gets stop-gap funding"

>The federal government is throwing a financial lifeline to the national Do Not Call List.
>This week, it announced that it had taken enforcement action against 85 companies for breaking the telemarketing rules following a five-month investigation.

>Out of that total, the CRTC issued citations to 74 companies that had failed to register with the DNCL operator or subscribe to the list. It also issued notices of violation to 11 others for more serious issues, while also levying fines totalling $41,000.

Averaging over 11 companies, the fine is only $3727 per company. $41K is barely enough to pay for the loaded labor rate for one person doing this for 5 months assuming CRTC actually get to keep the fine.

May be they should make the effort self sustaining. i.e. make it rely on fines and subscription to the DNCL to fund itself. That way, they might actually have realistic fines the guilty companies instead of patting them softly on the heads.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

More CRTC news:
»www.theglobeandmail.com/report-o···=2392076

"CRTC weighs national code for wireless firms"
>Its overarching goal is to determine whether this country’s mobile market has changed enough for it to resume active regulation of the terms and conditions for wireless service contracts – a practice that it largely abandoned almost 20 years ago. A decision is expected later this year.

>In February, Telus Corp. (T-T58.350.250.43%) asked the CRTC to hold a public consultation and determine what national standards should apply to wireless contracts to improve transparency.

>That was followed by a similar request by Rogers Communications Inc. (RCI.B-T39.930.280.71%) last month. As part of its application, Rogers took the extra step of providing a draft consumer code that it hopes will serve as a starting point for discussion.

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com

This one is OT, but I think online privacy is important: »cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2012/···621.html
"Toronto cops threw the (Face)book at her"

>TORONTO - Artist Lizz Aston used to think her picture on Facebook helped business until Toronto Police used it as an online suspect lineup.

>"I was recently accused of assault and arrested based on a thumbnail photo from my profile pic on Facebook," she wrote on the very same Facebook page. "Please let this be an eye opener."

>When she called an officer told her "there was an altercation at the bar, two girls got in a fight and the girl who was assaulted has pointed you out as being her assaulter through a photo on Facebook."

>Trusting the system she went in Jan. 7 and explained "I wasn't even there and showed her old text messages on my phone to prove it."

>Aston said, the officer "read me my rights. I was searched, finger printed and processed."

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

For those interested in the "transparency" issue of costing.

Konrad von Finckenstein provides a good overview of the CRTC's confidentiality issues and how it relates to access to information.

This was at the ethics committee.

»www.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness···41&Ses=1

The video is available on video
Meeting 8
October 18, 2011 8:49 a.m. - 10:49 a.m. (EDT)
Centre Block, Room: 237-C

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23

April 4th 2012 marked the 4th anniversary of my first submission to the CRTC on the internet access. (throttling). It was also the start of the throttling fight at the CRTC.

»www.crtc.gc.ca/PartVII/eng/2008/···5153.htm

It's been hell. I've made ennemies and friends. Blood has been shed, insults flung about. But went from being an unkown to filing a petition to governor in council and causing headaches to a lot of people because of that

The Bell letter that confirmed the throttling:

downloadCustomer let···ar28.pdf 26462 bytes

The highly illegal pictures from inside the INDU hearing (pictures are strictly verboten at committee hearings unless you are accredited journalist, but we didn't know that when we were there)

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

♫ MEM-O-RIES.... ♬ [Think Streisand]

Nice haircuts though.

(Mine is shiny on the top, BTW)

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON
reply to jfmezei

Nice!

grunze510

join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC
kudos:1
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

The highly illegal pictures from inside the INDU hearing (pictures are strictly verboten at committee hearings unless you are accredited journalist, but we didn't know that when we were there)

You've probably written more on this issue than any newspaper journalist has, so I think you can be considered a journalist here, and therefore the pics are nice and legal.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to jfmezei

said by jfmezei:

It's been hell. I've made ennemies and friends. Blood has been shed, insults flung about. But went from being an unkown to filing a petition to governor in council and causing headaches to a lot of people because of that

It's amazing what you've managed to accomplish JF, as an individual.

You may have future in the regulatory industry just yet, let's just hope it's for the good side.
--
Tank Nation 2012